Vintage Japanese Market Albums. Where do I sell these things?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by one estate sale yesterday with plans to purchase one item and get home quickly due to a birthday celebration starting in the afternoon. It didn't really work out that way and I ended up with some great stuff, all of being Japanese.

The Toyota tools will make me a buck or two and the Olympic reel already sold for 85.00 about an hour after being listed so now it comes down to these records.

I know less then nothing about records, especially when it comes to where to sell or what is good to buy. Since my father in law is Mr. Vinyl, I figured I'd give them to him and let him figure it out.

After the birthday dinner, we hung out in the living room and just listened to some of these albums for entertainment. Each album was a total surprise but you had no idea what to expect once it started playing. Some of them will definitely be kept in the collection and other will be sold.

Nearly all are perfect with no dust or damage. All are in sleeves with the booklet and plastic sleeve to cover the outside as well.

Does anybody have some input on these records? Are they worth more since they are Japanese market and are priced with Yen on the back cover? Is there a better place to sell them aside from eBay?

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    590.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG
    585 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    479.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 114

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. On a related note... I had a pipe burst under my sink last week. Woke up at 1 am with my house completely flooded. I lost several hundred albums among other things.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Nice find. On a related note... I had a pipe burst under my sink last week. Woke up at 1 am with my house completely flooded. I lost several hundred albums among other things.

That sucks. We had an unusually wet December followed by 10" of rain Christmas Eve. Enough water to raise the water table above the level of our basement forcing water through the slab. Totally sucked with a lot of loss.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your water problem... That's awful, we spend years collecting our ''stuff'' and it gets destroyed overnight... Sincerely, Tom

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great resource for old albums! Its going to take me the next 3 years to navigate the whole thing but its a place to start.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man I hate that for you. I hope you had insurance!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by one estate sale yesterday with plans to purchase one item and get home quickly due to a birthday celebration starting in the afternoon. It didn't really work out that way and I ended up with some great stuff, all of being Japanese.

The Toyota tools will make me a buck or two and the Olympic reel already sold for 85.00 about an hour after being listed so now it comes down to these records.

I know less then nothing about records, especially when it comes to where to sell or what is good to buy. Since my father in law is Mr. Vinyl, I figured I'd give them to him and let him figure it out.

After the birthday dinner, we hung out in the living room and just listened to some of these albums for entertainment. Each album was a total surprise but you had no idea what to expect once it started playing. Some of them will definitely be kept in the collection and other will be sold.

Nearly all are perfect with no dust or damage. All are in sleeves with the booklet and plastic sleeve to cover the outside as well.

Does anybody have some input on these records? Are they worth more since they are Japanese market and are priced with Yen on the back cover? Is there a better place to sell them aside from eBay?

Really cool records. I never saw those before. I'd be curious how they do.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul ! I got this Doors one a couple weeks ago at a barn sale . My Son in law (who lives next door ) is my record guru ! I showed it to him - he was impressed . He said the paper band in Japanese letters is called an Obi strip .
He sells lots of records in a group shop . He goes to his 9 -5 job , and every week he gets a check in the mail for his record sales .

Attachments

• 1960'S CALLED 017.jpg
    1960'S CALLED 017.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mojjax is right about the strips being called OBI strips. Take good care of them, they add to the value!

I've been a casual record collector for years, and have occasionally been known to set up at nearby record shows. My opinions are by no means gospel, but in this situation maybe they are of some use.

Japanese records were known for being generally of high quality (good vinyl, quality pressings) so they are often preferred by audiophiles. Sometimes foreign pressings of a given album would contain variations of a given release -- this takes research to uncover. And the Japanese often seemed to be on the cutting edge of things like premium quality audiophile pressings (half speed mastered, superdiscs etc.) and quadraphonic, which is my collecting interest -- anything like this will be marked in some way. All of these things can add collector value to a disc.

As a rule I think you will find that the Japanese LPs of most interest are those by bands that were popular here in the states or otherwise have some sort of following today. There are a lot more people looking for an obscure variation of a Pink Floyd album than for an obscure Japanese artist. (So I'd probably take that Doors LP in trade for the entire lot, if they were mine!) On eBay I would list Art Garfunkel, Diana Ross, and ABBA individually, and see if there's any interest. The others you might be better off selling in small lots. List similar music together; if you have multiple classical music LPs put them all together. Classical LPs are hit or miss for collector interest, but mostly miss in my experience. Condition is always very important, that means scratches, scuffs, dirt, and warpage as well as wear to the jackets.

These look too late for quad at a glance, but if you see that any of them say "CD4", "SQ", "QS", "RM" or anything like quad or quadraphonic, drop me a note!

Mark Z

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mojjax is right about the strips being called OBI strips. Take good care of them, they add to the value!

I've been a casual record collector for years, and have occasionally been known to set up at nearby record shows. My opinions are by no means gospel, but in this situation maybe they are of some use.

Japanese records were known for being generally of high quality (good vinyl, quality pressings) so they are often preferred by audiophiles. Sometimes foreign pressings of a given album would contain variations of a given release -- this takes research to uncover. And the Japanese often seemed to be on the cutting edge of things like premium quality audiophile pressings (half speed mastered, superdiscs etc.) and quadraphonic, which is my collecting interest -- anything like this will be marked in some way. All of these things can add collector value to a disc.

As a rule I think you will find that the Japanese LPs of most interest are those by bands that were popular here in the states or otherwise have some sort of following today. There are a lot more people looking for an obscure variation of a Pink Floyd album than for an obscure Japanese artist. (So I'd probably take that Doors LP in trade for the entire lot, if they were mine!) On eBay I would list Art Garfunkel, Diana Ross, and ABBA individually, and see if there's any interest. The others you might be better off selling in small lots. List similar music together; if you have multiple classical music LPs put them all together. Classical LPs are hit or miss for collector interest, but mostly miss in my experience. Condition is always very important, that means scratches, scuffs, dirt, and warpage as well as wear to the jackets.

These look too late for quad at a glance, but if you see that any of them say "CD4", "SQ", "QS", "RM" or anything like quad or quadraphonic, drop me a note!

Mark Z

Wow! That's a quite a bit to take in but appreciate the info. There is some truth to the albums being of higher quality. I noticed that nearly all of them were virtually spotless and sounded great. As for audiophiles, I'll ask the father in law once he's back in the country. He's seriously into music and has no problem spending big bucks for good equipment so he might be the one to ask about the records.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a number of albums by the Dark Ducks which were a super famous vocal quartet in Japan. Some is in Japanese while other songs are in English. They sound pretty good and are mildly entertaining so I think I might keep them and sell/give the rest to Dad.

There is another 10 album set by Fubuki Koshiji I saw listed in South Korea for 95.00. Maybe mine will do better here and I noticed the condition of my was far better then the on in South Korea.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said the paper band in Japanese letters is called an Obi strip .
That makes sense. An OBI is kind of like a belt. It is one of the last things a lady puts on when getting dressed in her kimono.
The obi strip wraps around the album spine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions