New Topic... KILLERS! Best Buys!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
So, off of the topic of the $1 buys, What are your best buys ever... I mean EVER. $2 buys? $20? Here's my story for today

Last week, I went to Burbank to run with my pals. I like Burbank because there are a lot of studios out there, and you can find some pretty funky Show Biz stuff. We were at this one sale, and this guy was an Animator for Disney. Had a lot of really cool mugs for movies under early titles. "The Legend of Mulan" and so on. Anyhow, I'm digging around and he pulls out this leather notebook. It was a cast and crew gift for Atlantis. Very nice leather. Very nice item. I pick it up for $2. Sold it for $50. 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg

The next thing I pull is an Imagineers Ride Prospectus for a Ride they are proposing at Walt Disney World to go along with Atlantis. This thing is AWESOME. It has Blue prints, It has Vertical and Front side views, It has Ride Tracks (to show how the ride will go), it has land plans, it has something like 120 questions and answers raised in a brain storming session. It is full of art, full of stuff. It is about 35 pages of awesome that will never be. They ride was canceled, and the plans fell apart. I paid another $2, for it. Not a bad sale. I listed it at $99.99, and it got 2 bids. Final sales price, $331.69!
11.jpg 10.jpg 9.jpg 8.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

That made my month.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a great one from late September this year. I'm pretty knowledgeable about tools but there is always something to learn and it's part of the fun of doing this.

I was at a garage sale, after a no-show by the people having the sale 2 weeks prior, and they finally opened the door. I felt like a sucker at first for waiting but then realized that all the locals were not there due to the no show from the previous week. I got to shop alone!!!

The guy had decent stuff but his prices were somewhat high. I made an initial pile and decided to go for a second sweep. Under his workbench/desk, I was able to move some junk and open a locker door only to find it full of punch press dies. In the back was a odd looking hunk of steel which appeared to be something for a lathe.

I took it with me and got my price. 300.00 for all which broken down made that item 5.00

After a bit of reasearch at home, I was able to correctly identify what it was. All it had for markings was a single name and nothing else. Scanned tool catalogs are very helpful if you have access to them and they made the search much easier.

Turns out it was a Schaublin 102 Humpback grinding attachment with index ratchet splitter and collet holder.

It sold on a buy it now for 1800.00

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 123

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478528638.988587.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478528680.688509.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478528704.736496.jpg

My biggest and best score was a coin collection about a year and a half to two years ago. Paid $4000 for it. Sold off all of the silver except for 2 silver coins and got to keep 9 pre-33 gold coins. Had about a profit of $500 after selling off all the silver but I'm happy with what I got left over! I don't know if I will ever put them up for sale.

My other best one was I paid $600 for six watches sold five of them got to keep one.

14 K diamond longines mystery dial. W/ the orig box. I think I've worn it probably three times since I've had it but it's pretty to look at!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478529016.076228.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I mean great buys, not matter what you paid. If you paid $10,000 and sold it for $1.5m, I've great for that.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I like these threads but don't like to post too many details on my best finds. I've got plenty of examples that come to mind where I paid less than $5 & sold for $250 or more. Most of those were jewelry buys. One of my top 5 purchases was a 2 cent piece that the seller & I thought was a proof coin. It was part of a very large collection that had a lot of nice coins. I offered to send it off to get it graded so we knew exactly what we were looking at. The seller declined & I ended up buying for $150. Turned out it was a business strike coin in mint state that was rarer than a proof for that year. Sold it for $3500.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does free count if so sold for 1175
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478569073.392628.jpg

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a lot of success with watches. Usually I buy them for a dollar or two, and sell them for much more. Once, I found a Citizen Eco-Drive. A didn't know what it was but it was heavy and looked well made. I asked the lady about it. She said it was her ex-husbands and she did not want it. She said it needed a new battery. After buying it for $3 I took it home and after some research, realized it did not need a battery. I put it in the sun for a few minutes and it started working. I sold it for more than $300 but less than $400, I don't remember the exact price. I liked that watch though, and wish I hadn't sold it. I should have kept it. Also, one time I paid $40 for a white gold and diamond vintage watch from Boliva. I was going to sell it, the market at that time was around $400, but my wife wanted it so I saved it and gave it to her for Christmas.:icon_king:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread