Can a 10k test fail on an old item? Help!! OB. 10k Cameo

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this ring up for $15, I saw it was marker OB 10k with a Maltese cross. A quick search on eBay shows tons of high priced item with the same exact marking. However, I took the ring to two different places and the ring failed each acid test. It held up very slightly but both places said it was fake.... Can a 10k test fail on an item that really is 10k? I was so damn excited and now I feel crushed... Anyway it might still be gold? Kinds mad because one of the places scratched one of the corners of the ring and now it's slightly slanted, you can't see it unless you are doing a very close inspection. Also, the ladies nose is chipped off. Anyone know anything about this? It doesn't even look like OB. made any GF items unless it's a fake marking but it looks really good... dang it. Edit: Just noticed the cameo is made of real stone.
20161203_174131_resized.jpg 20161203_174222(0)_resized.jpg 20161203_174228_resized.jpg 20161203_174313_resized.jpg

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find an electronic tester to try it on... My bet is very weak 10k.... Maybe the whole way down to 8k gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I hope you're right... I really do because the ring fits me and I'd love to wear it. I just got my hopes up so much because I had never seen a cameo made of stone before and I know when they're made of stone that usually means high end. Too bad for the poor lady whose nose is gone with time lol... I would be happy if the ring tested 8k so long as it has some gold. It's weird because I can't find any examples of jewelry that was fake with this marking and the marking is worn down as if it was worn a lot. It's gotta be gold right haha? Can't get my hands on an electronic tester until Monday.

Edit: when they tested the ring it was very weak but one place said it had some gold but not 10k. Hard to explain but the test held alright for about 5 seconds but simmered down but still gave off a reddish crimson color but they said it should be stronger.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a fake one silver in color ,plastic stone

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a fake one silver in color ,plastic stone
OB 10k? Does sort of hold at 10k maybe gold filled? The cameo on mine is some sort of stone and is quite heavy.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were trying to buy it on the cheap... My scrapper never even worries about the rub turning red.. Which I think has to do with the other metals mixed in the ring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find an electronic tester to try it on... My bet is very weak 10k.... Maybe the whole way down to 8k gold.

that is the only way to go. My electronic tester will tell me within half a karat. (after you learn how to use it) It will also text for silver but they don't advertise that.

By law, jewelers can mark something 14K but it does not have to be 14K (I do not remember the exact tolerance) but it could be 13K or 15K. I doubt seriously that any jeweler will add extra gold. So guess what happens?

I rarely see any thing test the way it is marked. But if you see 14K P (or 14KP) it does not mean plated it means Plumb or exactly 14K.

If I see 18K and it is from Japan or (I think) Egypt it is 18K. The politicians in those countries have probably not been bought off by big jewelry companies wanting to cheat buyers out of .5K to 1K in gold.

A bracelet that weighs 31.1 grams and is marked 14K is worth $686.64 in raw gold, but if it is really 13K it is worth $637.59
That company just made an extra $49.05 in profit.

EagleRidge

May 13, 2009
I'm confused. You said lady twice, but, the ring shown is a man with a beard, shield, and conquistador's helmet. :icon_scratch: :)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused. You said lady twice, but, the ring shown is a man with a beard, shield, and conquistador's helmet. :icon_scratch: :)

The white part behind that is also supposed to be a figure.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TBH guys I would be incredibly surprised if this was fake and no gold at all. I took it to a reputable jeweler earlier who pointed out that the ring looks like it had been messed with or resized at some point with a metal that is not gold. Tomorrow I should have access to a electronic tester to tell for sure. As to where I found this, I found it in a bin of junk sterling jewelry $2 a gram. So disappointed because the cameo part of the ring is in poor shape it got banged around by all the sterling, several chips on it :(

Also should I be mad at what happened when I had this tested? The left corner of the first picture one of the people I had test it scratched it right on the corner so now it's shiny and slightly slanted. Very very minimal but still kind of annoys me especially since it didn't even come up as gold right there... looks worse in the picture because no light is hitting it right there, it's not actually black underneath like that.
20161204_184052.jpg 20161204_184120_resized.jpg

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The left corner of the first picture one of the people I had test it scratched it right on the corner so now it's shiny and slightly slanted. Very very minimal but still kind of annoys me especially since it didn't even come up as gold right there...
If this was a cash for gold place they could care less about damage. and they are wrong many times.
(I bought over 300 lbs of junk jewelry from a cash for gold place. it was there rejects. I pulled out many ounces of PMs. only this place did not use a file, they used a big pair of wire cutters before testing)

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring was sized, they used a lower karat solder which tarnishes over time. That in itself indicates the ring is gold. Since you mistook the bearded guy in the cameo for a woman indicates you didn't examine it with a loupe, at least not when you first posted. If a plated ring has been used (and a sized ring will have been used), you can usually see it with a loupe.

The guy who tested it rubbed it deep. If it's not gold, you should see the other metal underneath. Using a loupe, even brass will be a somewhat different color than the plating.

The guy who tested it, tested it for melt, which is what he does all the time, and was what he assumed you wanted done. He rubs deep to do that. Anyway, the cameo is dinged up, so that little rub makes no difference in the value (well, barely). It only had melt value to begin with, and you still have that.

Should you get mad? Do you get mad much? If not, don't get mad about this.

Why did the 10k test fail? Not unusual when you take your ring to random testers. Do let us know what the electronic test shows.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you mistook the bearded guy in the cameo for a woman indicates you didn't examine it with a loupe, at least not when you first posted.

The white part behind the Roman soldier is the woman with chipped nose.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white part behind the Roman soldier is the woman with chipped nose.
Glad you can see the lady hahah! Is it really that hard to see? Her face is messed up but still... and yea it probably is worth scrap but the fact that it fits is extremely rare because most these rings were like size 10 and up. I think I wear a 6-7. It a wonderful conversation piece as well. The gold tester did scuff the corner up but it's not too deep. I had an antique jeweler offer to buff it out but they say said not to bother because it isn't bad. Oh well now I know not to do that again lol I seriously didn't know they were going to do that.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh and finally I get to post on acid testing "truths"...

First... don't know if many here know this... BUT... did you know that a karat mark is RARELY what an item ACTUALLY is.

? ? ?

... shall I continue ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I do...

I would like to know the "details" of the tests... IE:... did the test "burn out" right away ?

OR - Did it "slowly burn out" ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions