A little help from you watch guys.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a nice pocket watch today at a former shop that's being sold out. It's a Waltham and in pretty good shape. It doesn't seem to run but that could mean anything from a good cleaning to a repair. But I can't seem to get it open without ripping the hell out of it. It doesn't seem to have any hinges and I don't want to damage it. I'm pretty sure it's gold filled but I want to check the marks to be sure. I only paid $10 for it. I have a small collection of older sterling ones but they are easy to open. I figured I can't go wrong with a $10 investment. Any opinions or thoughts from you watch guys would be greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475891445.139955.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475891456.113174.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475891467.786746.jpg

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back unscrews, does wind up and want to run with a gentle twist , if not roller jewell may be broke, balance staff broken, or main spring broke, ?

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back unscrews, does wind up and want to run with a gentle twist , if not roller jewell may be broke, balance staff broken, or main spring broke, ?

Tried unscrewing the back and it won't budge. It does wind up but doesn't run. It's a really nice looking watch. Hopefully I didn't buy a pig in a poke!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a watch/clock repair shop it may cost coin but they should be able get it running if need be , and open it for you at no cost

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a twist off back. Do you have one of those rubber CanOpener's. that would work really well or any sticky piece of rubber. Chances are if it's not running it's going to cost more to fix than it's worth. It's really a labor of love.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a twist off back. Do you have one of those rubber CanOpener's. that would work really well or any sticky piece of rubber. Chances are if it's not running it's going to cost more to fix than it's worth. It's really a labor of love.

I finally got the back off with one of those grip thingys. I'll do a bit of research later to determine the date.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475923395.539259.jpg

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go...

Grade: No. 210
Manufacturer: Waltham
Manufacturer Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Movement Serial Number: 15471953
Grade: No. 210
Model: 1894
Estimated Production Year: 1906
Run Quantity: 7,000
Total Production: 1,449,299
Size: 12s
Jewels: 7j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Finish: Nickel
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: 3/4 Plate
Hairspring: Breguet
Adjusted: No
Railroad Grade: No
Quality Rating:

It looks to be one of these 2 things... balance staff broken, or main spring broke.

Good luck...

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info masterjedi. I saw the same yesterday morning as well. It doesn't seem to be a super fine timepiece. I probably won't have it repaired and just try to flip it as is.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info masterjedi. I saw the same yesterday morning as well. It doesn't seem to be a super fine timepiece. I probably won't have it repaired and just try to flip it as is.

It's probably a great project watch for someone who can repair it them self. One of these days I'm going to have to do this myself so I can start repairing my own watches. $250 is the going rate around here.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably a great project watch for someone who can repair it them self. One of these days I'm going to have to do this myself so I can start repairing my own watches. $250 is the going rate around here.

Wow! Learn how to do your own repairs and that's money in your own pocket! I've got enough projects myself so I don't think I'll pick up watch repair anytime soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread