Where to sell or find a buyer for bulk ultra fine stainless steel wire?

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I stumbled on some brand new unopened labeled .002" 304 stainless steel wire rolls. I paid scrap value for them but it appears retail is WAY WAY WAY higher. I've gotten quotes of $.16-.42/ft if I was buying it direct from the manufacturer. Each roll has almost 160000'. That's not a typo, 30 miles of wire per roll. At the low end of $.16/ft that's $25k per roll!

My problem is where would I sell that much for even a fraction of the retail price? I'm hoping to lean on the vast experience here to come up with some good ideas. My preliminary research points to automotive, medical and textile uses since it's so thin. Drinks are on me if I can move the bulk of this stuff. 😀

Apologies if this isn't the best section to post this, but given how I found it I thought it relevant. I'm happy to move it if there's a better spot.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score silvernd! I saw on the other thread that you paid $1 per roll, so you really can't go wrong at that price. McMaster-Carr sells a 5,795 foot spool of .002 stainless steel wire for $88.84. If you figure you have the equivalent of about 27-1/2 of those spools on one of your rolls, the price works out to around $2750.00 per roll. I'm assuming it's heavy, so I think I'd post it on Craigslist, or the Offerup or Letgo apps in your area. Or, for greater exposure, try listing it on eBay and select 'Local Pickup Only' under shipping options. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
With as thin as it is, it's actually under 2 lbs per roll. Never thought I'd find 30 miles of anything that weighed so little.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is surprising to hear it weighs so little. I think I'd throw it on eBay then, for US shipping if its not too bulky, or local pickup if it is. I saw some Google sites to do with e-cigs and vaping that talk about using thin stainless steel wire for some reason, probably for custom builds for e-cigarettes.

http://www.thevapersden.com/index.php?topic=11462.0

https://www.mister-e-liquid.com/vapowire-stainless-steel-wire-30ft-spool/

You'll have to do a little research on it, but that may be another avenue for you to market it, or at least use "e-cig" or "vaporizer" as keywords in your eBay listing.

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Iceman. The McMaster info was definitely helpful. Amazing that the call to quote type places were so much higher. Even at $2500/roll though I'm pretty happy with this score. Wonder if I can get $1k per roll.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auction one roll to get low end of market, then add 20% and make the rest BIN.

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Got it from an old textile mill so they were using it in clothing somehow. Non implantable medical devices use it apparently. Also has automobile uses. I figure I'm out of luck selling it for medical or auto manufacturer uses.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

silvernd