Colonial folk art?

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think this is valuable, but it's probably old. Think I've seen this type of eagle on Colonial coins and documents before. Is there a specific name for this type of eagle?

The eagle is hand-carved and seems to have been taken off of something else and nailed to a crude bookend-like piece. Maybe a decoration from a ship?

The backing seems to be the cover of an old book. Base is heavy iron with wood fused to the bottom.

Bizarrely, the wood features hand-painted (Central / South American?) Native motifs on the bottom.

What do you all think? Folk art from an early American sea voyage or just a hunk of junk? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495919240.782891.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495919254.815965.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495919284.884831.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495919298.335185.jpg

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely in the style of federal period folk art but to me, it looks too clean. Just my thoughts without having it in front of me. It's a great piece and well worth having someone look at it. I personally think by the way it's mounted, that it's a somewhat modern bookend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Federal period" is the term I was looking for. Thanks!

Also, I think the eagle came from somewhere else and was cobbled onto a bookend. The two pieces may not be at all related.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Federal period" is the term I was looking for. Thanks!

Also, I think the eagle came from somewhere else and was cobbled onto a bookend. The two pieces may not be at all related.

I thought of that too. Definitely should have someone look at it up close and personal. I know a bit about early stuff but I am no "Roadshow" expert. Plus sometimes pictures just don't do a piece justice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread