3 hundred year old table.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this past weekend, my wife and I went up to Salisbury Mass to a vintage bizarre show. Antiques, and vintage items and tons of repurposed items. On the way there we stopped by a yard sale that was close to the show. The sale was at an 18th century home with several great antiques. One of them was this small English 17th century gate-leg oak table. William & Mary circa 1690-1700. I knew exactly what it was before I said anything and this thing was screaming my name from the moment I got there. After talking about it with the seller (who knew what he was talking about), I asked how much. He says $30!! I hem and haw over it in my head ( because I'm running out of space at home and only had so much $$ on me at the time), and offered $30 for the table along with 3 small English brass candlesticks from the early 1800's. He said sold!! He just wanted to see it go to a good home and have someone enjoy it. This thing is so cool. It needed just a spot of wood glue on a couple of places and a good wipe down. It does have replaced hinges and had a case of wood worm holes but for three hundred years old, it's doing pretty good. All hand turned spindles and hand cut joints and pegs. A great tavern table for a crusty pirate like myself to belly up to.

At the vintage show, purchased a pair of sterling (weighted) candelabras and three sterling spoons for $26. ($20 for the candle pieces and $6 for the spoons). Not a bad day's hunting! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474917506.516388.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474917560.075415.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474917646.352170.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474917699.511419.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474917780.886445.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474917867.163222.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474917941.870591.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474917977.985765.jpg

Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job. People in the NE get to see a lot of great stuff. Here in Oklahoma that would have been $300.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job. People in the NE get to see a lot of great stuff. Here in Oklahoma that would have been $300.

Thanks! I think it's a solid $200-$400 piece here as well. The guy said he paid somewhere around $120-$150 several years ago at an antique shop.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DROOLING over that patina... Drawer pull hardware is beautiful too. 30 bucks?!?

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DROOLING over that patina... Drawer pull hardware is beautiful too. 30 bucks?!?

Yup. $30 bucks plus 3 early English brass candlesticks. It was after noon and he just wanted to move it and find it a good home. I could have spent all my money there but we still had the show to go to. The sterling was a fun find too! One of the pieces is a bit soft in the resin on the bottom, so I'm not sure if that will be a flipper or for scrap. The rods that hold the two outer ends is plated but the rest is sterling weighted. I'm guessing about two Troy ounces + or - for both pieces. They're made by Schwitzer silver Co. from the 50's-60's.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rods that hold the two outer ends is plated but the rest is sterling weighted.

double check on that before you toss. I have torn down ones that looked like that and somehow there is a very thin (like heavyduty AL foil) sterling wrap. Take a pair of vice grips, lock in place (not super tight) and twist. If sterling you will tear up the AG foil. A lot of work to get it off, but still 925.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
double check on that before you toss. I have torn down ones that looked like that and somehow there is a very thin (like heavyduty AL foil) sterling wrap. Take a pair of vice grips, lock in place (not super tight) and twist. If sterling you will tear up the AG foil. A lot of work to get it off, but still 925.

I discovered that breaking it apart last night. A lot of work taking it off but worth it. 1.76 ozt total for one piece. I'll flip the other one as its in decent shape.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you dare refinish that top or take that round stain off.

Oh don't you worry about that. I'm not touching a thing other than a couple of structure issues that I've already fixed with a bit of good wood glue and clamps. That's three hundred years worth of stains and patina. It's my favorite piece that we own so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread