Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: Venting garage sale pet peeves :0

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4432 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
    1. The Sellers who don't acknowledge your presence.
    2. The Buyers who don't acknowledge your presence.

Come on! If I'm standing right in front of an object, or worse, looking through a box
    of books, etc., and another buyer "invades" my space, putting their hands in the box, or on the object I'm
    inspecting....Grrrrrr!! Makes me want to turn into "The Hulk"!!
    Let us know - we'll pop up some popcorn and watch the festivities!
    BagLady likes this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    18117 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    pulling up to a perpetual yard sale only to realize you have been to it TWICE before... the second time making a mental note to avoid it again.

I think the people at the sale can hear me driving by cussing. ":P
    BagLady, NWpickin and Marley230 like this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2010
    Northern California
    MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
    382 times
    Or when you walk up to a sale and you can clearly see it is junk, and the husband says a thousand dollars takes it all, I then look at him and say, what, you'll pay me a thousand to haul all this to the dump!
    BagLady, AARC, T.C. and 1 others like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    JW 8X - ML X2
    18117 times
    Or when you pick up an item in the box... you open to see its the item they replaced with the new.

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    2118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore View Post
    ...these are issues you have at yard sales?
    I was thinking the same thing... These seem like some pretty specific and unusual problems to have.
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    2118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mojjax View Post
    I hate it when they set up a card table at the end of the driveway with an alarm clock on it - when the alarm goes off there is a stampede of running people .
    Huh?
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

us
    Voice of Reason?

Nov 2012
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    752 times
    Guns kill people, and people kill people. We can only hope to control both.
    My pet peeves:
    1. Signs that are way too small and difficult to read. How the frick can I read a 6" sign at 30 mph. (went to one sale, They had a post it note for a sign. I talked to them about that, The next week, their sign was 6'x 4' Biggest sign I've ever seen!)
    2. People who ask, "are you going to re-sell this?" It's NOYDB. (I usually say, "Why, do you want to buy it?")
    3. People who think that crap they bought from the home shopping network is highly collectable. ("anything made to be a collectible, isn't.)
    4. People who try to charge according to what they saw on storage wars or American pickers. (If you want to be on TV, go for "America's Dumbest Homeowners.")
    5. Dirty baby clothes thrown out on the driveway is not an estate sale. (To many people "estate sale," means "My stuff is too good for a garage sale... It rarely is.)
    AARC likes this.
    Big Business is the Biggest special interest.

Give me liberty or give me death. Just make sure I am not killed by a Terrorist.
    Read my mail, See who I call, See what I read at the Library, inject, inspect, detect, infect, Neglect and select me... Just don't let them there terrorists get me.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    JW 8X - ML X2
    18117 times
    Someone who no matter how many times you ask cannot seem to give you a price.
    Marley230 likes this.

us
    Baron

Jun 2013
    Colorado
    298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Someone who no matter how many times you ask cannot seem to give you a price.
    When that happens I tend to just offer $1 or something really low. When they get offended I then ask "so how much do you want for it then" or something like that.
    AARC, kcm and Marley230 like this.

us
    Mar 2009
    331 times
    On more than one occasion - Finding a desirable object and asking the seller how much? "Let me look that up on ebay!" (phone comes out and I walk away)

Bankrupt antique shop moves to the house, garage sale held, same prices as in the antique shop.

Sales that start at 6, 7 or 8 am and stating no early birds, and at 6, 7, or 8, they come out with their coffee cup in one hand, and a box in the other, and take their time setting up.

Yuppies that believe their used stuff is valuable because they overpaid retail for it.
    kcm, AARC and Marley230 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dejapooh View Post
    1. Signs that are way too small and difficult to read.

3. People who think that crap they bought from the home shopping network is highly collectable

5. Dirty baby clothes thrown out on the driveway is not an estate sale.

To many people "estate sale," means "My stuff is too good for a garage sale
    let me elaberate on your list.

#1 this too is my biggest pet peeve. corrugated box parts and the writing instrument? pencil OR they let the 10 year old girl make the signs with 5 colors and glitter.

#3 I spent almost $200 on coins and currency bought on one of those coin shopping channels. But the neat part, the son in law, just wanted to get rid of it. He offered me everything at FACE VALUE. If a framed item had 5 indian heads and 2 buffalos I paid .15 ect, ect It filled the back of my car. Sold or traded 99% of it.

#5 piles and piles of clothes don't bother me. The pile is already being picked over by non-residents and their anchor babies. Its when I walk up and a seller tries to get me to buy used clothes. My common answer is "I don't do clothes"

ESTATE SALE means grandma died and we are selling her bedpan and walker.
    AARC likes this.
    at yard sales I am dollardan

Charter Member

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    3600 times
    The never ending garage sale- The guy who has the same junk every single week. And he has different signs. so I won't go every time but sometimes it catches me offguard until I pull up in front of the house.

Creepy yard sale listings. I'll just add a photo!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479346715.117064.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	603.7 KB 
ID:	1382020

The cash for gold guy- (I would sometimes fall under this category) however last house I was at this another guy stopped by, took one of the ladies cards who is a realtor. As I was looking at her gold necklace and rings, he stood over my shoulder. She asked him to leave, and then he called her cell phone 24 times after that.
    (Not very professional)

Last one is community yard sales with no sense of direction. Some of them are very organized, it will be one way around the neighborhood or only park on one side. Or they will have somebody directing traffic. Or there's the other case scenario, when you get people parking across from each other and then someone parking in the middle of the road. making it stop traffic for 20 minutes or half hour because everybody's an idiot. I've actually started carrying a bicycle and backpack in my van.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachkid23 View Post
    The never ending garage sale- The guy who has the same junk every single week. And he has different signs. so I won't go every time but sometimes it catches me offguard until I pull up in front of the house.
    Time to pull down some signs.
    Marley230 likes this.
    at yard sales I am dollardan

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52. Keene A52P Bazooka mini. Prospectors choice clean up sluice. Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    8576 times
    [QUOTE=Beachkid23;5188467]The never ending garage sale- The guy who has the same junk every single week. And he has different signs. so I won't go every time but sometimes it catches me offguard until I pull up in front of the house.

We have a couple that hit all the garage sales then bring the stuff home to their...... never ending sale. (double the price)
    This is a small town so we caught on quick!
    Oddjob and Marley230 like this.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

Charter Member
    us
    Mr.

Apr 2015
    AZ
    Old Compass, I have 3 of them!!
    892 times
    ok ok I'll have to add to this..............I used to hit the yard sales.

Driving down the main road & I see a 4 foot square raw wood panel, spray painted "YARD SALE" with an arrow.
    So I follow the signs like a street maze......finally arrive & there's a table with a person behind it on the driveway,
    Clothes strowed all over the ground with a bunch of kids jumping on the clothes.......ooooh baby what a waste of time!!!!

I see that so much here I stopped going.

Shouldn't it be called a rummage sale?
    Last edited by Carrol; Nov 16, 2016 at 09:26 PM.
    Marley230 likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links