200 year old tools!!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Sunday I went to a local field auction. It's one of those that whatever you don't want from your lot, you just leave it and someone will take it for free. I've found lots of cool stuff for absolutely nothing!! Sometimes you can buy something from somebody that they may have in their lot and this purchase was the case. A lot with various parts to two early spinning wheels plus a bunch of other stuff was on my watch list. But they were doing two auctions at the same and I missed this lot by about two minutes. I approached the gentleman that bought the lot along with a bunch of other stuff and asked if he was interested in this box full stuff. He said no, $2.00 and it's yours! I couldn't pull my money out fast enough!! Along with a good portion of two 18th-early 19th century spinning wheels (except for the wheels), were several early wood workers/turners tools. These things a every bit of 200+ years old with hand turned handles and hand forged cutting tips wrapped it copper, brass and tin. Also an early T square with hand stamped ruler.

The best find was a small printers woodblock stamp of the "unite or die" snake motif that was used in 1774. There's a whole story with that but won't go into detail. A great box lot for $2.00!!!

Also bought an early William Curtis print from 1796 for $5.00. I bought that from someone else that didn't want it. I knew it was an early print and we had it verified by Skinner just a couple of days ago with a value of $100-$150. And they said it was a period piece from 1796.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476066992.767216.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067004.268629.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067014.644211.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067028.680542.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067037.951454.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067055.830442.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067063.517513.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067072.555769.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067080.873869.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476067090.063626.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476068182.621832.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476068194.778478.jpg

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude i am buying you the beer tonight

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're looking for a quick sale, you're probably going to be disappointed...I'm guessing. However, if you hold out and target antique tool collectors, I think you'll do exceptionally well with them! :occasion14:

What would be cool would be to take them (plus a lot more old tools) to a swap meet and have a man-powered lathe there on-site, and using some of the tools. That way, people who don't normally collect such tools could see their value (and use) firsthand. I've always wanted to build one of those lathes - like I used to see used on Woodwright's Shop many years ago. The website for this show is:
Home | The Woodwright's Shop with Roy Underhill | PBS

Can't believe he's 89 now!! Gee, I suddenly feel my bones creaking and moaning!!

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're looking for a quick sale, you're probably going to be disappointed...I'm guessing. However, if you hold out and target antique tool collectors, I think you'll do exceptionally well with them! :occasion14:

What would be cool would be to take them (plus a lot more old tools) to a swap meet and have a man-powered lathe there on-site, and using some of the tools. That way, people who don't normally collect such tools could see their value (and use) firsthand. I've always wanted to build one of those lathes - like I used to see used on Woodwright's Shop many years ago. The website for this show is:
Home | The Woodwright's Shop with Roy Underhill | PBS

Can't believe he's 89 now!! Gee, I suddenly feel my bones creaking and moaning!!

That's a great idea but I'm not sure I would go to that length for these. I don't usually deal much with tools except for an occasional piece here and there. I will try to target the antique tool collectors though.

I'm still not sure what I'll do with the tools. The print and the printers woodblock are keepers for my collection as that is the time period that I'm most interested in. Being a former woodworker in my younger high school days, I have an appreciation and interest in the tool as well. They are from the same time period so they may find a way into my collection. They are just so freakin cool. The grunge on the handles and the special marks that someone carved are 200 + years of stories. I do want to research their value so if you have any idea I would love to hear your thoughts.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Sunday I went to a local field auction. It's one of those that whatever you don't want from your lot, you just leave it and someone will take it for free. I've found lots of cool stuff for absolutely nothing!! Sometimes you can buy something from somebody that they may have in their lot and this purchase was the case. A lot with various parts to two early spinning wheels plus a bunch of other stuff was on my watch list. But they were doing two auctions at the same and I missed this lot by about two minutes. I approached the gentleman that bought the lot along with a bunch of other stuff and asked if he was interested in this box full stuff. He said no, $2.00 and it's yours! I couldn't pull my money out fast enough!! Along with a good portion of two 18th-early 19th century spinning wheels (except for the wheels), were several early wood workers/turners tools. These things a every bit of 200+ years old with hand turned handles and hand forged cutting tips wrapped it copper, brass and tin. Also an early T square with hand stamped ruler.

The best find was a small printers woodblock stamp of the "unite or die" snake motif that was used in 1774. There's a whole story with that but won't go into detail. A great box lot for $2.00!!!

Also bought an early William Curtis print from 1796 for $5.00. I bought that from someone else that didn't want it. I knew it was an early print and we had it verified by Skinner just a couple of days ago with a value of $100-$150. And they said it was a period piece from 1796.

View attachment 1368344 View attachment 1368345 View attachment 1368346 View attachment 1368347 View attachment 1368348 View attachment 1368349 View attachment 1368350 View attachment 1368351 View attachment 1368352 View attachment 1368353 View attachment 1368356 View attachment 1368357

Lets hear more about the print block! That would be a no-sell item if i ever found one!!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best find was a small printers woodblock stamp of the "unite or die" snake motif that was used in 1774. There's a whole story with that but won't go into detail.

I think that is a zinc faced printers block probably around 1940s. The zinc is acid etched and mounted to hardwood. It was probably used in a brochure printing or a club newsletter.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is a zinc faced printers block probably around 1940s. The zinc is acid etched and mounted to hardwood. It was probably used in a brochure printing or a club newsletter.

That's a possibility. But the zinc portion is definitely carved out. It has a bit of damage and scratched areas on the zinc part as it was just loose in the box and bumped around pretty good. The pics don't really do it justice. Also the fact that it was in a box chock full of early items with nothing modern could be a slight clue to age. Not definitely but maybe. I'll do some more research on those from the 40's era. A lot of printers in most states used them back in the 1774 period so it may be a leftover. The one corner was trimmed down with a straight bladed hack saw of some sorts. I would think that a modern piece would have been sanded a bit after the cut was made. This one you can clearly see the saw marks and the marks in the metal line up exactly as well so it was all cut at the same time. Still a really cool piece.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the fact that it was in a box chock full of early items with nothing modern could be a slight clue to age. Not definitely but maybe. I'll do some more research on those from the 40's era. A lot of printers in most states used them back in the 1774 period so it may be a leftover. The one corner was trimmed down with a straight bladed hack saw of some sorts. I would think that a modern piece would have been sanded a bit after the cut was made. This one you can clearly see the saw marks and the marks in the metal line up exactly as well so it was all cut at the same time.

In the 1700's blocks were hand carved directly into hardwood. In the 1940's the image was acid etched into zinc using a negative the same way B&W photographs were made. (negative placed on light sensitive zinc, exposed to light and then put in an acid bath) None of those existed in the 1700's.

The corner cut was made to show the typesetter the correct position for the block. They would not want to print the image upside down.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make sense!! Thanks for the info and explanation. It's true that you learn something new everyday. I know a pretty good amount on old furniture, pewter and coin silver, but the printing thing I know very little. That's one of the reasons why I like this forum so much. There's someone out there that knows something about a particular area. Thanks for your help on this cyberdan!!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make sense!! Thanks for the info and explanation. It's true that you learn something new everyday. I know a pretty good amount on old furniture, pewter and coin silver, but the printing thing I know very little. That's one of the reasons why I like this forum so much. There's someone out there that knows something about a particular area. Thanks for your help on this cyberdan!!
I hate to admit it but I just retired from the printing business. (more than 30 years)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread