Check them old shades! W/ some good brain food...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit in an estate sale today at 10:30 on Friday. Tons of people had been there already. When I got there it was really picked over. There was furniture and then boxes. One of these boxes had old glasses. They were .25 each.

Here's the hint: if they look like great grandmas glasses buy them all!

Bought 4 pairs for a $1.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489814070.292211.jpg
These are ugly! They sell for $50+

One pair is gold filled. Junk.

One pair is from France. Sells for $25-40
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489814192.590740.jpg

The other pair, gold filled ray ban w/ the case. I kid you not, sold for $399 the first 20 min of being listed... best .25 cent I ever spent.

Before the picture is added. I just want to shed some light on these and pass on the info. The top 3 vintage sunglasses I have found is gold filled ray ban, Porsche Carrera and American optical. If your not familiar, burn these names in your brain. They are out there and they are very collectible. Have a good night and happy hunting!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489814532.200846.jpg

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Beachkid! I always keep my eye out for vintage glasses because of the gold factor, (which I learned about here 2 yrs ago!), but there's always something else to learn. :notworthy:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet to find any Ray Bands but still looking! I get old cases and have had great luck selling them. Congrats on a great score.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I went through a several month period where I found at least one pair of Oakleys, vintage RayBans, or American Optical sunglasses every couple weeks. Most I paid less than $1 for & sold several for over $100. Hit a dry spell & haven't seen a pair worth buying in over 6 months.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American optical was shocking to me. Seemed like a common name.

The cases do well. I find them all the time with no glasses. Usually get $10-18.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through a several month period where I found at least one pair of Oakleys, vintage RayBans, or American Optical sunglasses every couple weeks. Most I paid less than $1 for & sold several for over $100. Hit a dry spell & haven't seen a pair worth buying in over 6 months.

Isn't it funny how that happens. I see it a lot with jewelry. Won't see something like Silpada. Then for 3-4 weeks it's everywhere... and SNAP.... it's gone for 18 months!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Is it any wonder that I go to the junk boxes
Instead of taking time scouring the gold , silver and other jewelry. Way better percentages taken from this common stuff and it's everywhere. Not as glamorous until you pay cash on a new motorcycle from items like this sold for the big bucks. [emoji38]

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly. I compete with jewelry guys for stuff here and there, but I make far more money on the overlooked stuff. This reminds me that I have several boxes of Prada and others brands eyeglasses cases to sell!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Most folks know the sleeper items. At least the folks on this forum:
Japanese made vintage turntables(never sold any for under $100 unless it was for parts and still minimum $75
Smoking pipes and accessories
Swatch watches (sell in lots unless from 80s or special editions...then sell singly
Virginia Metalcrafters Brass ANYTHING.
Swarovski Sean signed pins brooches etc. Christmas tree brooches by them sell for over $100 regularly. Learned this lesson by selling one for $105 and realizing afterward that the average price was closer to $300.
Federal Glass (milk glass specifically) still sells well to folks overseas.
I wish I could buy and sell full time. I love the hunt though far more than the selling. Love the $$ too, but the thrill is the hunt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread