Early American wash stand

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is another one of my antique rescue stories. A couple weeks ago I was at a field auction. If something doesn't sell or the buyer doesn't want it from the lot that they bought, it just sits there and it becomes up for grabs. That's right!! Free! And I love "free"! No one wanted this because of the condition. This little stand is an early American (probably New England), wash stand circa 1800-1810. Solid mahogany with hand cut dovetail drawers and original pulls. But..... it was somewhat of a hot mess structurally. The top trim pieces were completely broken off along with the curved top part of the stand. Good thing was that all of the pieces were in the bottom drawer. I knew that I could repair this little gem and bring it back to life so that it could continue its story. I know it sounds corny but this could have easily ended up in the dump, and I tend to gravitate towards these little antique misfits. With some wood glue, a variety of clamps and three separate repair sessions, I believe I have brought it back to life. It has one small missing piece on the side that I can easily remake from a piece of mahogany when I get a chance. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920236.950975.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920262.658705.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920274.100172.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920282.184889.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920292.443836.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920316.033980.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920331.266283.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920340.153237.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920351.920037.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920361.123687.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497920371.979138.jpg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad all for the cost of a little elbow grease!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great rescue! I would date this a little later than you. Seems 1840-70 to me.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know furniture fairly well and also did some additional research. Looking into some sites like Christies, it's definitely a federal period piece 1789-1823. It has a chamfered bottom drawer with straight saw marks and very early wood screws in the drawer pulls. The brass round decorative pieces and thin turned legs are also federal period. I know what you're thinking though with the curved front. It looks a bit like an Empire period style which would be in the time period you were talking about. I actually saw one almost identical to it on an older auction site and it was from the same period.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know furniture fairly well and also did some additional research. Looking into some sites like Christies, it's definitely a federal period piece 1789-1823. It has a chamfered bottom drawer with straight saw marks and very early wood screws in the drawer pulls. The brass round decorative pieces and thin turned legs are also federal period. I know what thinking though with the curved front. It looks a bit like an Empire period style which would be in the time period you were talking about. I actually saw one almost identical to it on an older auction site and it was from the same period.

With a name like Captain Flintlock how could I second guess you about colonial furniture!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know furniture fairly well and also did some additional research. Looking into some sites like Christies, it's definitely a federal period piece 1789-1823. It has a chamfered bottom drawer with straight saw marks and very early wood screws in the drawer pulls. The brass round decorative pieces and thin turned legs are also federal period. I know what thinking though with the curved front. It looks a bit like an Empire period style which would be in the time period you were talking about. I actually saw one almost identical to it on an older auction site and it was from the same period.

I agree with the Capt. Capt? What do you know about those elongated dove tails? I am no furniture expert but what is coming to mind is that is very significant to a famous maker. Anyone Know? I would take pics and send to the twin bros on the roadshow. Something tells me you might be onto a very nice piece. (My fourth left toe is itching) Doesn't hurt to ask! Don't do any refinishing.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the Capt. Capt? What do you know about those elongated dove tails? I am no furniture expert but what is coming to mind is that is very significant to a famous maker. Anyone Know? I would take pics and send to the twin bros on the roadshow. Something tells me you might be onto a very nice piece. (My fourth left toe is itching) Doesn't hurt to ask! Don't do any refinishing.

I'm certainly no "Roadshow" expert. But living in Connecticut for 30+ years, doing some collecting and seeing just about every time period of furniture there is up close, I've been able to recognize some key features when they all add up in one piece. As far as the elongated dovetails. Haven't the foggiest idea!! [emoji38] I do know that a lot of these were made in Maine. It's funny you mention the Keno twins. My wife (wench, she would laugh) and I were at Brimfield antique show a few years ago. I go off to get a lemonade and come back to where she was. She says- "guess who I just met and chatted with"? Me-Who? She says "the Keno twins!" [emoji52] I plan on no refinishing on this little beauty. I'm not a big fan of refinishing any way. I feel honored to have found it and give it a second life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread