IMG_20170302_184651.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 109

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a heck of a deal! Do you have any idea of age? Again, well done!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a heck of a deal! Do you have any idea of age? Again, well done!
I'm not sure? I'm thinking no later than the1920's. They only have these purity stamps. Stylistically they look late Victorian to me, but it's hard to say being they have no date marks. I'm pretty sure the price would have been higher if they had the word sterling on them.

On another note, I couldn't focus my loop on the tiny little mark that was deep on the funnel shape base. What I did was take it into better light by a window and focused the smartphone cam on the mark and then enlarged the photo in order to view the mark that is about 2mm square in size. That's good technique to use when you can't get a magnifier close enough to focus on something or don't have a loop on hand.

Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure? I'm thinking no later than the1920's. They only have these purity stamps. Stylistically they look late Victorian to me, but it's hard to say being they have no date marks. I'm pretty sure the price would have been higher if they had the word sterling on them.

On another note, I couldn't focus my loop on the tiny little mark that was deep on the funnel shape base. What I did was take it into better light by a window and focused the smartphone cam on the mark and then enlarged the photo in order to view the mark that is about 2mm square in size. That's good technique to use when you can't get a magnifier close enough to focus on something or don't have a loop on hand.

I've done the smartphone cam trick a few times. It's a good move, especially when you don't want to pull the loop out in front of people or sellers.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got home and put em on the scale and together they come out to 354.4 grams of 83.3% silver. After looking them over I'm thinking the base on each was replaced at some time. They just don't seem to match the style of the upper part or so it seems to me?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread