Jewish center scores and a miss

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
A buddy told me about a local Jewish center Rummage sale that was starting Thursday from 5-8. It went at 4:00 and waited. My first time EVER being in front for a sale. Luckily, they opened the doors 15 minutes early because of the heat and the 10 "older" folks waiting in line behind me. I went straight to the jewelry and started picking up silver rings, pendants, and necklaces for $3-4 each. My buddy was there and grabbed an older looking etching. After about 10 minutes, I moved to another table listed as "boutique", it had pieces of crystal and then I noticed silver plates...Sterling. My buddy walks over and tells me there is another table with silver looking stuff and points out this Jewish guy walking by with an older looking menorah! I go over to the table and see a salt cellar with a tiny Sterling spoon. I leave it because it's missing a spoon and had barcodes stickers on the bottom. I then go back to the other table and see a pair of beatup but still nice engraved shakers...Sterling. Surprised they were still there! Grabbed those and looked at artwork. Talked myself out of most of it and then went back to the "Judaica" table and looked at the salt cellar. I had missed seeing the other spoon in the other glass jar. Then I looked at the piece better and saw the small marks...Hazorfim Sterling! I couldn't believe I had missed it and no one else grabbed it...like the Jewish guy who scored the menorah. I had to imagine what the value of the menorah could have been.
While there, the ladies who donated items were volunteers and were offering suggestions. One suggested I try on her husband's donated tuxedo. I did and it was too small. But checking the pockets revealed $5 and a monogrammed skullcap from a wedding. I walked over and gave her the $$ and the skull. So and she said "Yes, we attended that wedding! Thank you for being so honest!". I overheard her tell several folks about me giving back the cash. I also picked up a beautiful pin that I think is 14k...6 grams. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500867001.485447.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500867024.228611.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500867050.708740.jpg I forgot the 14k amethyst and diamond ring and 14k tricolor earrings. Between a Tumi jacket for $25 and a $10 shirt, I spent $155.00 total. The ladies were happy I was buying stuff! I had to leave town the next morning or I would have gone for the second day to see what else they put out!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds right there. How many sterling silver plates did you get? How much does something like that weigh?

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought two plates at $2 each. They weigh 197g and 205g. They don't seem that heavy at all either. Marked P.S. Co. Which is Preisner Sterling. Both have small dents but I might clean them up and try to get $120 each or so.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot...it was $20 for over 700g of Sterling not counting any jewelry or the glass in the salt cellar.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. i'm checking now to see if our local Jewish center has rummage sale.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day the Jewish thrift closed down here was the day the big scores ended in the thrifting world down here.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That a great pile of treasure you found at that sale. Well done!!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Sold the Sterling to a buddy for about scrap $320 and the gold Pegasus brooch for $250 Best Offer on eBay. Still have the majority of the jewelry to list and sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions