Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tis funny...

I always shop sales with my girl...

Here is a scenario....
Sale #1... Womans stuff... = I am daydreaming in the clouds.

Sale #2... Man stuff ... Tools and wires... Old boxes that look about to fall apart from age crammed with oddities...

= I want to go get my dive gear to go swim in it.

=== she is yawning.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry this is not a garage sale find, but rather what if find annoying at yard sales. Generally I love yard sales and the people are usually terrific, but I have to vent two huge pet peeves!

1. When I ask if they have a particular item, and they respond, "we had so many but just sold them all." Thanks for telling me I missed out completely :(. I know they are not trying to be snarky, but I still find it annoying.

2. When I follow yard sales signs only to end up nowhere. Remove your signs if your sale is not currently happening. It wastes my gas!!!

Whew. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better. Hahaha

Add your vents too!

Yes...and may I also add, as someone already did, TINY signs. With no arrow.

And idiots who bring their huge, vicious dogs to my yard sale when there are cute little boys and girls (not even mine) wandering around. When I tried to get the idiot to leave, the dog almost attacked me. Imagine what it could have done to a child.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it when they set up a card table at the end of the driveway with an alarm clock on it - when the alarm goes off there is a stampede of running people .

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 most seen items at garage sales...

#1. Christmas items.
#2. Kids stuff.

and #3 womens used bras.
why in the world would a woman put her used undies out for sale?
& why in the world would someone else buy them?

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vases from teleflora....first generation iPhone accessories...Chinese junk jewelry lots all new...tube tv's...and kids selling lemonade etc..

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it when they set up a card table at the end of the driveway with an alarm clock on it - when the alarm goes off there is a stampede of running people .
I hope to never see this, if I do I will knock the table over and leave!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting Hit On
I am not trailer park trash that cruises garage sales, flea markets and second hand shop to be hit on or hear about how I look.

People Who Follow Me
They just stick around and have more questions than I ever would.

People Who Have An Opinion Towards Americans.
For some reason certain Europeans think that we want to hear their opinion about our nation, I mean seriously. I always turn it around on them and tell them I am from Texas. They of course try to argue and say that is part of the US and I say yeah sure, and the national Language of Luxembourg is French too right.

People who ask why I have a gun.
Because my job requires me to carry one you idiot. The ones who catch my accent right away that I am American ask directly, what do you do for a living. Really dumb question, the only people who can open carry pistols are cops, so I screw with them and tell them I am a private broker selling information to Mexican based Cartels on key areas for their distribution overseas. Actually had one go straight to his cell phone and pick it up, I could nolt help but walk up behind him and ask him who he is calling.

Then those people who want to know the most rude thing you can ask.

How Big Are You.

Kids I can understand, I get it I look a little out of place, but 36 years of lifting will do that, especially when it goes hand in hand with your job. But adults, I always look right down at my crotch and say I really could not tell you, never had the desire to measure it but there is enough there to turn some heads at the beach or pool.

I miss the US, it is a whole other rude in the US, a rude that I am used to. Been here for a while and still will not get used to the weirdos.
ROFLMAO!!!!! And they say Americans are rude?? Well, ok, some of us are...:laughing9:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. The Sellers who don't acknowledge your presence.
2. The Buyers who don't acknowledge your presence.

Come on! If I'm standing right in front of an object, or worse, looking through a box
of books, etc., and another buyer "invades" my space, putting their hands in the box, or on the object I'm
inspecting....Grrrrrr!! Makes me want to turn into "The Hulk"!!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vases from teleflora....first generation iPhone accessories...Chinese junk jewelry lots all new...tube tv's...and kids selling lemonade etc..

The medium size city will not pick up old Tube television sets. They say they have "toxic metals and chemicals" in them.

Went to a garage sale in a rather up-scale neighborhood where there was a 32" tube TV, and right next to it, a rather new but greasy grease gun. When the owner lady saw me looking at the grease gun, I asked if she would take $5 for it.

She said, "I'll tell you what I'll do.... You can have the grease gun for $5 IF you'll take the TV with it."

I smiled and thanked her....and left both at the sale....:tongue3:

Bill

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
1. The Sellers who don't acknowledge your presence.
2. The Buyers who don't acknowledge your presence.

Come on! If I'm standing right in front of an object, or worse, looking through a box
of books, etc., and another buyer "invades" my space, putting their hands in the box, or on the object I'm
inspecting....Grrrrrr!! Makes me want to turn into "The Hulk"!!

Let us know - we'll pop up some popcorn and watch the festivities! :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pulling up to a perpetual yard sale only to realize you have been to it TWICE before... the second time making a mental note to avoid it again.

I think the people at the sale can hear me driving by cussing. ":P

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or when you walk up to a sale and you can clearly see it is junk, and the husband says a thousand dollars takes it all, I then look at him and say, what, you'll pay me a thousand to haul all this to the dump!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or when you pick up an item in the box... you open to see its the item they replaced with the new.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
My pet peeves:
1. Signs that are way too small and difficult to read. How the frick can I read a 6" sign at 30 mph. (went to one sale, They had a post it note for a sign. I talked to them about that, The next week, their sign was 6'x 4' Biggest sign I've ever seen!)
2. People who ask, "are you going to re-sell this?" It's NOYDB. (I usually say, "Why, do you want to buy it?")
3. People who think that crap they bought from the home shopping network is highly collectable. ("anything made to be a collectible, isn't.)
4. People who try to charge according to what they saw on storage wars or American pickers. (If you want to be on TV, go for "America's Dumbest Homeowners.")
5. Dirty baby clothes thrown out on the driveway is not an estate sale. (To many people "estate sale," means "My stuff is too good for a garage sale... It rarely is.)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone who no matter how many times you ask cannot seem to give you a price.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone who no matter how many times you ask cannot seem to give you a price.

When that happens I tend to just offer $1 or something really low. When they get offended I then ask "so how much do you want for it then???" or something like that.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
On more than one occasion - Finding a desirable object and asking the seller how much? "Let me look that up on ebay!" (phone comes out and I walk away)

Bankrupt antique shop moves to the house, garage sale held, same prices as in the antique shop.

Sales that start at 6, 7 or 8 am and stating no early birds, and at 6, 7, or 8, they come out with their coffee cup in one hand, and a box in the other, and take their time setting up.

Yuppies that believe their used stuff is valuable because they overpaid retail for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread