Ivory bangle + Weirdly marked 10k ring. Thoughts?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a brief post about the ivory and ring but this a more in depth post of these two items. I had the ivory confirmed as real. Now I know it's illegal to sell on eBay and what not but I really have no plans on selling it. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? How much could it be worth? The craftsmanship on it is so delicate and intricate, I paid $2 for it. Has anyone sold ivory before anywhere?
20161006_230503_resized.jpg 20161006_230514_resized.jpg 20161006_230522_resized.jpg
Next is this jade ring I found. The marking is J0K Spring any idea? It tested positive 10k but I have never seen this marking before. Weighs 6.7 grams paid $40 for it.
20161006_230551_resized.jpg 20161006_230556_resized.jpg 20161006_230600_resized.jpg 20161006_230639_resized.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first off...
These are 2 great pieces...

The bangle looks rather large... for a bangle that is.
This makes me wonder if in fact it is a bangle.

Now... the ring.
This is a super nice piece.
Certain pieces of jade jewelry have sky rocketed in value.
This ring is a prime example of a "jade ring" ... the jade is perfect.

When it comes to jade its ALL in the stone.
This stone is a perfect example.

Now... with this said... this is all my opinion...
Jade comes in so many colors... and hues of those colors...
Yours...
Is A+. IMO

Well done.

Save that ring and savor it for a bit... could be a good investment piece.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add...
A similar ring... 10k etc... would sell for about OR less than 100...
$80 bucks would be the average.

Oh and back to the bangle...
It prolly isa bangle...

Just a larger version for a larger lady :P
OR...
You have a small hand :P P

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be 10 K gold over a sterling base

Ahh yes...
The word "spring" might actually be "sterling"...

IF this is the case...
Then the value is about what you paid.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to buy and sell ivory. Yes it looks real.. It is elephant ivory. It is relatively modern, cut with a dremel like tool. The old ones were hand carved and are tarnished/stained looking. Check Ebay rules carefully. This is a modern piece that they most likely will remove if you post it. This is what they are trying to stop. Newer ivory pieces coming on the market. when I say newer I mean in the last 100 years. It is really cool. I would have bought it too, but they are really hard to sell. When was the last time you saw a women wearing ivory of any kind? Hope this helps.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ivory piece is "worthless" because you can't legally sell it. And you shouldn't. The craftsman ship on the ring has me suspect. Seems less refined than I would expect on a high end piece. Still great finds.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it says 10K and the stamp just added a little tail to make it look like a J. Can you research the other markings on it? You may find more info from those markings than trying to look for "j0k". Or post a clear pic of the other markings and maybe we could try to search as well.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, Ivory is a very tough sell now - Modern - pre-ban - antique - elephant - walrus, they all have specific rules in many diverse areas.

I, like Master Jedi, bought and sold Ivory - Just girl stuff - Not anymore. Depending on your state, you may be able to sell locally, perhaps CL. E bay is a No go, even verified pre-ban, such as Roberts or Ming's of Hawaii pieces. Master carvers of pre-ban ivory in HI - soon to be no personal or commercial sales or such of their pieces in their home state.

MJ nailed your id on age - basic tourist piece -

Did you know It's easy to dye ivory? Those bangles look great in crimson red.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! The bangle was only 2 dollars so im good on that. And yea it is very big for a woman. As for the ring i had it tested by a jewelr who tested it and its defintely not a sterling base. 10k for sure

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to buy and sell ivory. Yes it looks real.. It is elephant ivory. It is relatively modern, cut with a dremel like tool. The old ones were hand carved and are tarnished/stained looking. Check Ebay rules carefully. This is a modern piece that they most likely will remove if you post it. This is what they are trying to stop. Newer ivory pieces coming on the market. when I say newer I mean in the last 100 years. It is really cool. I would have bought it too, but they are really hard to sell. When was the last time you saw a women wearing ivory of any kind? Hope this helps.

I would if I could find any!

OP, what a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! The bangle was only 2 dollars so im good on that. And yea it is very big for a woman. As for the ring i had it tested by a jewelr who tested it and its defintely not a sterling base. 10k for sure

I have a similar one and wondered why it was huge. It is not for a big woman....haha. It's an upper-arm bangle. I believe most are Thai.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread