May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did my normal Sunday morning swing by the local flea market. As usual most of the same vendors selling the same junk but I did stumble upon one guy who had some really fine items. I picked up this very large original graphite drawing for $40. The artist is Richard Mayberry and he is a North Carolina artist with works in several museums and represented by a local high end art gallery in town. I can't imagine how long it took him to do this work which is very large. The original price appears to be on the back at $800 and that is probably 1980 dollars. Very nice work. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497194906.568224.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497194937.151943.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497194946.722532.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497194961.243948.jpg

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the gallery got back to me and said they rep the artist and have 6 or 7 works currently for sale by the artist. They said they would price my item in their gallery at $7400.00. Apparently he is a top North Carolina artist. Whoa!!!!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the gallery got back to me and said they rep the artist and have 6 or 7 works currently for sale by the artist. They said they would price my item in their gallery at $7400.00. Apparently he is a top North Carolina artist. Whoa!!!!

Holy crap!!! Nice score to say the least :hello2:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score, congratulations!

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find. The amount of work in drawing the picture alone would of made me investigate it's value.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you consign it to the gallery yet?

Unfortunately they were not interested in taking it has a consignment sense they are obligated to the artist to sell his new works.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40 into 7400,,,

Bim yah baby !

Well done.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40 into 7400,,,

Bim yah baby !

Well done.

I doubt I could get even close to that. Maybe 1/3 if I'm lucky. Gallery prices are ridiculous.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing eye for him to see that much detail and even more so to be able to transpose it to paper. Really magnificent skill this gent has.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how you are going to sell it? Auction house, ebay?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! I'd a never guessed that be worth that much. Not much of an eye for art on my end. There's so dang much of it on the 2nd hand market and most I see ain't worth buying imo, so who knows what all I've missed.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how you are going to sell it? Auction house, ebay?

I am trying to find a gallery that will take it on consignment. If that falls thru possibly an art auction company. Final choice would be eBay.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! I'd a never guessed that be worth that much. Not much of an eye for art on my end. There's so dang much of it on the 2nd hand market and most I see ain't worth buying imo, so who knows what all I've missed.

A trick I use on art is I look at the frames first. High quality art is usually in high quality frames. Once I find a great frame I check the image.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score and Nice ROI even if you only get a 1/3 of 7400. it is the witching hour in SoCal (Saturday 630 AM) I am off to troll the fields. Wish me luck?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread