Bracelets $2- rings .50 cents

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady called today. Said she was having a sale on Friday, wanted to know if I would come over and take a look. she had everything priced a head of time. Rings were .50. Bracelets $2. Necklaces were $1. Earrings .50 each. I could buy whatever I wanted. I spent $1350. Not at her prices though. I would have spent $26. (Not pictured is a bunch of costume and gold filled.)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483068274.050777.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483068296.398471.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483068329.782099.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483068355.013380.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483068376.065176.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483068409.771449.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483068434.071502.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483068460.649869.jpg

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow... beautiful jewelry.... great guy for not taking advantage of her :) The antique Filigree bracelets are awesome!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... beautiful jewelry.... great guy for not taking advantage of her :) The antique Filigree bracelets are awesome!

I'm not sure I can sell them. Everything can be sold, some is meant to be saved I feel. I wish i could teleport back to the 20s-50s. To see what life was like... Although, I'd probably just fill my pockets with silver coins. Lol. I love old stuff. I'm a dying breed, especially my own family!

Note: there are 15 gold rings!! Who here wouldn't love to hit that yard sale! 15!!!

Last edited:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you one thing. You have a better conscience than me. I think if I could have walked for $30, I never would have paid 1350. Would I have given her a 30 and thanked her for calling me? No, I would have probably paid 50% of melt or something. Or simply looked at the lot and said "miss, you have some very, very nice jewelry here. I'd like to pay you $500." Both parties would be thrilled.

Details on the deco bracelet? Is it in fact white gold with gems?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a similar thing years ago when I had my own store buying and selling guns, jewelry, coins, gold & silver. I had a lady call me and said she had some silver to sell and needed just $250 for groceries. I asked her to describe over the phone 1 of the pieces. She said it was a 5 oz bar of Sterling Silver and she had a bunch of them. I told her it sounded like she had more than $250 worth and to please bring them in for me to look at. It was approx 30 minutes later when I looked out the store window and a lady approx 60 years old was carrying what looked like a very heavy wooded box. I went to the door , took it from her and she said her husband was coming with another box. I went out and carried it in too. What these were was a complete set of fancy proof Sterling Silver bars of all the US 50 states and a complete set of all of the US presidents. They had (88) bars in total all in fancy presentation cases. She and her husband just kept saying they just needed around $250 for groceries until the next month. I could have easily have paid them $250, $300 or even $500 and they would have been very happy. They had right at 440 oz of Sterling silver with them. I can't remember the exact figure but I paid them just over $4000 for them. They thought I was crazy :) They had me put the cash in 2 separate envelopes so each one could carry part of the money. (I paid everyone back then in cash). I ended up selling these sets for right at $5000.
Crazy story but true.

Gary from Oregon

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you one thing. You have a better conscience than me. I think if I could have walked for $30, I never would have paid 1350. Would I have given her a 30 and thanked her for calling me? No, I would have probably paid 50% of melt or something. Or simply looked at the lot and said "miss, you have some very, very nice jewelry here. I'd like to pay you $500." Both parties would be thrilled.

Details on the deco bracelet? Is it in fact white gold with gems?

The deco bracelets are marked emesco? 10k diamond w/ sapphire. The one is excellent. Other one is very good but the clasp comes open I don't think it supposed to do that. Still nice though!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a similar thing years ago when I had my own store buying and selling guns, jewelry, coins, gold & silver. I had a lady call me and said she had some silver to sell and needed just $250 for groceries. I asked her to describe over the phone 1 of the pieces. She said it was a 5 oz bar of Sterling Silver and she had a bunch of them. I told her it sounded like she had more than $250 worth and to please bring them in for me to look at. It was approx 30 minutes later when I looked out the store window and a lady approx 60 years old was carrying what looked like a very heavy wooded box. I went to the door , took it from her and she said her husband was coming with another box. I went out and carried it in too. What these were was a complete set of fancy proof Sterling Silver bars of all the US 50 states and a complete set of all of the US presidents. They had (88) bars in total all in fancy presentation cases. She and her husband just kept saying they just needed around $250 for groceries until the next month. I could have easily have paid them $250, $300 or even $500 and they would have been very happy. They had right at 440 oz of Sterling silver with them. I can't remember the exact figure but I paid them just over $4000 for them. They thought I was crazy :) They had me put the cash in 2 separate envelopes so each one could carry part of the money. (I paid everyone back then in cash). I ended up selling these sets for right at $5000.
Crazy story but true.

Gary from Oregon

Crazy awesome! Even more crazy than that is a pawn shop satisfied with 20% margin on a big purchase. Haha very honest.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If someone asks me how much I can pay for something I give them my highest & best price. If someone wants to set their own price I don't have any problem buying for way less than actual value. Having said that, there are times when the deal was so good I've paid more than they were asking. When that happens I pay about half what I would have offered.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What beautiful jewelry, amazing pieces! That is truly a phenomenal score. What a way to start 2017. You're a good man, and good fortune will seek you every time. Congratulations.

Artslinger.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady called today. Said she was having a sale on Friday, wanted to know if I would come over and take a look. she had everything priced a head of time. Rings were .50. Bracelets $2. Necklaces were $1. Earrings .50 each. I could buy whatever I wanted. I spent $1350. Not at her prices though. I would have spent $26. (Not pictured is a bunch of costume and gold filled.)

View attachment 1395994
View attachment 1395996
View attachment 1395998
View attachment 1395999
View attachment 1396000
View attachment 1396001
View attachment 1396002
View attachment 1396003

You're a gem yourself. What you paid above asking price is going to come back to you tenfold in karma and whatever else that comes with that! Great job

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection. You did the right thing. Karma will be on your side.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! It was like 50% of spot but didn't deduct the stone weight. Last year I seemed to offer high and people would negotiate higher. Now I'm gonna offer lower and they can negotiate higher. This lady nearly fell over at $1250! But she was happy and knew I need to make some too.

I got two more calls tonight for tomorrow. One for US currency and one for vintage toys.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why was she selling so cheap?

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had things like that bite me in the butt. They want $5, I say, "It's worth more than that, I'll pay $50"
They say, "Well, if you'll pay $50, it's probably worth a lot more, Not for sale!"

I pay them what they want, Once it is in my car, I say, "You know, That was quite nice, I would have been willing to pay $50, here's another $45."

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why was she selling so cheap?

It was her father's wife's jewelry. So her stepmom sort of but not really as I guess this was the ladies third or fourth marriage? No family, she did not really like the lady from what I understand. And wanted to get rid of everything. She wanted me to come over and look at the jewelry, I expected a jewelry box. More like 1000 pieces of costume jewelry. Probably more than that there was 2 small Home Depot packing boxes full of stuff.

There was a lot of vintage name brand stuff, however I have so much stuff as it is. A lot of it would sell between 10 and $25 each that she had. I went for the big ticket items. but I left alot for other people to buy. I love buying and selling. And figured I'll leave some items in there for the other pickers too. Give someone else a good day too. (And I figured I didn't need 400 pairs of clip on earrings!)

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is an impressive score, but I can't say I would have paid that much. I pay whatever someone asks. The reason I do this is simple. I do not own a store. I pick up items at garage sales. Most of the garage sales I go to I don't buy anything. Maybe 10% or 15% of the sales I go to I buy something. Usually, the item I buy does not make me much. So, it is a very rare sale that I make a large amount of money. I also work part time driving around a guy for $12 an hour. On the days we work, we work 10 or 12 hours a day, so my take home after taxes is around $100. Obviously, that job is really easy. There are many times when I go to sales, drive around all day, and I don't buy anything. Actually, buying at sales is more work than just driving around the guy all day, and I might make nothing. So, to make up for the days I make nothing, I need to have those days in which I make a good score. Also, garage sales are seasonal and just 2 days a week, you simply do not have much time to find items. In addition to this, going to sales requires gas and wear on tear on your vehicle, all of this needs to be factored in. Also, unless you have someone you know that will pay you full retail price or full melt value on something, you will be forced to pay ebay and paypal fees, all of which eats into your profits. I don't know of anyone, with the exception of store owners(which requires additional capital), that makes a good living picking. It is always just extra money. I know, one out of a million people will find that old rare item that is worth a fortune, but most will not. Therefore, whenever I can make a good score, I will. As long as both parties walk away happy, I am fine with that. I will not spend 1,000 dollars to make 100 dollars. With all the time and work involved with that, it is far easier for me just to drive the guy around, and I won't have to spend any money to do so. What you did was very kind. What you paid for the jewelry shows your class and integrity, and I can respect that. But, for me, there has to be some real money in the game, or I just do not care. My job is not to inform people at garage sales that they priced their items too low.:icon_king:

Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic score!! You did good with giving her a reasonable offer. I certainly don't have the deep pockets to do something like that but I really respect your honesty and integrity! Great things will come your way in 2017 my friend!! I like to do similar things but to a much small scale. However, I do like getting a great find on the cheap! I am part pirate!! ☠️

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is an impressive score, but I can't say I would have paid that much. I pay whatever someone asks. The reason I do this is simple. I do not own a store. I pick up items at garage sales. Most of the garage sales I go to I don't buy anything. Maybe 10% or 15% of the sales I go to I buy something. Usually, the item I buy does not make me much. So, it is a very rare sale that I make a large amount of money. I also work part time driving around a guy for $12 an hour. On the days we work, we work 10 or 12 hours a day, so my take home after taxes is around $100. Obviously, that job is really easy. There are many times when I go to sales, drive around all day, and I don't buy anything. Actually, buying at sales is more work than just driving around the guy all day, and I might make nothing. So, to make up for the days I make nothing, I need to have those days in which I make a good score. Also, garage sales are seasonal and just 2 days a week, you simply do not have much time to find items. In addition to this, going to sales requires gas and wear on tear on your vehicle, all of this needs to be factored in. Also, unless you have someone you know that will pay you full retail price or full melt value on something, you will be forced to pay ebay and paypal fees, all of which eats into your profits. I don't know of anyone, with the exception of store owners(which requires additional capital), that makes a good living picking. It is always just extra money. I know, one out of a million people will find that old rare item that is worth a fortune, but most will not. Therefore, whenever I can make a good score, I will. As long as both parties walk away happy, I am fine with that. I will not spend 1,000 dollars to make 100 dollars. With all the time and work involved with that, it is far easier for me just to drive the guy around, and I won't have to spend any money to do so. What you did was very kind. What you paid for the jewelry shows your class and integrity, and I can respect that. But, for me, there has to be some real money in the game, or I just do not care. My job is not to inform people at garage sales that they priced their items too low.:icon_king:

Hi I don't have a whole Lotta time to respond so I hope I don't sound rude just because I only have like five minutes. As far as the price is paid I totally agree with you. When I go to a yard sale I normally pay their prices and I alot of times I don't even really negotiate with them. I'm just happy to pay whatever they have and MoveOn. Most things as you know are not very expensive. So that's how yard sale works and can either talk them down, pay for it or move on.

Then there's the other option, When someone calls me to come to their house because they don't know what they have then I want to be honest with them. As much as possible. Do I want to spend $30 instead of 1200? Of course. But that is on the yard sale days. When someone calls me directly to go to their house I can't tell you the amount of times it has paid for it self being honest with them when I'm working with someone. Some people honestly have no idea what their stuff is worth, they will tell you I want to quarter for this or I want $100 for it. It might be worth $500 then again it might be worth $.50.! You can't somebody that knows what they have and you lie to them they will kick you out of their house so quick!

I am a licensed buyer, I do advertise that I buy. I don't go to a lot of houses because the yard sales down here are very plentiful and the thrift stores are very plentiful so I don't really need to spend a whole lot. But I love what I do! Like the one post above when the guy said they needed money for groceries. $250, you can give them $250 but when you give them the $4000 something inside of your heart changes. And here's a biggie, that couple that got $4000 how many people do you think they sent his way?

I went to one consignment store six months ago this lady had a bracelet that she took to a guy she refers her customers too. He offered her $200 for it. I didn't know that she referred people to anyone, I gave her $400 for the bracelet even though it's scrapped at about $650. Guess who she refers every one too! Lol. I went to a guys house today that she sent me too. he has 100+ pre-1933 gold coins. I can't afford a single one of them. We're sending an investor in and I'll make maybe $200 finder fee. That's better than handing out the money for a house to buy coins.

I'm not rich, I have three kids, rent my house. I just like being honest with people and if I can double my money I'm happy with that! I have worked with very rich people, I have worked with poor people and everyone in between. I've been given things that are unbelievable and I've had the opportunity to purchase things that are mind blowing. I've only been doing this for a year, every day is different. I don't post a whole lot on here but some days you make $100 profit and other days you make a $1000 profit. I try to learn as much as I can. This site is as good as a college education as far as I'm concerned what you can learn from other people on here is amazing! I have provided for my family for three years solely on eBay. There has been ups and downs, like with anything else! If you have any questions just ask I have to go sorry.

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I get what you are trying to do. I could not do it where I live because there simply isn't many people where I live and every jewelry shop around has signs that they buy gold, but I hope it works out well for you.:icon_king:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I don't have a whole Lotta time to respond so I hope I don't sound rude just because I only have like five minutes. As far as the price is paid I totally agree with you. When I go to a yard sale I normally pay their prices and I alot of times I don't even really negotiate with them. I'm just happy to pay whatever they have and MoveOn. Most things as you know are not very expensive. So that's how yard sale works and can either talk them down, pay for it or move on.

Then there's the other option, When someone calls me to come to their house because they don't know what they have then I want to be honest with them. As much as possible. Do I want to spend $30 instead of 1200? Of course. But that is on the yard sale days. When someone calls me directly to go to their house I can't tell you the amount of times it has paid for it self being honest with them when I'm working with someone. Some people honestly have no idea what their stuff is worth, they will tell you I want to quarter for this or I want $100 for it. It might be worth $500 then again it might be worth $.50.! You can't somebody that knows what they have and you lie to them they will kick you out of their house so quick!

I am a licensed buyer, I do advertise that I buy. I don't go to a lot of houses because the yard sales down here are very plentiful and the thrift stores are very plentiful so I don't really need to spend a whole lot. But I love what I do! Like the one post above when the guy said they needed money for groceries. $250, you can give them $250 but when you give them the $4000 something inside of your heart changes. And here's a biggie, that couple that got $4000 how many people do you think they sent his way?

I went to one consignment store six months ago this lady had a bracelet that she took to a guy she refers her customers too. He offered her $200 for it. I didn't know that she referred people to anyone, I gave her $400 for the bracelet even though it's scrapped at about $650. Guess who she refers every one too! Lol. I went to a guys house today that she sent me too. he has 100+ pre-1933 gold coins. I can't afford a single one of them. We're sending an investor in and I'll make maybe $200 finder fee. That's better than handing out the money for a house to buy coins.

I'm not rich, I have three kids, rent my house. I just like being honest with people and if I can double my money I'm happy with that! I have worked with very rich people, I have worked with poor people and everyone in between. I've been given things that are unbelievable and I've had the opportunity to purchase things that are mind blowing. I've only been doing this for a year, every day is different. I don't post a whole lot on here but some days you make $100 profit and other days you make a $1000 profit. I try to learn as much as I can. This site is as good as a college education as far as I'm concerned what you can learn from other people on here is amazing! I have provided for my family for three years solely on eBay. There has been ups and downs, like with anything else! If you have any questions just ask I have to go sorry.

Well said BK!! And you're right. This forum is a wealth of knowledge that everyone contributes to!! We all have our specialties and it's one of my favorite things to be a part of!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread