125 miles of driving......1969 Navy VP-832 Patrol Squadron Jacket

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove 125 miles today for 4 sales and not much to show for it. I normally do not buy military uniforms but this jacket was reasonable and I figured it was practical enough that someone could were today. (They had full, formal wool uniform for $80 but I passed)

Navy
Year: 1969
VP-832 Patrol Squadrom Jacket
Name of owner: J.H. Preiss (I ask if he was in Vietman and they said no)
Size: 38R

If I am reading the other patch, I guess he was "Seaman Apprentice Fireman"? Curious what value of this jacket would be. I think it is interesting enough that some hipster kid will buy it to wear.

IMG_20170408_194534.jpg IMG_20170408_194546.jpg IMG_20170408_194610.jpg

Also picked up this really cool sterling, marcasite, and onyx ring for $8. Ring was smashed and very uneven, but fixed it in about 2 min. I really like this ring.

IMG_20170408_194950.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Phoenix or was it Mesa Arizona Craigs list for a value. There's a guy that posts hundreds of ads wanting military collectibles there. You might have something worth more than you think!

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Phoenix or was it Mesa Arizona Craigs list for a value. There's a guy that posts hundreds of ads wanting military collectibles there. You might have something worth more than you think!

Thanks boogeyman......will do more research.

I found this one which is the same jacket. One patch is same. Asking price is high but has 4 watching.
Vintage US Militaria BLUE USN NAVY Deck jacket N-1 COLD WEATHER Sz 46 look 44 | eBay

Here's a couple similar (more patches) that sold:
Old US NAVY DSA 1 1960S Blue Jacket &LOTS of PATCHES Submarine Tonkin Enterprise | eBay

Vintage Patched 1960's U.S.N. U.S. Navy Blue N-4 Deck Jacket w Conmar zipper | eBay

This is why I love this hobby. Always learning something new.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice buys!

Patrol Squadron 832 (VP-832) was stationed at Naval Air Station New York. They were an anti-submarine squadron. Take a look at: VP-832 Summary Pages

The "Seaman Apprentice Fireman" stripes shows that J.H. Preiss was a Petty Office 2nd Class (E-5) and not a Seaman Apprentice (E-2).

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess he was "Seaman Apprentice Fireman"?

That is not a seaman apprentice patch (paygrade E2 if I remember correctly) that is a 2nd class petty officer patch, but it does not give his rating (type of work he did) He would be paygrade E5

Here is the type of plane in VP-832

Attachments

• mmc-1885.jpg
    mmc-1885.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx vpnavy and dan for the info!

So I feel like I get much more from this site than I give, so I'm always excited when I find out something new. Seems these type of jackets are very popular in Japan. Retail on one in decent condition is $250 - $300. Something else to keep an eye out for.

later,
bill

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Classic American clothing is very popular in japan, when I find very old denim/workwear/outdoor clothing it goes to japan at least half the time. Great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread