Help with pocket watches.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up these two small ladies pocket watches today at a flea market for $5.00 for the pair. They don't work. I know the gold one is only plated. But I couldn't open the silver one up at the market and the case looked like sterling or at least coin (800). So I couldn't really pass on the deal for five bucks. I pooping the silver one and it's Swiss made. Nothing special with the movement and no real hallmarks on the case. But the case did acid test positive for silver with both silver and 18k nitric acid. My question for you watch experts ( Jimdon, Beachkid. Etc.) have you ever found a silver watch case with no hallmarks? I'm thinking at this point that it's plated. I still think it was a good buy at that price. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497809843.055673.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497809854.109666.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497809863.812292.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497809879.786538.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497809889.593433.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497809900.182507.jpg

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I started getting into watches is not too long ago so I'm not a huge expert on them at all yet. But by looking at it it looks like it's silver. It's highly decorative which makes it nice. However everything I found has been marked silver or 800 or 925. that doesn't mean it's not so silver. Can't go wrong for $5!

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, so that pocket watch is very old around 1890s or so and most likely solid silver. You really can't tell for sure unless you have it electronically tested but there is a good chance. The movement is from Jacot Locle these are cool watches and for $5 it's a nice deal! Does it run?
0s Jacot Locle Pocket Watch, Solid Silver OF Case, #5116 - 1890's | eBay

Thanks! No it doesn't run. Just really surprised that the case has no hallmark of any kind. That's what is stumping my a bit. It does test very positive with the acid tests.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I started getting into watches is not too long ago so I'm not a huge expert on them at all yet. But by looking at it it looks like it's silver. It's highly decorative which makes it nice. However everything I found has been marked silver or 800 or 925. that doesn't mean it's not so silver. Can't go wrong for $5!

Thanks BK!! Yeah it didn't think I could go wrong either at that price. I do have a small sterling men's pocket watch collection but those all have hallmarks.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The green oxidation on the hinge makes me think it's plated.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The green oxidation on the hinge makes me think it's plated.

I'm really leaning in that direction as well. As much as it looks like silver, without the hallmarks I'm going to conclude that it's heavily plated. Still a good buy $5 for the pair though.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really leaning in that direction as well. As much as it looks like silver, without the hallmarks I'm going to conclude that it's heavily plated. Still a good buy $5 for the pair though.

Both watches are very nice. I am actually a big fan of Hampden watches. Very underrated. I would find it very unusual if the case is not marked unless it was coin silver. Usually if it was a smeltered metal it would have to be assayed to determine its silver content and marked as such. Coin silver is the exception since it is already assayed at 90% silver. Unfortunately both watches will cost more to fix than they are worth. Unless you can service them yourself. Also note that seven jewels is generally considered the minimum for repair. This is due to the metal on metal wear caused without the jewels. Both are still worth more than you paid though!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very similar one some where around here.

Tis .800 AKA coin silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread