Can a 10k test fail on an old item? Help!! OB. 10k Cameo

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first started using the acid test kits, I'd do a rubbing on the test stone and then put a drop on the rubbing. Failed every darned time. Then I went to Youtube and saw that you're supposed to draw a slight bit across the rubbing and not use a whole danged drop. I guess too much acid would dissolve the whole section of the rub covered immediately.

Am I right on this?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh and finally I get to post on acid testing "truths"... First... don't know if many here know this... BUT... did you know that a karat mark is RARELY what an item ACTUALLY is. ? ? ?... shall I continue ?

See my post #8 above

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any suggestions on what brand or model of electronic gold/diamond tester and where to purchase?

Rusty this is what I bought several years ago and it is still going strong.

Attachments

• ELECTRONIC%20GOLD%20TESTER%20GT3000%20BRAND%20NEW%20TRI%20ELECTRONIC-1500x1500.JPG
    ELECTRONIC%20GOLD%20TESTER%20GT3000%20BRAND%20NEW%20TRI%20ELECTRONIC-1500x1500.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 55

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CyberDan, I have been looking for an electronic gold tester but the one you picture has poor reviews on Amazon. Are people just not using it correctly? Any issues with yours? Tricks to make it work smoothly?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
CyberDan, I have been looking for an electronic gold tester but the one you picture has poor reviews on Amazon. Are people just not using it correctly? Any issues with yours? Tricks to make it work smoothly?

I've got the same tester and have been using it for the last few years. Works great for me.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You need to remember most people only complain when they are unhappy. I rarely give a good review when I am pleased with a company, only when I am not pleased with product or service. On YELP the only good review, that I can remember, was for Air China. They served roast duck for dinner and I was in economy. ;)

On the GT, I followed the directions but I have also tested thousands of pieces of jewelry. Now I do not follow directions exactly. (I do not use a full drop of gel for each test, I use maybe 1/3 to 1/2 drop. It is easy to do and saves money on gel tube replacement.) I also just went to Amazon and saw there were several Gt's listed but only one had more than one review. (most had none) Someone left a very bad review so I left a comment on his lack of skill in testing. It is a good machine.

You do have to buy testing gel cartridges for about $15.00 each and if you do not take care of them the gel goes bad. (put the testing wand in double zip lock baggies and keep in veg drawer of refer. they last longer that way. just take out a few hours before needing to test. When they go bad the gel turns to a liquid)

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You need to remember most people only complain when they are unhappy. I rarely give a good review when I am pleased with a company, only when I am not pleased with product or service. On YELP the only good review, that I can remember, was for Air China. They served roast duck for dinner and I was in economy. ;)

On the GT, I followed the directions but I have also tested thousands of pieces of jewelry. Now I do not follow directions exactly. (I do not use a full drop of gel for each test, I use maybe 1/3 to 1/2 drop. It is easy to do and saves money on gel tube replacement.) I also just went to Amazon and saw there were several Gt's listed but only one had more than one review. (most had none) Someone left a very bad review so I left a comment on his lack of skill in testing. It is a good machine.

You do have to buy testing gel cartridges for about $15.00 each and if you do not take care of them the gel goes bad. (put the testing wand in double zip lock baggies and keep in veg drawer of refer. they last longer that way. just take out a few hours before needing to test. When they go bad the gel turns to a liquid)

Thank you so much, I am going to purchase this machine in the next month.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an auracle tester.. No gels needed. But you do have to get a good file mark to test down into the piece...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions