Venting garage sale pet peeves :0

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry this is not a garage sale find, but rather what if find annoying at yard sales. Generally I love yard sales and the people are usually terrific, but I have to vent two huge pet peeves!

1. When I ask if they have a particular item, and they respond, "we had so many but just sold them all." Thanks for telling me I missed out completely :(. I know they are not trying to be snarky, but I still find it annoying.

2. When I follow yard sales signs only to end up nowhere. Remove your signs if your sale is not currently happening. It wastes my gas!!!

Whew. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better. Hahaha

Add your vents too!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my pet peeves are the infamous eBay print outs followed by a ridiculously stupid price. Another is when the sellers feel the need to tell you something about everything you pick. Everything!! So many I could list but I'll just start with those two!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
- Theft
- Despicably cheap customers
- Theft
- Body odor
- Theft
- eBay print outs, I agree
- Any mention of the word eBay at a yard sale. If it's 'worth that on ebay', then go sell it for that as I think to myself "you have no idea what you're talking about"
- Theft
- A single table set out with 2 Christmas wreaths, one iron, a box of hangers, and 3 jump ropes
- "Oh sorry, I don't have change for your 20, do you have anything smaller?" Um, you are hosting a yard sale. You go to the bank the day before, and GET CHANGE!
- "What are you going to do with it??" Sleep with it. None of your business. People are so curious sometimes. Too curious.
- theft
- People who yard sale just to socialize. Don't sit there and talk politics with the ONE person running the sale when I have three things in my hands that aren't even priced.
- Entire yard sales that are 'make an offer'. Nothing priced at all.
- People who sell items that they are obviously emotionally attached to
- Theft
- Family run estate sales where you're allowed to shop inside, but you never know if what you pick up is actually for sale or not. "Oh, sorry sir, we're not selling that"

Ok, I'll end it there.

Aside from all THAT, I love yard saling!! Haha

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its not part of the actual garage sale but mine is this, along with all of DFW_THer's list:

The people that are late to the sale and think, "wow, look, a parking spot right in front of the house. Its blocking the driveway but what a stroke of luck for us".

No, you inconsiderate idiot! You don't block driveways. Somebody might be coming or going from that location and i've seen it happen numerous times to know better. Some people never learn

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not one yard or garage is really for sale ................

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not one yard or garage is really for sale ................

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the ebay print outs bother me, but they also tell me to turn around and leave, so I guess they are a mixed blessing. One peeve I have is pets. When I go to a garage sale, I don't want your dog coming up to me, licking, and sniffing me. I like dogs as much as the next person, but keep your pets inside if you are having a sale.:icon_king:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law. He picks up stuff if he does not like it he will make rude comments about it or just drop it on the ground. Still trying to teach him manners just look, don't make comments about any items and lay it back down not drop.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother in law. He picks up stuff if he does not like it he will make rude comments about it or just drop it on the ground. Still trying to teach him manners just look, don't make comments about any items and lay it back down not drop.

Wow. He sounds like a real a$shat if I may be so blunt. I'd never hit the sales with a personality like that.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 issue with garage sales for me, and one reason I don't really bother anymore & focus instead on flea markets, estate sales & eBay for my buys: half of the frigging garage sale ads on CL are missing information vital to attending said sale. You really just need three pieces of information (address, dates j times) and everything else is window dressing, but people screw it up over and over and over. 45 pictures, three paragraphs describing the many items they have for sale, no address or sale dates. Some people...

Edit: unfortunately CL is the primary source for garage sale listings here.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting Hit On
I am not trailer park trash that cruises garage sales, flea markets and second hand shop to be hit on or hear about how I look.

People Who Follow Me
They just stick around and have more questions than I ever would.

People Who Have An Opinion Towards Americans.
For some reason certain Europeans think that we want to hear their opinion about our nation, I mean seriously. I always turn it around on them and tell them I am from Texas. They of course try to argue and say that is part of the US and I say yeah sure, and the national Language of Luxembourg is French too right.

People who ask why I have a gun.
Because my job requires me to carry one you idiot. The ones who catch my accent right away that I am American ask directly, what do you do for a living. Really dumb question, the only people who can open carry pistols are cops, so I screw with them and tell them I am a private broker selling information to Mexican based Cartels on key areas for their distribution overseas. Actually had one go straight to his cell phone and pick it up, I could nolt help but walk up behind him and ask him who he is calling.

Then those people who want to know the most rude thing you can ask.

How Big Are You.

Kids I can understand, I get it I look a little out of place, but 36 years of lifting will do that, especially when it goes hand in hand with your job. But adults, I always look right down at my crotch and say I really could not tell you, never had the desire to measure it but there is enough there to turn some heads at the beach or pool.

I miss the US, it is a whole other rude in the US, a rude that I am used to. Been here for a while and still will not get used to the weirdos.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the ebay print outs bother me, but they also tell me to turn around and leave, so I guess they are a mixed blessing. One peeve I have is pets. When I go to a garage sale, I don't want your dog coming up to me, licking, and sniffing me. I like dogs as much as the next person, but keep your pets inside if you are having a sale.:icon_king:

So you're saying your pet peeve really is a pet peeve?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting Hit On
I am not trailer park trash that cruises garage sales, flea markets and second hand shop to be hit on or hear about how I look.

People Who Follow Me
They just stick around and have more questions than I ever would.

People Who Have An Opinion Towards Americans.
For some reason certain Europeans think that we want to hear their opinion about our nation, I mean seriously. I always turn it around on them and tell them I am from Texas. They of course try to argue and say that is part of the US and I say yeah sure, and the national Language of Luxembourg is French too right.

People who ask why I have a gun.
Because my job requires me to carry one you idiot. The ones who catch my accent right away that I am American ask directly, what do you do for a living. Really dumb question, the only people who can open carry pistols are cops, so I screw with them and tell them I am a private broker selling information to Mexican based Cartels on key areas for their distribution overseas. Actually had one go straight to his cell phone and pick it up, I could nolt help but walk up behind him and ask him who he is calling.

Then those people who want to know the most rude thing you can ask.

How Big Are You.

Kids I can understand, I get it I look a little out of place, but 36 years of lifting will do that, especially when it goes hand in hand with your job. But adults, I always look right down at my crotch and say I really could not tell you, never had the desire to measure it but there is enough there to turn some heads at the beach or pool.

I miss the US, it is a whole other rude in the US, a rude that I am used to. Been here for a while and still will not get used to the weirdos.

...these are issues you have at yard sales?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peeves ?

Showing up at 7:50 to an 8 am sale and they say... "we are not open till 8".
Which is fine...
Except when they are just standing there amongst the stuff.

Also... Seeing a price like 18 dollars on a 20 dollar item that is used.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate, "What do you think it's worth?"
I hate "I got this from my aunt martha, I got that from Uncle Shmoe, I got that on sale at Barbie's...
I hate, "Do you need some empty band aid boxes, How about used underwear, how about some socks, size children's small, how about a parcheese set. Need some candles. (continue for EVERY FLIPPING ITEM at the sale).

OP
OP
T

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, these are all so TRUE!!

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pet peeves:
1. Signs that are way too small and difficult to read. How the frick can I read a 6" sign at 30 mph.
2. People who ask, "are you going to re-sell this?" It's NOYDB.
3. People who think that crap they bought from the home shopping network is highly collectable.
4. People who try to charge according to what they saw on storage wars or American pickers.
5. Dirty baby clothes thrown out on the driveway is not an estate sale.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
showing up to a sale that looks from a distance as the holy grail of sales...
Stuff for eons...
Everywhere...

And you literally TRY to find something worth a piss to buy... and cannot.

Such crap that if a free sign was on it... people would not even stop.
And
So bad the garbage truck would pass the pile if set out by the street.
And...
So bad garbage pickers use it for a restroom.

Heh :P

Some sales I walk through thinking "why the hell have you held on to any of this stuff... its worthless trash".

So bad that roaches avoid it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 most seen items at garage sales...

#1. Christmas items.
#2. Kids stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread