Vintage Molded Plastic Go Kart Body

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Presidents Day everyone! Picked up a vintage molded plastic go kart body the other day from a guy that responded to an ad I posted that basically says I buy things. He was selling some stuff that had belonged to his girlfriend's parents. This kart body was in the back of the barn underneath some things. And boy is it a heavy bugger. It takes two people to carry comfortably, which leads me to believe it wasn't exactly built for speed, despite the racer appearance. It's heavy molded plastic, not fiberglass. Almost like the molded plastic used on kid's Little Tikes toys, but on steroids. :DIt measures approximately 6' x 3'. Just the body is here - no mechanicals are present. I'm guessing this is from the mid-1980's, just based on the bulk of stuff in this guy's barn that I was able to accurately date. Only marking I can find on it is under the spoiler. It says 'Made in Canada' along with a part number. I haven't seen another kart body like this and doubt there are many still around. Anyone on the forums know much about this stuff?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487619845.255776.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487619856.786444.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487619868.170596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487619881.921977.jpg

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess it was manufactured for amusement parks, or commercial go kart tracks.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback all. I'm going to reach out to the Toronto Karting site as well as some other karting forums I've found online. I do tend to agree with you Gib that it was a workhorse for a park somewhere - definitely built for durability over speed.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bat mobile!

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MotherOfGeeks, I agree, but it has all the telltale rubbing around the wheel wells etc. I think it was actually used on a track. Maybe at an amusement park, like Gib suggested.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488121177.718727.jpg
:D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread