Orlando vintage "lost" my items! What would you do?

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored what I thought was an authentic Chanel purse, but since I was not 100% sure, I decided to take it, along with a Dooney & Burke purse, a Hostess dress from the 60's, and finally a 60's poster to Orlando Vintage. I learned about this little whole in the wall store via some Google searches. The Orlando Sentinel had written an article about them, and how TV companies would buy attire from them for their shows/movies. They sell vintage clothing, jewelry, hats, ties, etc. When I took my items there, the young girl took inventory of my items, and I was given a receipt. I was told that the owner would call me if interested. I week later I get a call, and I'm told that owner had passed on my items. I informed the girl that I would pass by there on Sat to pick up my things. When I get there, the girl hands me the poster, but then claims that she cannot find the bag with my other things. She goes to the small back room, "looks" for it, and comes empty handed. She tells me that the other girl that works there must have moved them. She pretends to call her co-worker, but she never picks up. I advised her to take a few days to find it, and to call me.

finally a week passes, and I called them. The girl continues to stick with her story that they cannot find it. She claims that it must have been misplaced during a move in progress. I let her know that I need the items, and that she can take a few more days to look for them. A week passes and she calls me, tells me no luck, and proceeds to offer me $20. I asked her if she thought that I was a hobo, starving, or a crack head. This last part really annoyed the heck out of me, and I tell her to take a few more days, and that my items have to be found.

Today I spoke withe owner, and she also claims lost. I told her there are only three employees there, in a small hole in the wall, and that my items better appear. She says, they will not because they are lost, and I end the conversation with the threat of going to the police, better business bureau, and finally social media.

To me, they are playing some type of game. I'm thinking that other people take their things to sell, they then indicate not interested in the hopes of the owners just asking them to keep the things. if they receive push back like what I gave them, they then claim lost.

What would you do?

Here is the Chanel

Thanks to all

artslinger Chanel9.jpg Chanel10.jpg Chanel7.jpg

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me: They just bought them at the current market value if they don't want the police and courts involved. Still have your receipt? Attorney friend to send a nastygram on his letterhead to get them out of neutral and into gear? Be sure to send certified mail with signature receipt.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have pictures, and you have a receipt. File a small claims case.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd send Jason Statham over there to have a "chat" with them.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Don't let them get away with it. Find current market value, get a lawyer to write a letter to them (probably $75) and demand market value plus time and expenses for however many trips you've made plus attorney fees and add the promise that they will be responsible for any future expenses and court fees if they drag it on. If you let it slide, they will scam the next guy too.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the small claims court process. A letter from an attorney will rattle them back to reality! Good luck!

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Before lawyering up and threatening, wouldn't you simply find the market value of the items and request that amount? They lost your items, you have a receipt and they've admitted fault. Tell them an amount and see what happens. If they don't pay up, THEN lawyer up.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would find the market value, send a demand letter for reimbursement via return receipt requested mail and give them 10 days to respond. But first I would go to the shop again and request in person for the items back or money. When given the same story, call the police THEN while at the store. Get a police report as well. The PD may try and convince them to refund your money while there. If all else fails, Small Claims. The judge will see you have tried everything to resolve the issue and they had done nothing.
It was their responsibility to protect your stuff. It is appearant that the didn't even exercise 'ordinary care' while holding you stuff. Does the receipt limit anything?

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baseball bat!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would anyone need an attorney for a small claims case? A demand letter doesn't need to be in legalese.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....not to mention but in Florida, it's very unlikely you'd get your attorney's fees back. Write a demand letter, indicating they have X period of time to return your items, or compensate you for the FMV of said items, or you will see them in small claims.

Simple.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The previous posters have given many good suggestions on how to handle this. Regardless of the outcome I think a valuable lesson was learned. Never let potentially valuable items leave your possession with someone you don't know and trust. Also since you don't know if they were genuine and have no original purchase receipt...how can you prove the market value?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any outcome yet? Now a days many companies are on facebook. Hint you will barrage their page with the truth. Tell potential clients to watch their backs in dealing with them.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a variety of options at this point in which you can resolve this.

You are more then welcome to go after them on social media but what happens if it wasn't real and was lost? The stitching on the left "C" is somewhat crooked which would be a red flag when looking it over. They still need to compensate you but a thrashing might be a bit too far.

It's also possible that it was real and some employee just "had" to have it. They came up with a dismissive "it's fake" claim then said it was lost with the hope of you taking the 20.00 and walking. If you were sneaky, you could follow them on social media and wait for them to post a picture out with their (your) bag. Then you have them in a tight spot that the law would be interested in, especially considering the value of vintage Chanel purses. With the prevalence of social media, young women can't help themselves show off every new item they buy. That purse is pretty distinct, right down the the stitching on the left "C".

If you have a yourger female relative, maybe have them follow them on facebook, instagram and whatever other social media they use. Keep an eye out and see what happens. If you hammer them too hard right now, it's possible they toss or dump the purse.

If it was real and was stolen, they need to learn a quick but lasting lesson on theft. Ask them if they would mind if you helped yourself to 1000.00 out of the register, or better yet, their own wallet. Good luck with your items being returned. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

You might want to check craigslist or other local avenues of selling. It's possible they are now attempting to dump it outside of the store.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all that have responded with recommendations/suggestions. I'm definitely not a mean spirited person. I have given them more than enough time to find my things (almost a month). The last conversation I had with the owner, she blatantly stated that they were lost, and they were not going to be found. That's when I made the social media threat! My plan is to contact a layer just to send the letter, if that doesn't work, I will be filing a small claims case.

I definitely did have my doubts about the Vuitton handbag being authentic, but I was 100% confident that the Dooney And Burke was. Regardless if the Vuitton was original or not, this scenario should never be repeated, and hopefully my case will help put a stop to it.

Thanks to all once again, and I will keep you posted.

atslinger

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any outcome yet? Now a days many companies are on facebook. Hint you will barrage their page with the truth. Tell potential clients to watch their backs in dealing with them.

While you're doing that have the wife or daughter or other female post wanted for reasonable price ads on the web sites this shop advertises on and craigs list. If they are dumb enough to respond with your property have PD go with to witness the transaction. If placing signs & posters isn't illegal where you are Place several close to the store. Stating last seen at (the store) reward if found. You said production companies etc frequent the store. Find out who. Write to all of them! Explain the store "lost your items" and you were wondering if they might have inadvertently picked them up. You just want to check before getting PD involved. If these companies get worried they've bought stolen property or property that wasn't rightly the stores, they might start buying props elsewhere. Hit them where it makes an impression! The pocket book!

Sorry! Forgot. Before you do all the above call your PD, ask to talk to a detective in burglary or fraud. In some areas especially pawn shops they have to fill out a card with all your info & descriptions of what you sold or pawned and turn it over to the PD. Some jurisdictions apply this to second hand shops & jewelers. So if they require it and the shop hasn't been complying that'd be a good thing to throw up. "If I don't receive my property or fair compensation in 5 working days, I'm gonna drop by to talk to the detectives. Hmmmm..... I wonder what the fines would be or if they'd just pull your business license?

Last edited:
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I was at work today, and I got a call from the shop. The girl proceeds to tell me that they had just file a report for theft. She claimed that during their recent move, the moving company stole some of their property, a Louis Vuitton purse amongst other things. And,(conveniently), they included my items as part of the theft. She gave me the detective's name. I called him, explain what had happened, and what I really thought happened, and he agreed with me that their report was way too close in timing from the time that I had told them that I was going to call the authorities. He didn't buy their BS story, but he was in the process of the investigation. He noted that I could still file a small claims, since they should have been responsible for my things. I have scheduled an interview with him, as he wants to have my statement in writing.

Unreal. It is so obvious what they are trying to do, which is cover themselves if in the event I filed a police report.

Thanks again to all

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Orlando vintage "lost" my items! What would you do?

So this works out in your favor. Since they are going with a heft claim...I'd file for the $1600-$3000 that that used Chanel bag would bring if they had sold it. I say $1600 because the last one I saw similar in a Clothes Mentor store was for that amount and it was smaller. Whether it was authentic or not is NOT he issue. It was authentic when you dropped it off for consignment or sale. And I mean a claim against their insurance since that is where they are taking this. Owner's business insurance or homeowners...matters not to you. The insurance company can sort it all out with the police and owner. And if they rule against her...small claims court.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread