Wishful thinking... Who thinks this is a diamond?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this earlier this week for next to nothing so what the heck. I think it probably is completely fake but there is nothing to lose! Some interesting things to note, the stone scratched a glass bowl, there isn't a single scratch anywhere on the stone and the band has several scratches, also I scratched the band and it's all yellow past the white plating. IF this is a diamond the thing is massive... 1 carat or so hahah which leads me to believe fakeee. There are no markings on the band except for what I posted below. Let me know what you guys think!! Oh also, the ring is quite dirty in the picture it's not inside the stone or anything.
20170221_192811.jpg 20170221_192850.jpg 20170221_192911.jpg 20170221_192931_resized.jpg 20170221_192957.jpg 20170221_193016_resized.jpg

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go with wishful thinking that it's real. It's nearly impossible to tell from the pictures I think. I would definitely take it somewhere and have it checked if you don't have a diamond tester. And then I would take it somewhere else to have it checked again.

If it helps I bought a pendant for $40 and I thought It had a fake diamond. Turned out to be a one and a half carat solitaire.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White gold isn't plated yellow gold, the color is altered by alloying with different metals so the color is consistent throughout the piece. I am sorry to say that I don't think this is real :/

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with wishful thinking but that is NOT a diamond. Everything is wrong about it. The cut is wrong. The side stones don't even have open backs. The setting is non precious metal, very poor quality. Anything harder than glass will scratch glass even some glass will scratch glass.

White gold is usually has a yellowish color so it is plated in rhodium to look white. So technically most white gold is "plated".

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No chance. The crude mount is a clear give away

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found its always better to assume to worst and always be pleasantly surprised when the stone turns out to be real. I've picked up about 5 sings, all solitaires, that have turned out to be glass/CZ. Some were in GF bands, others in 14k. hopefully it will turn out to be real. Good luck!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like an old wedding ring of my grans, but I suspect it's fake.

Looks good though.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm by no means an expert but here's a couple of things you can try look at the girdle is it polished or not if it's polished it's a good chance it's cz if not more indication it might be a diamond clean the ring real good and hold it to your mouth and blow hot air on it pull it away as fast as you can to see if you see a fog over the stone if not it's another indication it might be a diamond because diamonds can exhort heat very well this test are not 100%

Last edited:

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
In my limited experience, the break-point for diamond authenticity seems to be at 14K.
If the setting is 14K, chances are about 75% that the stone is legit.
^
18K or better is about a 90% chance.
^
Below 14k, and even with Sterling, chances are less than 25% that you will find a diamond....and I mean very much less.
^
Chances seem to be better than that concerning watches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread