May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was heading over to an estate sale and passed a sign for a yard sale so I turned around and pulled in. I found this pair of candlesticks for five dollars. Found the Mark 830S. It appears to be the German mark of Gebrüder Deyhle. Each one weighs 1.25 pounds and they are hollow with a center iron spike I believe. I'm not sure of the total silver weight without the spike but I am sure it is at least 30 Troy ounces. View attachment 1422590 View attachment 1422591 View attachment 1422589

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon man you know how to post photos the right way. I want to those candlesticks.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this photo work better? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488770959.540274.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long ago I found in an antique shop a cream & sugar set with a little tray also from the same German maker. I gave I think $26. for it and got $98. out of it from a buyer in Russia. I was kind of disappointed, because I felt it should have done better, but I think buyers were a little reluctant to buy the alloy silver in those days over sterling. Nice find :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be willing to bet it is weighted. That huge base is certainly not hollow, nor is it solid silver...

Nope they are hollow as can be. I've never seen anything like it before. It's like the whole thing is molded and there's like an iron spike in the middle. You can hear echo with a tap on most areas of the candlestick.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope they are hollow as can be. I've never seen anything like it before. It's like the whole thing is molded and there's like an iron spike in the middle. You can hear echo with a tap on most areas of the candlestick.

"and there's like an iron spike in the middle."

Jim, will a super magnet stick to the outside anywhere on the "molding? Or are you referring to the intense weight as if it has "an iron spike" inside it? Could it be that the castings have impurities in the metal?

The reason I asked the last question is what happened to me with a brass fireplace set I once found. The casting was of a tree with rifles leaned against it and a curled up dog laying at the foot of the tree. I paid $10 for the cast base and ornate vertical back casting. When I got home I saw the underside and that the cast dog was held down with a steel screw that had a Philips head screw. I was testing the off color screw with a strong magnet taken from an old Microwave oven. But to my surprise, everywhere I checked, the magnet stuck. It wasn't brass plated as I verified it with a hacksaw blade kerf at several points on the open webbing spaces between the rifle and the tree or where vines came out and back to the main casting. It was solid brass..... Since it was an Asian reproduction of an old English original, the furnace crucible must have been used for melting no telling what else and the brass used had so much impurities in the metal the magnet stuck what appeared to be "brass"....

Hope you can find out more about those unique silver candle holders.

Bill

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That photo does make it look like it was cast, like a ring or statue would be cast with molten metal.

Most candlesticks are basically made with something like heavy duty aluminum foil (only silver) and then stamped out, reinforced with metal rods or spikes and then filled with some kind of heavy plaster.

On "weighted" silver pieces you will only get about 10% silver value if you breakdown.

Like mentioned above take a good magnet and test all areas. To me, if it was cast, there should not be a need any steel supports.

Can you show a good closeup of the base?

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That photo does make it look like it was cast, like a ring or statue would be cast with molten metal.

Most candlesticks are basically made with something like heavy duty aluminum foil (only silver) and then stamped out, reinforced with metal rods or spikes and then filled with some kind of heavy plaster.

On "weighted" silver pieces you will only get about 10% silver value if you breakdown.

Like mentioned above take a good magnet and test all areas. To me, if it was cast, there should not be a need any steel supports.

Can you show a good closeup of the base?
Folks it is Not Weighted. It is hollow! Trust me. I might try to unbolt one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread