May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a few more estate sales on Sunday and did great. Got some great watches for $10, working Benrus 25j Automatic and a 1940's Perfecta with a Libela movement. I also got a National Semi Conductor watch which I need to get a battery for. Note the watches have new straps and have been cleaned and new crystal placed on the Perfecta. I also got a cool Bell System mechanical pencil and Schaefer fountain pen. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488771399.571382.jpg . Got this 3 ozt Sterling bowl for $1.50. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488771493.899983.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488771510.109669.jpg I also got a bunch is Sterling jewelry for $1 each.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488771546.163095.jpg About 40g of gold filled.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488771561.822054.jpg a cool Falstaff beer stein. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488771714.562440.jpg and my favorite find this hand painted Mickey Mouse pin marked "Spain". ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488771632.571104.jpg I had a blast this weekend!

Last edited:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing that much is left a day later.... :icon_thumleft:

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul! I can't tell from the pic whether the Sheaffer pen has the military clip...that would be a double clip (on two sides, one clip shorter than the other). But I love fountain pens!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul! I can't tell from the pic whether the Sheaffer pen has the military clip...that would be a double clip (on two sides, one clip shorter than the other). But I love fountain pens!

It does not. The clip is just short. I was hoping for s gold nib but it is not marked. This model has a pull out end for pumping ink in. It is quite rusty so I don't think the pen will work. Found it in a box of 100 or so pens for $1.50 that my mom actually bought.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not. The clip is just short. I was hoping for s gold nib but it is not marked. This model has a pull out end for pumping ink in. It is quite rusty so I don't think the pen will work. Found it in a box of 100 or so pens for $1.50 that my mom actually bought.

I'd love to see a pic of the nib. The filling system you describe is either a Vac-fill or a Touchdown. The metal Touchdown 'tube' is much thicker than the one on the Vac, but if the tube is stuck, don't force it.

By now, the pen will need repair to work, but usually these things can be fixed (we just started doing fountain pen repairs ourselves.)

Ooo...that might be a Tuckaway model....hard to tell from the photo...

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to see a pic of the nib. The filling system you describe is either a Vac-fill or a Touchdown. The metal Touchdown 'tube' is much thicker than the one on the Vac, but if the tube is stuck, don't force it.

By now, the pen will need repair to work, but usually these things can be fixed (we just started doing fountain pen repairs ourselves.)

Ooo...that might be a Tuckaway model....hard to tell from the photo...

Based on you comments I looked up the different models and it is indeed a tuckaway model. The back tip unscrews and you pull out. It also appears to be a 1940's Military clip version and the color is "Golden Brown. The metal bar is either rusted or covered with dried ink. I'll send pix when I get home. What is the deal with Tuckaways?

Last edited:

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on you comments I looked up the different models and it is indeed a tuckaway model. The back tip unscrews and you pull out. It also appears to be a 1940's Military clip version and the color is "Golden Brown. The metal bar is either rusted or covered with dried ink. I'll send pix when I get home. What is the deal with Tuckaways?

Tuckaways were meant to be 'tucked away' in a pocket or purse, hence the small size. Some people like them...including me. ;)

I bet it's a Vac. A bit tougher to restore, but not impossible.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuckaways were meant to be 'tucked away' in a pocket or purse, hence the small size. Some people like them...including me. ;)

I bet it's a Vac. A bit tougher to restore, but not impossible.

It is 5" long. See new photos. It appears to be marked 500 so I believe it to be a Balance 500 with Military Clip, vac-Fil, 14kt two tone Feather Touch #5 nib. What do you think? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488848348.581627.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488848359.204794.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488848368.042245.jpg

Last edited:

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, definitely a Vac-filler, and one that will need restoration. But it's NOT a Tuckaway; the 5-inch length indicates that it's a Feather Touch (also says so right on the nib). What's interesting about this model is the military clip! Sometimes it's tough to ID these vintage fountain pens.

In excellent condition, this could fetch a decent price:

Here's one on fleabay...

Here's another...

PS: Just realized, I have one of these, same clip, different finish and filling system. We THINK our model is a Defender.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, definitely a Vac-filler, and one that will need restoration. But it's NOT a Tuckaway; the 5-inch length indicates that it's a Feather Touch (also says so right on the nib). What's interesting about this model is the military clip! Sometimes it's tough to ID these vintage fountain pens.

In excellent condition, this could fetch a decent price:

Here's one on fleabay...

Here's another...

PS: Just realized, I have one of these, same clip, different finish and filling system. We THINK our model is a Defender.

Yep it was definitely a lesson for me. It looks like I can get it restored for $50 although I see one as low as $33 on his site says it could be several months. I think I'm going to pull the trigger because I found it and think it should be saved.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep it was definitely a lesson for me. It looks like I can get it restored for $50 although I see one as low as $33 on his site says it could be several months. I think I'm going to pull the trigger because I found it and think it should be saved.

It should! The pattern's really nice. I think $50 is reasonable, and if you don't mind letting me know (PM if you feel better this way) whose restoration service you chose, I might have heard of him.

Were there any more fountain pens in the lot? I could possibly be able to ID them. Thanks for the opportunity to teach myself a little more about these vintage Sheaffers.

(The Mickey Mouse pin's really cute, too)!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should! The pattern's really nice. I think $50 is reasonable, and if you don't mind letting me know (PM if you feel better this way) whose restoration service you chose, I might have heard of him.

Were there any more fountain pens in the lot? I could possibly be able to ID them. Thanks for the opportunity to teach myself a little more about these vintage Sheaffers.

(The Mickey Mouse pin's really cute, too)!

I am using Aaron at Pentiques. I liked the guy in Georgia but his site makes it sound like his repairs are 6 months out. Actually this was the only antique pen in the whole lot. Every other one was modern junk. Do you know if the nib is 14 karat gold even though it's not marked? I also polished the metal ring and the clip and they all polished to a gold color. No markings but they look gold. Thoughts?

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using Aaron at Pentiques. I liked the guy in Georgia but his site makes it sound like his repairs are 6 months out. Actually this was the only antique pen in the whole lot. Every other one was modern junk. Do you know if the nib is 14 karat gold even though it's not marked? I also polished the metal ring and the clip and they all polished to a gold color. No markings but they look gold. Thoughts?

It might be gold, I'm trying to figure this one out. A quote about the nibs from Richard Binder's site:

"Sheaffer’s trademarked name for the duo-point nibs that it began using for non-Lifetime pens in about 1931 (illustrated to the right). Feathertouch nibs were generally two-tone in appearance, with the slit walls and upper surface of the tines attractively platinum plated. The slit-wall plating was a feature claimed to improve ink flow (U.S. Patent No 1,869,950). These nibs were essentially the same as those in Lifetime pens except for the imprint and, on some lower-priced pen models, the absence of platinum plating. See also duo-point, nib number."

But that doesn't cover the clip...I may have to edit this....another source, Penspotters, says, "Gold-filled bands, clips (and levers)..."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread