Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up from the same estate sale as the Guanyin statue:

- chain and earring set - 10K - chain: 16.5" & 50g / earrings 8.1g
- the owner said the stones are synthetic Alexandrite (stones are 14mm in diameter)
- she also said necklaces was "Egyptian"

It's marked 10K and tests as 10K. Any idea of time period? I was thinking Victorian or a little later. Any ideal on value?

happy hunting,
bill

IMG_20170121_191623.jpg IMG_20170121_191641.jpg

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi that's a sweet looking necklace. I tried looking online I don't have anything to even compare it to. I sold a ring awhile ago for like $300. I'm sure with all the rings out there a lot of people would desire to have that necklace and earrings to match them. With nothing to compare it to, other than this necklace on Ruby Lane. https://www.rubylane.com/item/1454688-8159/Beautiful-Vintage-10k-Yellow-Gold-33ct.

That thing looks like it's at least double what this price is asking maybe even more. I would play dumb and start off at $3000 or best offer until you find out some more information about it. It could be worth more then that if you can find a buyer. It's a 1 of a kind piece for sure.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi that's a sweet looking necklace. I tried looking online I don't have anything to even compare it to. I sold a ring awhile ago for like $300. I'm sure with all the rings out there a lot of people would desire to have that necklace and earrings to match them. With nothing to compare it to, other than this necklace on Ruby Lane. https://www.rubylane.com/item/1454688-8159/Beautiful-Vintage-10k-Yellow-Gold-33ct.

That thing looks like it's at least double what this price is asking maybe even more. I would play dumb and start off at $3000 or best offer until you find out some more information about it. It could be worth more then that if you can find a buyer. It's a 1 of a kind piece for sure.

Thanks Beach! Did a little more research and it seems likely it is Egyptian Revival time period and not Victorian. Using earrings to estimate stone weight, I figure there is about 22g of 10K gold, which is great. Will likely take it to antique jewelry store for appraisal.

This is definitely the nicest set I have ever found. The synthetic Alexandrite is really pretty amazing in the light. Would like to see what real Alexandrite looks.

hh,
bill

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposedly the natural alexandrite is worth a fortune too. From what I understand of the synthetic is a mixture of sapphire and amethyst. Still a very pretty stone! That's an awesome score for sure.

fransherrell

Dec 20, 2016
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful set Indeed! I will also like to buy something like this. Please let me know where you have bought it from. Have you bought it from any of the online companies? Fantastic choice though.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful set Indeed! I will also like to buy something like this. Please let me know where you have bought it from. Have you bought it from any of the online companies? Fantastic choice though.

Thanks. I bought it from a family run estate sale.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was a woman, Id wear that. Pretty necklace.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was a woman, Id wear that. Pretty necklace.

Well that's quite a compliment, but the mental image was a little disturbing! :)

Took it to a high end antique jewelry shop. They confirmed it's 10K. Said it was most likely 1940s which is later than I thought.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they give you any idea about the stones? I'm always fascinated about stones and whether they are real or manmade, and how to tell.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural alexandrite can be worth a fortune depending on size and quality. The synthetic alexandrite is not a mixture of amethyst and sapphire lol. It is just lab grown alexandrite (chrysoberyl). Synthetic alexandrite is a little different in color from natural. The stones in your necklace should look a greenish blue in sunlight. Natural high quality has more of a greenish to reddish color change. It could also be synthetic color change corundum(sapphire). Either way the value remains the same. If you feel like sharing I'm kinda curious what you paid?

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these were real alexandrite, I'd be able to retire and then some!

Lady I bought it from knew it was synthetic alexandrite. Not sure if she thought it was gold or gold filled. She said her mother bought it from an estate sale. I think I paid about $40 for the set. At the time thought it was gold filled and had never heard of alexandrite.

I think boss lady is keeping this one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread