Hot Streak Pt. 2! First Georg Jensen! 14k Von Skal ring

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was out searching my favorite coin store where I found my 10k Otsby Barton cameo ring for $10. They have these junk sterling jewelry bins for 1 or 2 dollars a gram. It's incredibly fun to go through them! Anyways I found this brooch and I hadn't known about Georg Jensen until I joined Tnet! It was in perfect condition so I bought it for $10. I looked up Georg Jensen 97 on eBay and there are some crazy prices on there! I highly doubt anyone would pay that much, but for $10 that's a steal!!
20170106_194033_resized.jpg 20170106_194054_resized.jpg

Now for a weird story, I was at another pawn shop two days ago looking for rings for myself. I noticed a small gold ring 10k really light, like 3 grams. I asked the lady how much and she said $55 when there was $68 worth of gold there... okay? I didn't have much cash on me at the time and wasn't too crazy about the ring, maybe I could have made like $40 off of it? Oh well. I asked to see another ring that was 14k, a big chunky gold ring weighing in at 8.4g, fit me perfectly and I loved it. Thinking it was going to be crazy expensive, she says $120... What the heck!! I snatched it up without even making an offer. About $185 worth of gold or so. Better than that is the fact it's a Hubertus Von Skal ring! Vintage designer brand, he was born in Germany 1942, and probably made the ring around late 60s early 70s. I feel like I got a very nice ring at a great price, worth more than melt IMO just looking at some on eBay, smaller ones selling for more than what I paid. Never been resized, great condition, stone is a lab sapphire (may just be glass IDK but it doesn't matter). Now comes the weird part...... I went back today with more $$$ hoping to get more rings. Same lady as before, I ask to see a 14k ring weighing 5 grams, I like it I want to buy it and ask how much and she says $350... umm? I took my money and didn't buy anything else... Very odd but still very happy with my ring as I have been wearing it around everywhere.
20170106_194135.jpg 20170106_194158_resized.jpg 20170106_194217_resized.jpg 20170106_194234_resized.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky you. I'm on a dead steak. Best thing I got so far this year was at the flea market in a booth from a lady that does estate buys. She had a little plastic bag of 5 old pens and in it was a Grey Parker 51 with a gold fill cap and a nice striped early Sheaffer fountain pen for $5.89 The other 3 are worth only something to write with.

Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your brooch was made post 45 by the mark and the center stone is either carnelian or coral. Either way, great find. I collect all sorts of Georg Jensen and it always a thrill to buy something at a great price.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw you heading I thought why would any one make a George Jetson broach? Maybe Astro but not George ;)

You can tell I mostly buy jewelry to melt not to resell.

Attachments

• 312RHA7JTFL.jpg
    312RHA7JTFL.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your brooch was made post 45 by the mark and the center stone is either carnelian or coral. Either way, great find. I collect all sorts of Georg Jensen and it always a thrill to buy something at a great price.

How much do you think it could bring on eBay? The prices on there seem quite high! One sold for best offer off of $500 so don't know how much exactly.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pieces! I think you need to check your math though. 3 g of 10 karat is worth $47 according to my gold calculator. Still a great buy

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pieces! I think you need to check your math though. 3 g of 10 karat is worth $47 according to my gold calculator. Still a great buy
Yea thanks! And as for that 3 gram ring I think it was more around 3.5-3.9 grams not too sure, didn't buy it anyways though! My math couldn't have been off as I use this http://www.goldcalc.com/scrap_gold_value.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread