Massive Silver Eagle And Proof Hoard

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into an estate sale the day before they opened and had first shot at the biggest Silver Eagle collection I've ever seen. There was literally laundry baskets of Silver Eagles, Proofs, Morgans and Peace dollars. I ended up buying 102 Silver Eagles for $15 each, 24 Proof Eagles for $35 each, Morgan Silver dollars for $15 each and the guy threw in the Paper money for free........then I ran out of money and hardly put a dent in the collection. I spent a total of $2500 and wished I had brought more. Unbelievable sale. DSC_0019 (1).JPG DSC_0004 (1).JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0005 (1).JPG DSC_0007 (1).JPG DSC_0017 (1).JPG DSC_0019 (1).JPG DSC_0004 (1).JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0005 (1).JPG DSC_0007 (1).JPG DSC_0017 (1).JPG

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they have anymore Morgans? I would have gone after those for $15 wow!! Those are the best deals of them all IMO especially if you got a key date!

OP
OP
J

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They had five full dansco albums of morgans and peace dollars, but those coins were $25 each. The coins in the albums were better condition and i'm sure there were some key dates in them. It was a shame to leave them behind because we all know how hard it is to find this kind of stuff.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
They had five full dansco albums of morgans and peace dollars, but those coins were $25 each. The coins in the albums were better condition and i'm sure there were some key dates in them. It was a shame to leave them behind because we all know how hard it is to find this kind of stuff.
This would have been what I spent the most time looking at. There are several Morgan dollars that are worth hundreds of dollars and a few worth thousands...

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

I'd have been all over those. Nothing wrong with $15 Morgans but they are more than likely lower value commons worth at most $25. If they had any of the key dates, semi-keys, better conditon, and/or CC coins the profit margin would have been much higher.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
leave the proof eagles @ 35ea and buy ALL THE MORGANS!! hahah great going!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buy! Silver has been on a tear the last couple days! If I would've bought that, silver would've lost five dollars an ounce. Haha! Congrats again!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never seen coins at a garage sale

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I have never seen coins at a garage sale

You have to start asking! I have bought coin collections off the preverbial baby clothes and toys lawn sales, all because I asked. I have seen people post on here numerous times, they won't stop or if they are walking up they will turn around and walk away. Why? You are already there, if you don't see what you are looking for, ask. At these sort of sales, people are obviously doing it to raise a little cash, get the kid into some new clothes a size bigger, etc. They want to sell something. You are already on their lawn, ASK! If I don't see what I want I run down the whole litany of things I buy, coins, jewelry, firearms, watches. If they are all a no, I wish them good luck on their sale and say goodbye. Just being polite has gotten me sales too, as they will say, let me call my Mother, I know she has Dad's old coin collection, watches and or firearms. Try it, it doesn't work every time, but it will work. I once bought a coin collection I felt very comfortable buying for $3500 and parted out for over 5K and kept some coins I needed for my collection at a baby clothes and toys yard sale. The young couple never thought to put out Grampa's coin collection. Just ask and good luck out there.

T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions