ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tis crazy... I researched your info which appears to be correct... sold listings back for awhile.

Stupid people and their money are soon parted. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's really crazy is... I gave away 2 black shopping bags full of Disney VHS away to other moms years and years ago.

And I know... for a fact... all those money titles were in those bags.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's really crazy is... I gave away 2 black shopping bags full of Disney VHS away to other moms years and years ago.

EDIT. - Errr heh... "other moms"... heh... like I was a mom. :P You know what I meant.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Please reread post number 4. You missed it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A scam ? ? ? Arrrggg now I remember why I don't buy or sell on ebay anymore.

Thanks for reminding me. :P

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, unfortunately most Disney VHS tapes just are not worth much. A few, such as out of print titles that you can't find on DVD, are worth some money, but most VHS tapes are not. Honestly, if Disney VHS tapes were worth money, I probably would not be on this site, because I would be busy spending all my cash. I literally see thousands of Disney VHS tapes being sold at Garage Sales every year, and I buy 0.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Not so much a scam...

Fake news or "clickbait" is a better description of this "story".

Dunno ... I think scam is a pretty good word for it. Let's say we have some crap that I want to sell that isn't worth anything ... and I work with you guys on this board to sell a few at $1,000 so they show in sold listings, however, we then cancel the order so no one actually loses any money or is charged any eBay fees. Next thing, people start seeing crazy prices thinking that's what they are worth. Now, my listing for $300 looks like a bargain ... I only need a few idiots to take the bait and over pay for something that isn't worth squat.

Scam.

Dang ... sounds like a pretty good idea, though. Anyone have some stuff they want to get rich from? :tongue3: (just kidding)

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you guys are saying I should cancel my 27K bid on the Beauty and the Beast VHS? Only 3 hours left and I am the highest bidder. Not really

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw a box of Disney vhs tapes on the dump ''free table'' today -I left them there .

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just saw a box of Disney vhs tapes on the dump ''free table'' today -I left them there .

Probably a wise move there.
final update:
The 4.99 Beauty and the Beast auction closed. NO bids :( Hopefully that puts this puppy to rest.

There are indeed a small handful of VHS tapes that are valuable. All OOP and / or cult classics. mostly odd ball stuff that never survived the jump to dvd (BTW the same thing applies to some dvds) The only Disney VHS tape that i know of that is worth more than thrift store prices is "song of the South" because Disney stopped producing that one in the late 70's early 80's because of it's blatantly racist content. You simply will have to research the topic as there are many other lessor known titles that will fetch up to 100's of dollars ;such as the BMX movie "RAD"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moron-selling-Beauty-and-the-Beast-Walt-Disney-Black-Diamond-VHS-NO-RESERVe-/291958952321?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one , one bidder , he bid 18 times against himself - LOL

eBay.com Item Bid History

that auction had a reserve. he kept bidding till he met that price. what an idiot, just an old tape.

seller has zero feedback and buyer has just over 100. I wonder how long they have known each other.
for 0 f/b the seller put out a decent (but short) auction. he/she has done ebay before.
there are also over a dozen of the same VHS open right now. why would a buyer drive up his own price when he could buy every single Gus tape at auction? something smells pretty funny and it is not the backside of GUS.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder about the overinflated prices, on basic junk, all the time. :icon_scratch:
I'm always figuring (if/when there ever is a sale), it's either a PT Barnum or Darwin awardee,
or someone has so much money, they just need to wash it (fees be damned). :dontknow:

I have tubs of old beanie babies from working in a collectibles store,
should maybe try to sell them bears and such for thousands...... :laughing7:
Like one poster said, "only need to sell one". :tongue3: :laughing7:

(I also thought of cutting them in half and mounting them as
"nursery game" mounts, LOL). The elephants, lions, deer, etc..... :laughing7:
Threw out so many vhs tapes, can't even fathom how many, atm....
(not going to bang my head about it, lol).

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Now that bidder is a hard-core Don Knotts fan! He (or she) must have really wanted to watch that movie!

But - why not just pay $7 for a copy of that tape?

There are books offered on Amazon for thousands of dollars. Why? I just don't get it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The Sold Auctions for these Disney Tapes are scams and possibly someone using another eBay member's account to do so. The ones that I could find that sold recently for $1,999.99 and $8,0000 shows that the Sellers have not had any Feedback in 3 months or more and have not received any Feedback as well and not for the transaction. Not sure about all of the others but I can't find any Feedback left or received. Someone should report this activity to eBay.

Frank

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The Sold Auctions for these Disney Tapes are scams and possibly someone using another eBay member's account to do so. The ones that I could find that sold recently for $1,999.99 and $8,0000 shows that the Sellers have not had any Feedback in 3 months or more and have not received any Feedback as well and not for the transaction. Not sure about all of the others but I can't find any Feedback left or received. Someone should report this activity to eBay.

Frank

Well yes...THIS WAS DEBUNKED IN POST #4.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions