Thanks mojjax for the idea you gave in another post.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mojjax is always visiting the FREE TABLE at his town dump. It wasn't raining on saturday so I visited my town's transfer station. I saw an employee talking to someone near the front gate so I park there and asked about the free table. Since it rains here all the time (over 110" last 12 months) they have a FREE SHED but he said you have to be dropping something off (so they get money from you) before you can take something for free.

So I tell him I recycle cell phones and greenboards-RAM-CPU from computers. I asked him if he ever sees any and he said every now and then. I told him if he can legally pull and take home I would buy all he could get. He was thrilled to make some extra money and pulled out his phone to take my number. Three hours later I get a call from him. Someone brought in a big bag of cells. I said great I am on the pier fishing and on his way home he delivered (everyone knows where the pier is) 40 cell phones and he was $20 happier. This is not going to be as good as Juan's deliveries of 400-500 cells every 2-3 weeks but I am retired.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great news ! Good luck !
More people should ask their Transfer Stations to start a free table or free shed .
Years ago our transfer had a big sign ''NO DUMP PICKING '' .... I found some antique brass lighting rods in the metal pile , I asked the dump manager if I could have them , he said ''sure'' .

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my girlfriend and I go back east for vacation, there is a transfer station in town that has the "free" shed off to one side. I think the only thing of value i ever saw there was an old lobster trap float. I gave it to my aunt back home in SoCal since she is a Cape Cod girl and loves that sort of stuff.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a kid in Vermont I went to the transfer station a few towns over with a friend all the time. We got lots of skis for projects, milk crates, signs, assorted pieces of metal (our ultimate goal was to find something to make a basketball hoop out of, the ones we made were always pretty sketchy), an actual basketball hoop, bike parts, the list goes on. The only time we weren't allowed to take something was when we decided we wanted a 55 gallon drum, there were always a bunch of them but the guy in the office said we couldn't take them because they didn't know what had been in them. Understandable now, at the time seemed very unjust.

In hindsight I imagine we were able to take so much because we were kids, I've noticed as an adult that people are much more suspicious about your intentions and will refuse requests that were always granted as kids. It seems that many adults have a fear of someone making a profit off of them, or are worried about scams, so even though I want the objects for the same reasons it is definitely harder now. That being said, politeness and respect usually help you get what you want in the end.

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our recycling center - city run and very small, has signs up everywhere, "No Scrounging" "No Picking" and they're quick to yell if you pick something up. Even the hardcover book bin... that's always hard to see. I guess I just think books should be treated differently. I've gotten around it by surreptitiously slipping one into the box that I'm dumping from.

The metal bin always has a pile of nice stuff behind it - copper and brass items, and usable things, so I think the workers do their own scrounging.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our recycling center - city run and very small, has signs up everywhere, "No Scrounging" "No Picking" and they're quick to yell if you pick something up. Even the hardcover book bin... that's always hard to see. I guess I just think books should be treated differently. I've gotten around it by surreptitiously slipping one into the box that I'm dumping from.

The metal bin always has a pile of nice stuff behind it - copper and brass items, and usable things, so I think the workers do their own scrounging.

Same here, our county dump/transfer station has posted signs (real signs, like highway type signs) saying no taking of items, area is monitored via security cameras, violators will be barred from the property, etc.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Our landfill had a "Free Shed" for a while, but they ended up turning it over to Goodwill to run. Part of the problem with it was that there were people who would come out there with their trucks and sit all day taking anything good that came in. They would even come over to your car to help you unload just to get first dibs. They started trying to solve this problem by setting a limit on how long you could be there, but later they apparently decided they didn't want to provide the manpower to run it and turned it over to Goodwill.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodwill = scum of the earth.

I've seen a good bit of people who wouldn't be able to get jobs anywhere else working there. People who are just happy to actually be doing something that is appreciated.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a good bit of people who wouldn't be able to get jobs anywhere else working there. People who are just happy to actually be doing something that is appreciated.

Picking up aluminum cans is appreciated and pays better.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you are Goodwill International CEO, Jim Gibbons, he made $729,000 in 2016

Have never seen GW do anything. Went to the VA the other day and the Salvation Army ladies were working the Coffee carts. No charge. Just wish Salvation Army had better stuff and then GW.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years back was involved in Search & Rescue during the big brush fires & floods. We walked down to the Red Cross trailer to get a cup of coffee. They were charging emergency personnel 10 cents a cup & 25 cents for a donut! Across the road down a little the Salvation Army was literally shoving a cup in everyones hand no charge! Guess who gets my donations?

Any of you guys old enough to remember going to the dump with dad or grandpa and bringing back with more than you took? And the only thing they yelled at you for was if you got too far from the truck!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years back was involved in Search & Rescue during the big brush fires & floods. We walked down to the Red Cross trailer to get a cup of coffee. They were charging emergency personnel 10 cents a cup & 25 cents for a donut! Across the road down a little the Salvation Army was literally shoving a cup in everyones hand no charge! Guess who gets my donations?

Any of you guys old enough to remember going to the dump with dad or grandpa and bringing back with more than you took? And the only thing they yelled at you for was if you got too far from the truck!

I'm not that old and I remember doing that!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Florida CEOs make between $328,000-$455,000 in base salary. That number was for 2014, the last year figures are available. It doesn't include $300,000 bonuses they were paid either. This year they are going to forego the bonuses, because sales are down. I hope they don't starve.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...nal-sales-slump-tampa-bay-shortfall-1/2318121

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diving at the dump is a little different here. One of our best buddies runs the place, and he picks up all kinds of goodies. A couple of factories dump stuff there. If the CEO's only knew what all they dump...new stuff still in packages, like staplers, staples, binders, and dry erase boards.
4'x8' sheets of dry erase boards. Some with the sheet metal on the back.
We built our chicken houses inside the barn out of that stuff. Poop on, Wipe off...:thumbsup:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diving at the dump is a little different here. One of our best buddies runs the place, and he picks up all kinds of goodies. A couple of factories dump stuff there. If the CEO's only knew what all they dump...new stuff still in packages, like staplers, staples, binders, and dry erase boards.
4'x8' sheets of dry erase boards. Some with the sheet metal on the back.
We built our chicken houses inside the barn out of that stuff. Poop on, Wipe off...:thumbsup:
The metal backed ones would be cool! Put a surplus magnet from a harddrive on each chicken and you'd never have to worry about them getting out or chasing them down! :laughing7: Plus you'd could shoot video and your utube channel would go viral! :tongue3:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't mind it so much if they paid minimum wage while the CEO made millions... But they can't afford minimum wage for their handicapped workers... and the ceo makes millions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread