Sterling Basket at a Neighborhood Sale

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an annual neighborhood sale in my area this weekend and I almost didn't go because it's usually the same 4 houses that set up every year and it's the same stuff. I was surprised to see a neighbor setting up that never had one before. The couple were bringing things out from their garage and placing it on tables. It didn't look too promising but I got out of the car anyways to get a closer look. I'm glad I did because this silver basket was sitting there all dirty and grimy. I turned it over and to my surprise, it was marked "Sterling". I asked the gentleman how much and he said $4. I was shocked to find this piece since the neighborhood sale had started an hour before. The couple must have had a late start in setting up. About a half hour later, while driving back, I noticed the couple had a rush of people stop and were looking at their tables. I guess I stopped just in time!
The Reed & Barton basket weighs 10.5 oz. It has a couple of small dents.

* Does anyone know how old this could be?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 156

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. 1920's would be my guess.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about perfect timing! Great find and for $4.00! I'm jealous.

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could get that lucky!!

Great deal and beautiful piece!

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a brides basket to me. Usually they would have a glass insert, which is why a lot of them were only decorated on the edges. Would love to see it polished up. Usually Reed and Barton made a lot of Silverplate baskets. I would imagine this would bring top dollar on the market....

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a fruit basket also? . I had something similar. I scrapped mine though. It was over a lb.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice solid piece of silver. Definitely worth more than scrap. Clean it carefully, as it surely will intensified the beauty and value of it.

OP
OP
M

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a fruit basket also? . I had something similar. I scrapped mine though. It was over a lb.

~Yours was over a lb ?! Wow.. This basket is my biggest Sterling find yet. I noticed it's getting harder to find nice Sterling pieces. Do you ever regret not keeping yours? Just wondering..

OP
OP
M

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice solid piece of silver. Definitely worth more than scrap. Clean it carefully, as it surely will intensified the beauty and value of it.

~ Thank you tamrock! I consider the basket as my "Garage Sale Trophy" for 2017. ��

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread