HELP - Platinum & Diamond Ring - NOW WHAT??

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You should be able to take it to any Jared's, Kay's Jewelers or any other high end Jewelry Shop and obtain an Appraisal on the piece. As somewhat stated, the Diamonds appear to be and are likely Old Mine Cut Diamonds. If so, then they are usually highly sought after as many of the Mine Cut Diamonds are high quality in color and clarity. Some even have exceptional cuts that really bring out the Fire of the Diamond (i.e. Sparkle). If the center stone is nearly one carat, then total carat weight for all of the Diamonds is likely close to 4 carats and although the ring and the Diamonds could use a good cleaning, the Diamonds appear to be fairly high quality in both color and clarity. I can't tell much about the cut of the stones due to the glare and reflections but I can tell you that the ring is worth a lot more than you have been offered. A cost $250 or so for an Appraisal, would be well worth the cost in determining a retail value of the piece. However, please understand that retail value and what you can actually get for the piece are sometimes far part but in any case, the piece is still worth 5 to 10 times or more than what you have been offered. Also, seeing that the piece is old (antique or vintage), it could spur high interest in the piece as some pieces such as your's are highly sought after.

Frank

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring is an Art Deco platinum diamond filigree ring. It's 10% iridium and 90% platinum. Probably around 1.5 carat total weight if the center stone is indeed close to a carat. The center stone is a "old european cut" diamond. Measure it and if it's a little over 6mm wide then it is close to a carat.

Jewelry appraisals are extremely subjective. Diamond grading and values can be all over the place. Unless a diamond is GIA graded I wouldn't trust anyone's color or clarity grading. More than likely a super high unrealistic value will be given with an appraisal. Just take a quick look on eBay at jewelry with appraisals and what they actually sell for.

Now the only negative thing is the center stone looks like it has an inclusion visible to the naked eye. The inclusion looks pretty small and most people wouldn't notice it. It might take a loupe for some people to notice. Anyone that knows diamonds should see it instantly. I'll take a screenshot. The inclusion is white/whitish and to the 11 o'clock position very close to the center of the stone. Inclusions hurt the value of diamonds considerably but the antique setting helps make up for it.

I think the ring is realistically worth between $1500 - $2000 on eBay. Maybe priced a little higher if in a high end estate/antique jewelry shop. If selling to a reputable dealer I would expect to get $500 - $700. The dealer that offered you $450 probably didn't expect to get much more than $1500 for it. The high end price goes down if the center diamond has more inclusions or is considerably smaller than a carat.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    477.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image.png
    image.png
    392.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image.png
    image.png
    302.6 KB · Views: 94

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is nearly impossible to determine color, clarity, quality of a the cut of Diamonds and determine if they really have inclusions from pics and especially from pics of Diamonds in a ring that clearly needs to be cleaned. Also, without the ring and the Diamonds being cleaned and polished by a professional, one cannot make reasonable assessment of either due to likely dirt, grease, grime and spotting on both. Based on the larger Diamonds on the side of the ring which are surrounded by smaller Diamonds, the total carat weight of the Diamonds in the ring, IMHO is way more than 1.5 carats. In fact, the larger side Diamonds appear to be close to 1/4 carat each by themselves but of course, it depends on the depth and cut of the Culet.

Frank

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELP - Platinum & Diamond Ring - NOW WHAT??

http://www.certifiedgemlab.com/
I like using him he is real good on his prices he's located around Orlando area if I'm not mistaken he charges $75 for a written appraisal less if you take more items to him and he has no interest in buying but he can help you sell it if you would like
Here's what is appraisals look like
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487520245.730310.jpg

Last edited:

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I agree it is impossible to determine the exact color, clarity, and carat from pics. ... There are things I can tell for certain from pics. There may be more inclusions but the one I pointed out is obvious. It's not grime or dirt. It is a typical "crystal" inclusion. A professional cleaning won't remove it. The exact color of the diamond is impossible to tell unless looking at it in person but it looks at worst near colorless. Dirt and grime never make a diamond look whiter. If the center stone is indeed close to a carat then the ring carat total weight is definitely closer to 1.5ctw. No more than 2ctw. Although some of the larger surrounding diamonds are deep cut, they still look like maybe 8 - 12 points at most. The others look around 5 points. They could be a little larger but that doesn't add up to anywhere near 4 carats. It is impossible to know exactly what a diamond weighs until it's removed from the setting and weighed. An appraiser isn't going to remove the stones. He's just going to measure and make an guesstimate. If they are good they should be within 10% of the actual carat.

The appraiser mentioned looks well certified and has a thorough appraisal. I'd say he's a good one to take it to to determine the quality and details of the diamonds. Just keep in mind you'll get a sky high "value" that will never be obtained.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I'm a big advocate of finding a good jeweler - not a mall jewelry store and make friends with the jeweler. This may involve spending money with them buying or repairing jewelery, but give them a reason to be nice to you. They can know at a glance what a piece is worth. You spend money on the piece of paper from the appraisal (which is actually just for insurance, more on this below), but a good jeweler you have a relationship with can tell you roughly what the ball park is.

Now, appraisals. Ever buy a lady a diamond ring, have it appraised and then try to sell it somehow after the fact? You'll NEVER get anywhere near what that appraisal says. You use those appraisals for insurance purposes in case it's stolen or destroyed. Diamond rings (most under 1 ct, any way) are like new cars, they loose a bunch of value after they leave the showroom. Going to pawns and estate jeweler's will only ever get you one half of what they expect to sell it for. If they told you 450, they can sell it for AT least 900. If you want top dollar you have to cut out the middle man and sell direct to the final customer.

Really, your best bet is to look for comparable rings on ebay and see what they sold for. Same size, same style, stone size, material etc. This appears to be a victorian wedding ring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggmike

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home | Certified Gem Lab
I like using him he is real good on his prices he's located around Orlando area if I'm not mistaken he charges $75 for a written appraisal less if you take more items to him and he has no interest in buying but he can help you sell it if you would like
Here's what is appraisals look like
View attachment 1416480

OK, I'm set up for an appraisal on Friday afternoon with "Certified gem lab" in Altamonte Springs. Quoted $125 price over the phone after asking a lot of questions about the ring and sounds like a good option. I also realize that an appraisal isn't a selling price but more of a new replacement (insurance) quote. Thanks again everyone and I'll let you know how it comes out.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, I'm set up for an appraisal on Friday afternoon with "Certified gem lab" in Altamonte Springs. Quoted $125 price over the phone after asking a lot of questions about the ring and sounds like a good option. I also realize that an appraisal isn't a selling price but more of a new replacement (insurance) quote. Thanks again everyone and I'll let you know how it comes out.

Great! Let us know the results if you don't mind.

Frank

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These vintage rings can go for a huge premium, especially in this Art Deco design. Awesome score. My sister got one for her engagement and loves it and I know it wasn't cheap!

I'm going to guess a 7k appraisal and should be put in a vintage jewelry auction to get the most out of it.

OP
OP
biggmike

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is WOW. Henry Walton Jones Jr. you hit it right on the head...... Joseph with Certified Gem Labs was so informative and took his time. Probably very close to 2 hours and he said he was amazed by the workmanship of this ring. He said it was probably made between 1905 and 1920 and took someone back then at least a full day to create. Thanks for referring me to him.

Screenshot (246).png

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggmike

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I saw that when I got home. Not sure but I'm guessing like you said, a typo.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frank I think I made a pretty dang good guesstimate on the ring from just looking at pictures. Tcw... closer to 1.5 no more than 2(1.72). Color...near colorless or better(J-K). Clarity... small inclusion that most people probably wouldn't notice(SI1). The cut...old European cut not a mine cut(OEC).

Just remember that because you can't do something ...that doesn't mean someone else can't.

I don't like the fact that the appraiser didn't put the current platinum price. He also graded the main diamond in a color range instead of the exact color. Send a diamond off to GIA and you don't get a range. You get the exact color. No big deal though...just minor stuff.

Mike keep in mind that 7k plus appraisal is a sky high "replacement" value. You should have asked the appraiser how much he would buy the ring for. Lol the look on his face probably would have been priceless. Regardless I still stick by my original estimate of 1.5k - 2k of being a realistic selling high end value. Mega score mike! Finds like that is what keeps us going!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Frank I think I made a pretty dang good guesstimate on the ring from just looking at pictures. Tcw... closer to 1.5 no more than 2(1.72). Color...near colorless or better(J-K). Clarity... small inclusion that most people probably wouldn't notice(SI1). The cut...old European cut not a mine cut(OEC).

Just remember that because you can't do something ...that doesn't mean someone else can't.

I don't like the fact that the appraiser didn't put the current platinum price. He also graded the main diamond in a color range instead of the exact color. Send a diamond off to GIA and you don't get a range. You get the exact color. No big deal though...just minor stuff.

Mike keep in mind that 7k plus appraisal is a sky high "replacement" value. You should have asked the appraiser how much he would buy the ring for. Lol the look on his face probably would have been priceless. Regardless I still stick by my original estimate of 1.5k - 2k of being a realistic selling high end value. Mega score mike! Finds like that is what keeps us going!

I won't even try to defend my statements on the ring and the Diamonds but believe the quoted statement in bold is condescending, which is neither appreciated nor warranted in a forum setting! As far as you giving a total carat weight of the Diamonds close to the Appraisal based on somewhat fuzzy pics, I doubt that it had little to do with any skill but more attributed to a hairy ass guess.

Frank

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cha ching...Im thinking you should be able to sell it for between 2 to 3 thousand.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't even try to defend my statements on the ring and the Diamonds but believe the quoted statement in bold is condescending, which is neither appreciated nor warranted in a forum setting! As far as you giving a total carat weight of the Diamonds close to the Appraisal based on somewhat fuzzy pics, I doubt that it had little to do with any skill but more attributed to a hairy ass guess.

Frank
"hairy ass guess"....that's funny right there. :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Frank just a hairy ass guess. Clearly nothing to do with knowledge and experience. I gave a fairly accurate guesstimate from somewhat fuzzy pictures. Most people couldn't have done that in person. My original statement was detailed and somewhat informative but was instantly shot down by you. You won't even try to defend your statements on the ring? What is there to defend? "Mine cut"? Lol 4ctw???

The "just because you can't do something" comment wasn't necessarily directed at you. More of a general reminder to all of us on t-net. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been told that something can't be done since I've started treasure hunting. I'm sure most people here have experienced the same. I'll give you an example... Most of the time I can tell the carat of gold by just the color. I couldn't tell you how many times that I've been told that can't be done! Most people probably can't do it but to say it can't be done is absurd.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Check the measurements of the Diamonds from the Appraisal and see what you come up with. While there is no way to know the Girdle correction, I get a total of 2.16 carats (0.88ct Center Diamond + (8 x 0.10ct=) 0.80ct + (8 x 0.06ct=) 0.48ct = 2.16 carats. The setting often distorts the true size and look of a Diamond if viewing with the eye or at a distance and especially so in pics. And yes, I was wrong about it being a Old European Cut vs my answer, a Mine Cut as I still am not that familiar with the different cuts and should pay more attention. I can usually tell the color and clarity of a Diamond but never try to do so from pics as it is often inaccurate, self defeating and can be costly if one makes a mistake. Like you, I can often tell the difference in Gold purity from the looks of jewelry but the same often applies if trying to do so from pics.

Frank

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd ask for a second appraisal at no charge quoting cost of platinum not gold. You paid for a proper appraisal, and he gave you an incorrect one.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, a mine cut is usually more squared, has larger facets and a large culet. I would compare my knowledge of diamonds to your knowledge of coins. Yes given the measurements I think the tcw may be a little higher than given(still no where near 4ctw ...and you just had to break the 2ct mark lol). Some of the side diamonds also look like they are quite deep cut. However I mentioned all that in my original post. I also mentioned that jewelry appraisals and diamond grading can be extremely subjective. Who are we to argue with someone who has more than likely spent tens of thousands of dollars getting all that gia certification? However even he is just making assumptions. You can't accurately grade or weigh mounted diamonds. There could be inclusions or nicks to the girdle hidden under the prongs. Plus determining the color is extremely difficult if not impossible.

I also think the diamond is fluorescent and am a little disappointed that the appraiser didn't test for it. It is a simple uv light test. If its florescent it will make the diamond appear a shade or two whiter. Not a huge deal but if I spent $125 on an appraisal I would want it to be as accurate and detailed as possible. I agree with warbaby...you paid for a proper appraisal, no reason why you shouldn't get it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread