Garage Sales vs. Thrift Stores

pjdentry

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first time posting. I've been lurking for a bit and I love to see what everyone finds and thought I'd share.

The girlfriend wanted me out of the house for a couple of hours so she could watch her show and I was glad to oblige her. The weather was gorgeous this weekend, so I drove from thrift store to thrift store, and hit the yard sales in between.

I think I found a couple of nice things.

From the rummage sales I pulled:
$1 Sterling Handled Brush
$1 925 Mexican Belt Buckle
$.25 Gold Filled Heart Pendant
$1 Wine Tasting Cup
$1 Small Plate
$1 Kenneth Cole Sunglasses (not shown)

For the wine tasting cup and the plate, they are both hallmarked (which don't photograph too well) with no actual text on either of them. Neither are magnetic. With the wine tasting cup, one of the two hallmarks is an S, which made me feel a little better. Finding the buckle and the brush there made me a little more daring to take a risk than I normally am. The plate has three hallmarks (the middle looks like a crown), which I've tried to photo. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

For the thrift shops:
$.25 x 3 WEB Sterling Handled Tableware
$.69 FFA Future Farmers of America Tie Tack (I'm a sucker for these sorts of things)
$.69 Some sort of metal military Pin (I usually just throw these into box until I have a lot to sell)

Anyways, I hope this whets the appetite of some of the folks still experiencing colder weather!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 124

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are pseudo marks on the plate, it is plated. I can't say on the other pieces without better pics. The buckle will more than pay for all your purchases though. See if you can figure out the silversmith who made it, some of the Mexican silver is quite collectible.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds!! I think the buckle is the star of the show! Well done!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did great on your first outing. But You might want to check your sink for two glasses instead of one. wink wink. I highly recommend you learn the silver hallmarks to look for because the pseudo hallmarks can be very misleading. Go to Www.925-1000.com and go to the world hallmarks section and review it extensively. It will save you the trouble from buying a lot of silver plate. We all can vouch for that from experience!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreaureNet...

Looks like some cool scores... keep it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread