cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Signs that are way too small and difficult to read.

3. People who think that crap they bought from the home shopping network is highly collectable

5. Dirty baby clothes thrown out on the driveway is not an estate sale.

To many people "estate sale," means "My stuff is too good for a garage sale

let me elaberate on your list.

#1 this too is my biggest pet peeve. corrugated box parts and the writing instrument? pencil OR they let the 10 year old girl make the signs with 5 colors and glitter.

#3 I spent almost $200 on coins and currency bought on one of those coin shopping channels. But the neat part, the son in law, just wanted to get rid of it. He offered me everything at FACE VALUE. If a framed item had 5 indian heads and 2 buffalos I paid .15¢ ect, ect It filled the back of my car. Sold or traded 99% of it.

#5 piles and piles of clothes don't bother me. The pile is already being picked over by non-residents and their anchor babies. Its when I walk up and a seller tries to get me to buy used clothes. My common answer is "I don't do clothes"

ESTATE SALE means grandma died and we are selling her bedpan and walker.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The never ending garage sale- The guy who has the same junk every single week. And he has different signs. so I won't go every time but sometimes it catches me offguard until I pull up in front of the house.

Creepy yard sale listings. I'll just add a photo!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479346715.117064.jpg

The cash for gold guy- (I would sometimes fall under this category) however last house I was at this another guy stopped by, took one of the ladies cards who is a realtor. As I was looking at her gold necklace and rings, he stood over my shoulder. She asked him to leave, and then he called her cell phone 24 times after that.
(Not very professional)

Last one is community yard sales with no sense of direction. Some of them are very organized, it will be one way around the neighborhood or only park on one side. Or they will have somebody directing traffic. Or there's the other case scenario, when you get people parking across from each other and then someone parking in the middle of the road. making it stop traffic for 20 minutes or half hour because everybody's an idiot. I've actually started carrying a bicycle and backpack in my van.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The never ending garage sale- The guy who has the same junk every single week. And he has different signs. so I won't go every time but sometimes it catches me offguard until I pull up in front of the house.

Time to pull down some signs. ;)

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We have a couple that hit all the garage sales then bring the stuff home to their...... never ending sale. (double the price)
This is a small town so we caught on quick!

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok ok I'll have to add to this..............I used to hit the yard sales.

Driving down the main road & I see a 4 foot square raw wood panel, spray painted "YARD SALE" with an arrow.
So I follow the signs like a street maze......finally arrive & there's a table with a person behind it on the driveway,
Clothes strowed all over the ground with a bunch of kids jumping on the clothes.......ooooh baby what a waste of time!!!!

I see that so much here I stopped going.

Shouldn't it be called a rummage sale?

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Something like that should be called a drive by. You see it, and just drive by.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
There was one guy sort or near me who seemed to run his sale a few times each summer. He had newly added stuff each time so I don't know where he got it from. The items ran the gamut from old decks of playing cards to brand new Anchor Hocking glassware, (which I bought), to old radio stuff and race car parts.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We knew a couple just outside of Brainerd who had a garage sale sign out most days. They were an older couple, but would get great deals at auctions and then leisurely sale them from their home....which just happened to be next to a major roadway. Great folks, too!!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We knew a couple just outside of Brainerd who had a garage sale sign out most days. They were an older couple, but would get great deals at auctions and then leisurely sale them from their home....which just happened to be next to a major roadway. Great folks, too!!

Brainerd, MN? Off of Hwy 210 onto 25? I see the signs all spring, summer & fall but haven't went to the sale because I assumed it was "one of those" sales.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smelly places and things I do not like. The garage that smells so bad if cat pee, other shopper with very bad BO. Last week we went in a TS and I kid you not there was a woman that stunk so bad I had to keep going to different parts of the store to stay far enough away. I feel sorry for her but I can't handle it.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smelly places and things I do not like. The garage that smells so bad if cat pee, other shopper with very bad BO. Last week we went in a TS and I kid you not there was a woman that stunk so bad I had to keep going to different parts of the store to stay far enough away. I feel sorry for her but I can't handle it.

Cat pee! Rofl!! [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13] those may be the worst houses! "We have furniture inside". Barf! I think I woke up my kids laughing so hard!!

This lady called me and wanted me to do in an estate sale for her. Her husband smokes cigars in the house and she smokes cigarettes. Her son smoke pot. I tried to reject them and said I was not able to help them. Burn holes in everything, stains, wood furniture, the paintings were yellow. It was bad. She got very upset with me I told her she probably be better off to have a bonfire and have the neighbors bring beer. What more can I do?

Cat pee!!! Lol. Gross!!

The other one is when you walk up to the house and start to look at stuff that looks interesting, and notice cockroach poop or FLIES around the clothing! RUN! RUN FAST!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Brainerd, MN? Off of Hwy 210 onto 25? I see the signs all spring, summer & fall but haven't went to the sale because I assumed it was "one of those" sales.

Been a few years now - can't remember my roads very well. Remember, I was transplanted here from Texas!! :tongue3:

Looked on a map and I see 25 on the east side. We'd come in on the west side, coming through Baxter. Don't know if it ever had an official "name", but the wife always called it "Earl & Cathy's".

silverdust79

Greenie
Nov 13, 2016
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 - Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I tinker with something off the dollar table that's full of broken stuff. Get it working & they want to jack the price up.....just happened about a month ago.

They could always pay me 20bucks for the repair if they want jack up the price to a $50 price tag "they saw on ebay"....lol

also- 1. cat pee estate sales suck & are terrible but i'll rough it since others are running out the back door.
2. old garage sale signs that lead to nowhere drive me nuts as well

~I like this thread :D

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know if this counts as a "pet peeve" or not, but....:

About a year ago, we went driving around a small town in Arkansas, as they were having a garage sale that spans many miles. There were only a couple of sales that had anything we were even slightly interested in. Of course, those items weren't even used, but new items. The VAST MAJORITY of everything we saw was, for us, stuff that belonged in a dumpster!! And yet traffic was bumper to bumper and people were buying like there was no tomorrow!!

...Makes me wonder what would happen if we took our 48' semi trailer of "stuff" down there?? We've collected from auctions and garage sales for the past 16 years or more, but have gotten rid of very little. Just no people up here for having a garage sale.

BFR

Oct 7, 2014
Lower thumb knuckle Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7th, 10th, or 20th annual subdivision sale. Your selling the same garbage that you did not sell the last 19 years. Donate it to charity already.

I have had a few sales over the years and when they were done, what did not sell went to the salvation army.

Clothing and Christmas items should be donated before the garage sale.

BFR

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
I've gotten used to urine, animal feces, and smoke over the years. It still grosses me out but I will still pick around. The worst was actually this situation...

Went to a holy grail garage sale that was packed full of silver and gold jewelry, antiques, etc. There was a light musty/chemical smell but it wasn't all that bad. I picked some jewelry and a Russian sterling plate but as I was walking out to my car I became sicker and sicker. I literally almost hurled by the time I sat in my car. It took a solid 5-10 of sitting there just to recover. I don't think I want to know what I breathed in.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it when they set up the night before and don't bother to PUT A BLUE TARP OVER IT . And a passing shower comes through the night .

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate it when they set up the night before and don't bother to PUT A BLUE TARP OVER IT . And a passing shower comes through the night .

Or when you see items in boxes with plastic windows that have condensation on the inside. Think Barbie doll type boxes. Yeah, that stuff's been well taken care of.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten used to urine, animal feces, and smoke over the years. It still grosses me out but I will still pick around. The worst was actually this situation...

Went to a holy grail garage sale that was packed full of silver and gold jewelry, antiques, etc. There was a light musty/chemical smell but it wasn't all that bad. I picked some jewelry and a Russian sterling plate but as I was walking out to my car I became sicker and sicker. I literally almost hurled by the time I sat in my car. It took a solid 5-10 of sitting there just to recover. I don't think I want to know what I breathed in.

Mold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread