Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baron Laurent de Stephanis ? His name is in a book written in 1814 .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely a beautiful ring find, HUGE Congratualtions! :occasion14:

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're finds are absolutely great. I would love that ring! I want to wear it argh! My bet is that it really is old, however, they have been made up into the modern times as well, best to go to a jeweler to have it checked out or email this person Maejean Vintage she knows a ton. Maybe able to help?

Greatly appreciate it, will do.

Thanks to everyone who glanced at this special piece of jewelry. I may let it go to an auction house. Any recommendations? Heritage? Skinner? I have a few very fine pieces to consign so I may kill a few birds with one stone...

It's lovely but this one belongs in a respectable collection.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one stunning ring. I think the intaglio is ancient, likely Roman or Greek, and the ring was made to house it later at the time of the gift probably in the 19th century.

Jamie

Agree. The 14c mark I believe is typically a Victorian era gold mark.

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologies for reviving an old thread but I saw this recently:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0153/lot-cf2d67a2-3f0f-4e03-a4fd-aadc00fd0652

It’s an early 19th century gold ring containing an ancient seal matrix and given as a gift by a titled person with an inscription. Very similar in general terms to yours.

It sold for a very large sum although the inscription does refer to a reasonably well known figure and the seal matrix is of very high quality.

Thought this might help if you do decide to sell the ring (if you haven’t already).

Jamie

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree it is a Victorian piece. It also could go early into the 20th century. The square shank was popular at that time. You should try to ID the person named first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread