Japanese Silver Compact and "The Good Earth" studio post card

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up this silver Japanese compact this weekend. Paid $40 for it, which is more than I usually pay, but quality seems good. It is marked "Silver 017 inside the compact and tests as silver.

Take a look directly below the tail of the bird and to the left of the signature. There is something that looks like a scrape to me and looks like brass colored underneath. When I tested, it I ground deep enough to get through any plate. Any idea what the brass colored scratch mark is?

IMG_20170716_181211.jpg
IMG_20170716_181221.jpg

I also picked up this post card studio proof for the movie "The Good Earth". An example of the postcard is here.

IMG_20170716_160445.jpg
IMG_20170716_160454.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170715_115531.jpg
    IMG_20170715_115531.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan may be able to help you with the characters. According to 925-1000.com, since 1928, Japan has used decimal standard marks for silver.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds! I love old films. "The Good Earth" an adaptation from Pearl S. Buck's novel is one of my favorites. Back in those days they wouldn't cast Chinese actors in leading Chinese roles go figure. It was kind of like when they wouldn't cast Bruce Lee in Kung Fu because he was too Chinese looking and went with David Carradine instead. I bet they're still kicking themselves over that one as they would be making a ton of money on the reruns today if they had cast Bruce Lee! Oh well serves them right. Paul Muni did a fairly good job playing Wang Lung. The French actress, Luise Rainer did an outstanding job playing O-Lan for which she won the Oscar for Best Actress and I doubt anyone (even a Chinese actress) could have done better! If you ever decide to sell it let me know.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan may be able to help you with the characters.
Not me, my wife.

She just looked at it and can not read it. She says it is probably a name but it is sloppy writing and can't read it. Sound familiar? can't read an artists signature. She is not sure if Japanese or Chinese.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in those days they wouldn't cast Chinese actors in leading Chinese roles go figure. It was kind of like when they wouldn't cast Bruce Lee in Kung Fu because he was too Chinese looking

Or when they cast a white guy to play a black guy in Black Like Me. James Whitmore was a great actor but his makeup job was pretty bad.

Attachments

• likeme.jpg
    likeme.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 67

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or when they cast a white guy to play a black guy in Black Like Me. James Whitmore was a great actor but his makeup job was pretty bad.

He was actually playing a white reporter who disguised himself to be black so he could write a story about how it felt to be a black man Lol! :laughing7: You're right the makeup was ridiculous looking!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was actually playing a white reporter who disguised himself to be black so he could write a story about how it felt to be a black man
Yes, it was required reading in high school. Never saw the movie till last month. Couldn't take more than 30 min of it because of the makeup. It took away from the drama.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions