Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver plate on copper or EPNS? Copper is ~$2 a pound.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrap yards pay $1.25/1.50lb for brass and $2+ a pound for copper usually....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrap yards pay $1.25/1.50lb for brass and $2+ a pound for copper usually..
That is what I was thinking, but a lot of trays have cast feet, handles and trim that is soldered to the piece. My old scrapyard will not accept anything with these attached. They call it lead but i think it is just a base metal. The feet and handles pop off if twisted in a vice. The trim that goes around the entire piece is a bear to get off. might come off with a torch. I save all that scrap too and sell it to them as a base metal.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get #1 copper prices on all my silver on copper, but I'm stashing all that stuff now as I'm playing with the process of un plating the ag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I was thinking, but a lot of trays have cast feet, handles and trim that is soldered to the piece. My old scrapyard will not accept anything with these attached. They call it lead but i think it is just a base metal. The feet and handles pop off if twisted in a vice. The trim that goes around the entire piece is a bear to get off. might come off with a torch. I save all that scrap too and sell it to them as a base metal.

The trim that goes around the entire piece is a bear to get off...

Dan, you're right about getting that trim off! What I've learned about removing it has made it easier. Get yourself a 1/2"-3/4" wide wood chisel that's sharpened with a long taper. The fine cutting edge gets under the trim's soft metal. But, work the chisel from the inside edge toward the outside edge. It seems that the silversmiths use less solder toward the inside edge so it won't squeeze out when heated and make a mess that's harder to buff away than the squeeze-out on the outside edge. Just remember to mount your platter down very solidly and always keep both hands behind the chisel's cutting edge.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread