Thrift Store and Garage Sale Book Finds

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Couldn't get interested in the video ... I'd rather see an actual picture of the books/cds as a screenshot of the phone/app is pretty boring.

Just a suggestion.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't get interested in the video ... I'd rather see an actual picture of the books/cds as a screenshot of the phone/app is pretty boring.

Just a suggestion.

I usually ignore videos as well.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell my friends who garage sale with me, Books pay the bills, Everything else fills the bank. The best thing about books is that most people are happy to get rid of them for $1 each, maybe less. Even professionally run estate sales, I rarely have to pay more than $1 or $2 for a great book. They are easy to store, easy to find, and easy to ship. I bring home 5 to 10 every week. I sell 5 to 10 every week too.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• TOLSTOY.jpg
    TOLSTOY.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 94

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always pick up Tolstoy, easy sell most of the time. Good find.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More view and sub jockeying I see. Why don't you stick around and have a discussion about it? Maybe post some pictures? Some actual success stories. What to look for specifically? Be a part of the community--and stock smacking your lips on your voice-overs! If you're going to do audio only, make it a nice clean read my friend!

Treat this as some tough love from a fellow picker.

Good luck out there.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No time for a video production here also. I don't do books so much, but once I was looking around a flea market and I put my hand on a book sitting on a table to support myself to look at something under the table. When I pushed myself back up I looked at the book I had my hand on and saw it was titled "The Smashers" The Smashers by C. W Anderson - Hardcover - No Edition Stated - 1954 - from The Bookbums at Ish Kabibble Books and Biblio.com I flipped through the book and saw it was a bio of racehorses. One horse in the book was Seabiscut. The movie was recently out and being the book was only $2.00 I thought why not see what it goes for on eBay? I got a little over 80 buck out of it. I have bought old pre-1930s, industrial parts and equipment catalogs before as those seem to have value to collectors.

Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Books have never been my strong point but i'm more then happy to take a chance when i see something that looks "good". I guess what turns me away from books is people using their iphone readers and just blindly scan them until they get the correct sound and have a "winner" I know plenty of die hard "book guys" that go by Author, Title, Edition, Condition, Etc... but many are just bookshelf savages working in a frenzy.

My best finds were always a surprise and a chance. I remember digging in a garage at a fantastic sale (the Jaeger Le Coulture "Atmos" clock was only 50.00 and the cast iron banks were 5.00 each and not reproductions) and came across a stack of books in a cupboard. The covers looked great and titles seemed interesting so i bought them. I dont remember the title but one was about a japanese warrior prince and it sold for 75.00. The rest sold for about 30-50.00 each.

The other time i did good on books was a sale not far from my house. The guy was a serious gun enthusiast/reloader and had the library to match. I found some huge hardbound books on Colt/Winchester by R.L. Wilson, Herbert Houze, Ned Schwing and others. Most were signed and in excellent shape. I think the best price i got was 275.00 for a signed "The Winchester Model 52: Perfection in Design" by Herbert Houze

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a book about 12 cylinder engines for cars. Bought it for $1, sold it for $149.99. Bought a book on how to paint art that sells. Paid $1, Sold for $129.99. My father gave me a book of his on Netsuke signatures. He asked me to sell it for him. I paid Nothing, I've got it listed for $349.99. I've had a few nibbles, but no bites.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a book I bought at my local library book store for $1.00 (they set the price)
I believe it is a first edition but can not find any photo and info on this book.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/count-tolstoy-war-between-russia-japan/

I knew the name and liked the price.

A used book store gave me this website URL: www.addall.com

I looked up my book and it found the same book in my post above. I am sure it will help find other books as well.

Can't beat a $1 book valued at $124

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread