Need some help with some of these.......

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF all the above mentioned "tips" and tips to arise from here check out... DO NOT try and remove the back on your own.

The next step after here would be to take to a Rolex experienced dealer / jeweler for this.

IF and when that time should arise... the watch jeweler will remove the back... and will immediately be able to tell if real.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The help here will at least be able to help in the direction to proceed... and perhaps either dispel the mystery... or intensify it :P

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to get your hopes up but boy that sure looks like a 1950-1960 Oyster Datejust. Check between the lugs and let us know if there is a number there. It might be very light. Note the similarity in the bezel and how the crown stick out. Dials came in difference looks so that is not a issue. Yours might be a reference 6305. My instincts says this has a high probability of being the real deal.
View attachment 1456694 View attachment 1456747
Yes there is a number there, now how do I look it up to see when it was made.....value?

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be a reference number stamped. Something like 6284, 6305 etc. that would be the reference. The other side will have the serial number. Www.bobswatches.com has a link to serial number ranges but they bounce around so it's not a real good test. Can you post some close-up better pictures. As for value a could be across the board depending upon if it's real, condition, whether it's been serviced. If it is real and it looks like it needs a new Crystal and a service which would be in the hundreds of dollars. Without being a rare dial or reference it could be worth anything from $1200-$2500.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be a reference number stamped. Something like 6284, 6305 etc. that would be the reference. The other side will have the serial number. Www.bobswatches.com has a link to serial number ranges but they bounce around so it's not a real good test. Can you post some close-up better pictures. As for value a could be across the board depending upon if it's real, condition, whether it's been serviced. If it is real and it looks like it needs a new Crystal and a service which would be in the hundreds of dollars. Without being a rare dial or reference it could be worth anything from $1200-$2500.
Okay I see its a model 1501 put our between 1964-1968. I do believe it needs some repair. Where would I take it to have it repaired and would it be worth more?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay I see its a model 1501 put our between 1964-1968. I do believe it needs some repair. Where would I take it to have it repaired and would it be worth more?

AUTHORIZED ... Rolex service center ONLY.

And yes... serviced is always worth more... and keep the records with watch.
Psend the money on it IF you can afford to do so...

IMO spend what it takes... THEN put away in safe spot... OR wear it if you like it.

IF you choose to wear it... and have it sized... keep ALL pins and links with the service paperwork.

These watches are GREAT investment pieces... and will only rise in value over time.

IMO.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes it would certainly be worth more. I estimate it would probably cost $600-$1000 to fix. You would then be worth between $2000- $3000 depending on the condition. Of course if it checks out real.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it would certainly be worth more. I estimate it would probably cost $600-$1000 to fix. You would then be worth between $2000- $3000 depending on the condition. Of course if it checks out real.

In reviewing sold auctions I revise my value to $1750 to $2500. So on the current condition I would say $750-$1000. Again assuming real and no damage to the movement.

Tremec

Greenie
Mar 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had bad experiences with Rolex service. They really like replacing hands and dials, which would ruin the collector value. Official Rolex service centers have one goal, and it's to return the watch to as near factory condition as possible. If this is a genuine Rolex I would suggest bringing it to an authorized watch repair place and doing a conservative restoration. My guy is certified to work on rolexes but charges half the cost for a Rolex overhaul.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SAM_0575.JPG SAM_0576.JPG SAM_0577.JPG SAM_0578.JPG SAM_0579.JPG SAM_0580.JPG SAM_0581.JPG Okay I made a lot of pictures. Sorry for that. I have them in mens with bands and mens without bands. womens with bands and without bands. This if overwhelming on what to look for, I ask for your patience. If you have further suggestions please don't be afraid to say so. I am at the point just to throw a bunch together and sell them in lots......

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1457955 View attachment 1457956 View attachment 1457957 View attachment 1457958 View attachment 1457959 View attachment 1457960 View attachment 1457961 Okay I made a lot of pictures. Sorry for that. I have them in mens with bands and mens without bands. womens with bands and without bands. This if overwhelming on what to look for, I ask for your patience. If you have further suggestions please don't be afraid to say so. I am at the point just to throw a bunch together and sell them in lots......

Hard to tell because there pics are not clear but nothing is jumping out to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions