Sea Turtle Shell and Native America Turtle Shell Rattle

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked these up today. Spent a little more than I typically like to spend, but not too much.

I thought the sea turtle shell was cool. Not sure what the market value is for this type of thing.

The rattle is modern but a real turtle shell and what I believe to be rabbit. Person I bought them from said he picked up both in New Mexico.

Let me know what you all think.

IMG_20170527_162212.jpg
IMG_20170527_162243.jpg

IMG_20170527_162509.jpg
IMG_20170527_162515.jpg
IMG_20170527_162524.jpg

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.... I am pretty sure the trading of sea turtle shells is illegal isn't it?

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a green turtle shell. I know the hawksbill was endangered, but seems green turtles are too.

As a kid, I found a dead one on the beach one time, brought it home and asked my grandfather to save the shell for me. He told me he would do it, but he told me it started to stink so he threw it away.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a cool and interesting find but man I wouldn't know what to do with it either! i was doing some reading and I saw somewhere someone said you need a permit to own stuff like this but idk! Hopefully some more people will chime in! I do know it isn't illegal to own something like a straight razor made from real tortoise shell but an actual tortoise shell? That's crazy!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All species except the flatback are endangered. All species are protected under CITES though, at least as far as I can tell. The only way for it to be legal to sell is if it predates 1947. Do your own research, but that is what I found doing a quick search.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure the sea turtle shell is old. Wouldn't buy it new and won't sell it. However, in the moment, at a garage sale, I'm ok with it. Will save for my man cave when I get one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread