All Treasure Hunting

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a sale this weekend with my girlfriend and she found two cases of (24) Maxell 90-minute cassette tapes in a pile of VHS and cassettes that were marked 'Free'. (48) brand new blank cassettes in shrinkwrap. Should be good for $49.99 or so on eBay.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I have to admit, sometimes I am too embarrassed to pour through the free pile. Other times, once in particular, I didn't even realize I was in the free pile and made a bee line for an area of a yard sale where I could see all the "old stuff" was gathered. I had quickly identified 4 or 5 smalls that I could easily sell and ship on eBay and went to ask the owner of the yard sale how much. He informed me that stuff was free. I believe I said something about feeling guilty for taking the stuff for free and would "give him something" for the items, but he insisted if I didn't take them, someone else would have. I put those items in my truck and came back to the sale and looked for something to buy. I really don't remember if I found much to "purchase" or not, but I did find a couple of bigger items from the free pile that I knew I could sell one on one, maybe to one of my dealers with a shop. That day was my biggest free pile haul and started out innocently enough.

T.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just this week got a Pokémon trainer master board game for free. Hope to sell for about $30. Also got 3 iPhone 4s yesterday for free. My best find would probably be a working snow blower from the free pile.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many free piles to be seen in my area by my Dad ended up going to a sale that i spotted on his route home. Turns out it was a older home that had 120 years worth of stuff inside. The garage had a small access path on the side that led to the alley but it was blocked with old boxes and junk. When he inquired, he was told that was all the trash they were going to throw away! He ended up pulling out 3 or 4 pieces of Griswold diamond logo cast iron that was in perfect shape. I'm pretty sure it was a rectangular griddle pan, round griddle pan, 10" skillet and a waffle maker "chimney" with no waffle maker. He also grabbed a case of olive colored mason jars! the garage was full of mason jars, new in the boxes/crates, up in the rafters rotting away. The olive ones were loose and must have spilled out so they were getting tossed.

OP
OP
GarageSaleKing

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a sale this weekend with my girlfriend and she found two cases of (24) Maxell 90-minute cassette tapes in a pile of VHS and cassettes that were marked 'Free'. (48) brand new blank cassettes in shrinkwrap. Should be good for $49.99 or so on eBay.

Cassettes that are new and sealed are a great way to enhance profit taking at garage sales. I pick up a number of them every year.:icon_king:

OP
OP
GarageSaleKing

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit, sometimes I am too embarrassed to pour through the free pile. Other times, once in particular, I didn't even realize I was in the free pile and made a bee line for an area of a yard sale where I could see all the "old stuff" was gathered. I had quickly identified 4 or 5 smalls that I could easily sell and ship on eBay and went to ask the owner of the yard sale how much. He informed me that stuff was free. I believe I said something about feeling guilty for taking the stuff for free and would "give him something" for the items, but he insisted if I didn't take them, someone else would have. I put those items in my truck and came back to the sale and looked for something to buy. I really don't remember if I found much to "purchase" or not, but I did find a couple of bigger items from the free pile that I knew I could sell one on one, maybe to one of my dealers with a shop. That day was my biggest free pile haul and started out innocently enough.

T.

I am never too embarrassed to make cash. The free pile can help me do that. I have also, on occasion, bought something else from that persons garage sale as a sign of gratitude.:icon_king:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wife told me to stop :dontknow:

haha no entrepreneurial spirit, huh

my woman hates when I stop to go through piles of trash from a house cleanout. I love treasure hunting in those black plastic bags. So much good stuff is wasted.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
haha no entrepreneurial spirit, huh

my woman hates when I stop to go through piles of trash from a house cleanout. I love treasure hunting in those black plastic bags. So much good stuff is wasted.

Someone in our neighborhood was clearing out their home and had bags/boxes of trash dumped in their front tree lawn. I was hesitant at first but my wife insisted that we "walk the dog" by. On the initial pass, I picked up a Castle Greyskull box and an unopened Hot Wheels track box. Got them home and realized the castle parts were still sealed inside.

We quickly went back and pulled out many other things including a box of 300 vacation slides form the 40's/50's (sold for $150), camera and video camera (both working!), a new in box perfume set, a box of brand new lightbulbs and many more things. The most amazing thing though was a cigar box FULL of change (came out to $40 worth!) in a bag of garbage. Ended up making around $400 to $500 from someone's "trash".

For that, I'll chance the potential embarrassment of my neighbors watching me trash dive :tongue3:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah trash picking can be fun and highly profietible as well...

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone in our neighborhood was clearing out their home and had bags/boxes of trash dumped in their front tree lawn. I was hesitant at first but my wife insisted that we "walk the dog" by. On the initial pass, I picked up a Castle Greyskull box and an unopened Hot Wheels track box. Got them home and realized the castle parts were still sealed inside.

We quickly went back and pulled out many other things including a box of 300 vacation slides form the 40's/50's (sold for $150), camera and video camera (both working!), a new in box perfume set, a box of brand new lightbulbs and many more things. The most amazing thing though was a cigar box FULL of change (came out to $40 worth!) in a bag of garbage. Ended up making around $400 to $500 from someone's "trash".

For that, I'll chance the potential embarrassment of my neighbors watching me trash dive :tongue3:

fantastic work. I find purses from time to time. Wallets even. Never any ID's or CC's or anything, but often there is change or jewelry or even gift cards with balances!! People are crazy.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic work. I find purses from time to time. Wallets even. Never any ID's or CC's or anything, but often there is change or jewelry or even gift cards with balances!! People are crazy.
Not so much crazy just lazy & tired & bored.

A lot of times, If there's a lot of not free stuff, I'll start putting them with the whole free pile, then ask them how much for this whole thing? A lot of times they'll ask you want these too? And ask for next to nothing for the pile.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only seen one garage sale with free items. After looking at them I knew why they were free. Guess they just could not bring themselves to putting the stuff in the trash.

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cassettes that are new and sealed are a great way to enhance profit taking at garage sales. I pick up a number of them every year.:icon_king:

Not trying to hijack the thread but are there particular brands/types that are worth more than others? I see them from time to time but don't know if they're worth taking the chance on. Thanks.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to hijack the thread but are there particular brands/types that are worth more than others? I see them from time to time but don't know if they're worth taking the chance on. Thanks.

Metal cassettes do very well. I've only found a few of them out in the wild though.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In honor of this thread we are having a yard sale in three weeks. I will make sure to do a free pile. And maybe someone will write about it and put it on here. However my sale will start later than everyone else's because I live in a community and I'll be danged if anyone goes to any of the sales before me in the neighborhood that I live in! Haha. The gates open at eight I have an hour and a half before hand to clean house. My dad is in town so he can help set up for everything which we will mainly do on tables the night before. But I plan on having a free box. It may be full of 400 kid toys... and some costume jewelry..

Ha ha I'm just being silly.

I never found anything in a free box that I actually got for free. I guess I never look in them or I don't notice them because I'm always going for jewelry first so I walk right by that stuff. We were helping a friend out and she had a box of free stuff full of rosaries. I pulled out a 10K 9 g pendant and paid her $70. Someone would have been happy. I had to ruin it for them. But they really needed the money so it wasn't worth it to me to screw them out of some cash. Especially when that's why I was called in to help them take a second look and give another eye to what they were selling...

The cassettes I've never heard of. Will check into that though. Thanks Y'all!

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in the free box? Hell I'll grab all the free stuff. It either goes into a box for my next auction/yard sale, into a scrap bin or I take it to Goodwill and donate it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought many cassettes but only if they still have the original plastic wrap on them. Also master packages sell too (10 or 12 in a big plastic wrap) I also buy old film, even outdated boxes, but the box has to be sealed.

When I list the film I ALWAYS give the expire date and say something like "outdated NO REFUNDS" I have never had a complaint or refund request.

These do sell but sometimes it takes a while. I know this is a free in the box topic. I have found cassettes in the free box but most of the time I get at a good price.

What I look for a grab all that I can in the free box are lightbulbs. I do not like these new $5 bulbs the light color is off and sometimes they are taller and stick out the top of a couple of my floor lamps.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread