Is this gold or plated? Pocket watch

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I don't get too excited and screw myself. I just bought his pocket watch for $150. It's marked 14 K. It was in a box sitting inside of a barn. So it's not the prettiest condition. It seems like it's gold however the loop at the top is it gold filled. Where the chain connects. I am out of town and don't have a test kit. I wanted to get a second opinion. It's a Seth Thomas pocket watch.

There were 4 more but it looked like they sat in water for probably 10 years so , they were pretty toasty. They were definitely plated, falling apart and in very bad condition. This one was in a bag but still broken. Thank you for your help!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499624109.669532.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499624133.021064.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499624154.804612.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it is 14kt. It is not unusual for gold stored with other items that have corroded to get some of the corrosion on the surface. It should just be superficial and easily buffed off

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Thats a tuffy! That 14k looks legit but the rest looks questionable. But the conditions could have made it look that rough. I'm a gambler and would have spent the $150 also. I say it's gold!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it's 14k. I think the last 3 digits of the model number points to it as well.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any other markings ?

In the cover ?
Words like "warranted" ?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. It doesn't say warranted. It doesn't work either it's just probably scrap. Has no hands on it. No Crystal and the stem is broken.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A few months ago I got a 10K yellow gold necklace that had green on it near the clasp. I was sure it was a fake. The acid test was a strong positive. I took to the jeweler who xrayed it, and yes, it was 10K.
My friend told me that sometimes when it's around other vintage stuff that isn't in good condition the green can get on it, but should wash right off. Which it did.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least someone liked my post. *SIGH*

heh

We were at a picnic and my mom yelled at me for being on my phone instead of talking with people I haven't seen or don't even remember who they were. Oops! I do like your post and everything you comment though. Thank you very much!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry...

Over the years I have grown use to working with and for....

thankless people. :P

J/k// np BK.

Best of luck on your watch... BTW...
Might want to list as is instead of scraping.
Could bring a tad more from the watch guys.

BIN it 100 above scrap.
IF... going to scrap anyway...

Don't forget to remove steel ring in case for correct weight.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find BK, find a good movement and crystal for it and you've got yourself a beautiful 14k pocketwatch. I would keep it, they're hard to find at that price.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of "gold" pocket watches have real gold front and rear covers but the main body is plated. The main body naturally has the most weight, and if it is solid gold it should be marked so as the covers are.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BK, sorry to say but I believe this is gold filled, I had one almost identical to that also just marked 14k, turned out to be heavy gold filled

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Puritan Watch case is a Model Not a maker. The maker is Bates and Bacon All of the Puritans were rolled gold filled warranted for 5 years. They skirted the law by placing the fact that they were plated by stating the fact in the paper description on the case warranty. This is early before the laws clamped down on unscrupulous practices by case makers. I have not ever seen or heard of anyone seeing a solid gold Puritan. Sorry Friend

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Puritan Watch case is a Model Not a maker. The maker is Bates and Bacon All of the Puritans were rolled gold filled warranted for 5 years. They skirted the law by placing the fact that they were plated by stating the fact in the paper description on the case warranty. This is early before the laws clamped down on unscrupulous practices by case makers. I have not ever seen or heard of anyone seeing a solid gold Puritan. Sorry Friend
Completely agree with this. I have seen many cases like this marked 14k. People try and sell em off like they're gold but usually end up not being gold. Puritan Watch Cases see here. Be careful purchasing "solid gold" pocket watches!

Here is a good quote, "The Puritan case grade was listed in the Roy Ehrhardt "trademarks" book to have been made by Bates & Bacon in New York City until purchased by the Philadelphia Watch Case Co. in 1904. Philadelphia continued to use the B & B trademarks after the sale. The Puritan is listed as being a 10 Kt gold filled case, warrented for 5 years, but may have been upgraded to 14 Kt gold filled at a later date." http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?45509-Gold-vs-Gold-filled

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll let ya know in 5 min. I'll just put the acid right on the gold. I just don't have a stone.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry beachkid, that sucks. I appreciate you taking the fall and learning this lesson for yourself & the rest of us. I know I'll be sure to acid test those in the future. You get some amazing finds and I'm sure you'll bounce back in no time! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions