Question for you precious metal buyers/sellers

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I finally got a response to an ad I placed online that basically says I buy anything of value. A guy wrote me today and said the following:

I have 4 Sea Turtle 1/2 gram gold $1 coins
I have 4 Golden Horseshoe 1/2 gram gold $1 coins &
I have 4 Four Leaf Clover 1 gram gold $1 coins
All come with their individual certificate of authenticity listing country of location weight and gold content

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497744178.922353.jpg

He doesn't want to discuss pricing until I have had an opportunity to do some research. I don't have much experience buying precious metals. If I go solely on gold value, a gram should be worth somewhere around $40. I did research the three coins using eBay solds, and it seems like they sell for roughly $60 a piece, whether 1/2g or 1g.

My question is, with the gold value of roughly $320 for the 12 coins, and a potential resale value of approximately $720, what number do I come to the table with? Is this even worth pursuing if the seller is wanting much more than spot?

Thanks!

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start my offer at 80-90% of spot price of gold and go up from there. Explain that these are not US minted coins and wouldn't have any numismatic value, just gold value.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Raw gold value - NO markup. :headbang:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everybody above is correct. Looks like those were made to become "collectibles" Any time a special cert of auth. is made to go with a product they are trying to create a fake persona about an item. The cert may prove they are gold but is does nothing to give more value unless you are the fool to fall for it.

I once filled the back of my SUV with U.S. coins that were in individual boxes and plastic holders. They were all modern clad. I bought almost everything he had. All he wanted a face value. I paid around $100 for $100 face in coins. The guy's father in law sat in front of the TV always watching some coin investment cable show. I can not imagine how much he spent.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a precious metals guy, but how does buying at 80% of melt give you any profit? For something I could cash out at $320, I might pay $100 - $150 if it were a quick safe flip. Honest question, how is this different?

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIGHT being the key word. Ordinarily I am looking for a 10x multiple but this is gold

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a precious metals guy, but how does buying at 80% of melt give you any profit? For something I could cash out at $320, I might pay $100 - $150 if it were a quick safe flip. Honest question, how is this different?

Because I don't sell for melt, I am very picky about what I am giving 80% on. Most jewelry I buy I try and sell for 3-4X melt. Admittedly, I don't buy much gold - there are easier ways to make money out there.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

If you expect to buy PM's on a regular basis you have to know what buyers are paying locally. In my area the buyers are pawn shops & we buy gold stores. Most of those try to buy for 50% or less but will pay a savvy seller up to 75%. I don't have a store front or a license & can't legally solicit business from individuals. I can legally buy from estate sale companies, garage sales, & thrifts. Most of the local estate sale companies call me when they have jewelry/sterling at an upcoming sale because they know I will pay a fair price and they don't have to worry about theft at the public sale. I pay between 70-75% of what I can sell for.

That margin doesn't sound like much. On a $100 buy I'm looking at a sale of between $133-142 with a profit of $33-42. Seems like it's hardly worth the effort. However, most of the time I'm paying a minimum of $300 ($99-126 profit) with $1000 buys ($330-442 profit) being common. I'm not going to get into specifics other than to say I've made much larger buys. Anytime I can drive 15 minutes each way, spend 30 minutes to an hour buying, spend 15 minutes packing the stuff up(I sell to an out of state refinery), & make a guaranteed 33-42% return on investment I'm all over it. Some pieces are unique enough to go on eBay which increases margins into the 100-1000% range. In most cases I also get to shop the rest of the sale early without competition from other buyers.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread