Large Men's Tobacco Pipe Buy, How Did I Do?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one sale yesterday that ticked off nearly all of my "die trying to get there" sales so off I went and ended up helping the people unpack their garage, shopping in each box as I hauled them out.

The pipes were not part of the sale but another friend of the person holding the sale was allowed to look at them. Once he started, I was allowed to join and pulled out what you see pictured.

Pipes are not my area of expertise, I only know dunhill, but this guy had spent money on his pipes! All were professionally cleaned, polished and ready to smoke by a local pipe store/retailer.

I found 2 dunhills on my first pass and the rest were just purchased by appearance/features.

From top to bottom, left to right:

Ben Wade Unicorn Fawn Denmark
Dunhill Brotere 47
Carlo Scotti "Castello" K31 Italy
Sterncrest Imported Briar 14k band
Peterson Dublin with Sterling Band
Dunhill "Shell Briar"

I have yet to look them up but are these pipes, asides from the Dunhills collectible? Their condition is excellent with minor burns to the bowl. The Ben wade is the cleanest as for condition I also think it looks the neatest

Attachments

• IMG_2429.JPG
    IMG_2429.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2428.JPG
    IMG_2428.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2427.JPG
    IMG_2427.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2426.JPG
    IMG_2426.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 106

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help you on the pipe values but I'd say you did pretty good as long as the price was right. We all know the less you spend the more you make. What drew me to your thread was the title. I thought you purchased a "really large pipe" as in literally, lol.

56f84658eedfc7a2da615db563349542.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I see an old pipe for sale I just research the sold ones on eBay. Dunhill will always sell well. A few other makers from London also do good. Pipes made in Denmark are another one to consider. Also one made in Italy I've noted is one that seems to sell pretty good. Look into the pipe smokers websites. There you'll find useful information. Condition is one thing, but the way the grain of the wood is also has something to do in what pipe people look for. From what I see you discovered they all look like what I'd be considering on buying to resell at the right price. Cracks in the wood is not good, so look closely. I had to take a return on a pipe I sold, because I failed to inspect it carefully. Badly chewed up mouthpieces is also something to stay away from.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a dying (no pun intended) collectable! Curious how you do as I pass on these.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I always check pipes when I see them. Briars sell well. I luckily live near a once popular seller of pipes. I can get pipes checked and cleaned for a decent price. I've made several hundred dollars from pipes. There is a large community of collectors and smokers around the world.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With recreational cannabis spreading, I can think of a new new users for these...

Wonderful. Customers that can pay me in pocket lint because they spent their munchie/beer money on "medicine".

At least I've started to recoup some money spent at that sale. Once I sell the machinist tools and toolbox, I'll be well on my way and then I'll get to selling the pipes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread