Where to Sell Fountain Pens?

WatchCollector56

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,
I just acquired around 70 nice vintage fountain pens from brands like Waterman, Parker, Schaeffer, etc. I know eBay is a decent option but I was wondering if there are ways to reach collectors directly to get better prices or at least avoid eBay fees. I am a vintage watch collector so I am not well versed in the vintage pen market. I appreciate the help!
Best,
Henri

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a pen person specifically, but I will say that unless you somehow find a super motivated pen collector who is willing to deal in cash, realistically ebay is your best (and in my opinion a pretty great) option. When the day is done you'll pay about 15% in fees to show off your item to hundreds of thousands across the globe, which is less than you'd pay to have them auctioned to a smaller audience. I'd say just go with ebay, but someone may chime in with an exclusive pen selling site.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went on Google, and typed in "where to buy vintage fountain pens" and got a fountain of hits! Good Luck! :occasion14:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had great luck selling on collectible-specific forums/websites. It's my first choice. Just find where collectors hang out on the web. Many people don't do ebay.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started collecting these! I buy whenever I can at a reasonable price. Make sure to check all the nibs for gold and separate those. Don't scrap them, they're just worth a bit more than the rest. The most visited fountain pen website is this The Fountain Pen Network If anyone would want to buy or know of where you could sell other than eBay they'd know. But eBay is still probably your best bet....

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a Parker 51 up on eBay a couple weeks ago and it was bid up to $81.00. I never received payment from the high bidder who was from China. I left a 2nd chance offer to the next high bidder and got no reply from that guy either. I'm going to try it again here soon. I don't know why but it seems I'm getting an increase of non-payment bidders on eBay lately. Not sure where it's best to sell your pens, but I'm going to keep plugging along with eBay with most everything I've got to offer.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,
I just acquired around 70 nice vintage fountain pens from brands like Waterman, Parker, Schaeffer, etc. I know eBay is a decent option but I was wondering if there are ways to reach collectors directly to get better prices or at least avoid eBay fees. I am a vintage watch collector so I am not well versed in the vintage pen market. I appreciate the help!
Best,
Henri

I know of a few people who will buy entire collections if the condition is good enough. But in the rarest models, condition can sometimes be secondary.

I know a little bit about vintage pens. Selling them on fleabay as a group won't get you the best price. Selling them individually will take a long time. There's definitely a market for this, but it can be tricky. If you live anywhere near where they have annual fountain pen shows, that would be a great place. The collection buyers will be there, and so will the experts.

I, too, would love to see pics. I might be able to ID one or two. And take any complete junkers off your hands to practice my restoration skills. :)

OP
OP
W

WatchCollector56

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for all the advice. I have attached some pictures of some of the pens for you guys to see. I will attach the rest later. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 78

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My eyes popped! What a find.

I think I can see a few I know off the bat, like a Sheaffer Tuckaway...(bottom left pic, upper right corner), some Parkers, including what's probably a couple of Duofold and a pair of Juniors (red/black, mismatch in the barrel and cap), but can't make out the name on the clip of the three on the bottom right.

I'm drooling, wish I could afford to buy the lot from you!

To get top dollar, you'll need clear, close-up pics so a potential buyer can see the clip and the nib, you also need to state the maker, and a good assessment of condition. With pens like these, buyers will expect to have to get them restored.

If there's a pen club or show near you, as I said, it might be your best bet for selling as a lot.

Does the Tuckaway have a cap? Hope this helps some. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good...some of these are in rough shape, but leave them as is.

I can't ID everything, but I see a couple of Parker 45s, which can go from $20-$40 each; a Parker 61 that looks niiice, a couple of either 51s or 21s (might fetch more than the 45s depending on model/condition). Parker Ringtops! Not sure of their value, but people like them. Parker Vacuumatics: one has a bent nib. The Parker pencils look good from here.

An Eversharp Skyline, very popular pen. Esterbrooks, more commonplace. And of course the Sheaffers.

Have you looked at Sold listings of fleabay? Thanks for the pics, and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread