Knife Help!!! Extremely Rare and Valuable Knife....

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Guys!

I went to buy a few beaded necklaces from a guy about a week ago, and he had 2 knifes for sale as well. He wanted a whopping $5 each for them. Seeing that one was a vintage buck knife in pristine condition, I couldn't say no. I was expecting and hoping to get $50 a piece for them.

The first knife is a Buck knife that looks to be from the 70's, very similar to the 110 model.
Vintage Buck USA 110 Folding Pocket Knife w/ Wood and Brass w/ Leather Case! | eBay

The second knife is a vintage 5.5 inch fixed blade knife with leather pouch. Custom hand made piece. I posted it on eBay for $90, and within 5 minutes received an email from a guy offering me $150 buy it now for the knife "because he liked it so much". Whenever people do this I get very excited and always decline their offer. Within another 30 minutes, I get another email from a guy telling me that I have a very rare and valuable knife, that I should decline all offers to buy it, and that I will be very surprised at what it ends up selling for.
Here is the link: Custom Made Vanad-Stin 5.5 Inch Fixed Blade Knife! WWII WW2 Era! Lee A. Hoppe! | eBay
Now, not even 3 days into the auction is is sitting at $410, with 5 watchers. I have no doubt the price will continue to increase.

Can anyone help me identify the second knife? I probably have it mis-advertised, and don't want to sell it significantly under the market price. I've spent like 4 hour researching and didn't come up with anything. Any help/ guidance/ pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
To start, I'm not keen on some one pulling an item after listing a buy it now.....Not even a little.

Your second knife I would inquire about under military theatre knives. Some gun shows are focused on the era and their should be some knowledgeable folks involved , though Cali. might have driven them underground...Quite an interesting part of history.
Locating a maker can be hit or miss.
The name on the sheath could be one of at least three possible persons involved.
Good luck.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The links provided should point you to all you need to know. It is a quite valuable to collectors.

You screwed up a couple of ways here though. You should messaged the second guy back and asked him what he knew about it. The first thing though, you have it listed in the collectible folding knife category rather than the collectible fixed blade category.

Great find though! Congrats :)

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
"To start, I'm not keen on some one pulling an item after listing a buy it now.....Not even a little."

Where does it say he posted it with a "buy it now"? Open mouth, insert foot.

Everester

Mar 8, 2014
Mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think he had it up as buy it now. I think he had it up for bid and someone wanted him to pull it and just sell it out right to them for $150.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
"To start, I'm not keen on some one pulling an item after listing a buy it now.....Not even a little."

Where does it say he posted it with a "buy it now"? Open mouth, insert foot.

MY BAD.
Looking at too many adds and a starting bid with an additional b.i.n..
Thought bids were at 90 and buyer hit a buy it now.
Have not encountered a b.i.n. offer. Only offers.
What was it you were offering on the knife subject? Or are you simply on error patrol for other posters?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buck knife. Had one like it the first three years in the Army when I was with the 9th Infantry Division.

skipper1

Greenie
Jul 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are one lucky man. I have my fathers Buck #507 mother of pearl handle.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the OP:
You can't revise an item after receiving bids, but remember, you can add information. That could well improve your results from searches.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE!

Thanks for all the information guys. I actually had the guy who owns that site reach out to me.
Knife was at $435, and after realizing I had so many errors in the listing, and so many thinks I could have done better, I decided to pull the item last night, and take the hit of eBays $40 end an item early fee. My plan was to relist the item with better pictures, more accurate title, correct category, better description, etc. I was going to run it from next Thursday to Sunday as a 10 day .99c auction.
Unfortunately, eBay being demonds that they are, suspended my account. They believe I sold the item outside of eBay to a buyer to avoid eBay fees. That isn't the case whatsoever. I was on the phone yelling at them for an hour this morning. A supervisor is supposed to call be back in the next 6 house.
This may be one of the most ridiculous things eBays done in my 10 years on their site.
Anyhow, I will keep y'all updated as to when I get reinstated on eBay and let you know when/ if the knife ends up going live.

Anyone have a guess on what the final price will be when it does end up selling? I couldn't find any sales records on worthpoint, or any knife forums.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE!

Thanks for all the information guys. I actually had the guy who owns that site reach out to me.
Knife was at $435, and after realizing I had so many errors in the listing, and so many thinks I could have done better, I decided to pull the item last night, and take the hit of eBays $40 end an item early fee. My plan was to relist the item with better pictures, more accurate title, correct category, better description, etc. I was going to run it from next Thursday to Sunday as a 10 day .99c auction.
Unfortunately, eBay being demonds that they are, suspended my account. They believe I sold the item outside of eBay to a buyer to avoid eBay fees. That isn't the case whatsoever. I was on the phone yelling at them for an hour this morning. A supervisor is supposed to call be back in the next 6 house.
This may be one of the most ridiculous things eBays done in my 10 years on their site.
Anyhow, I will keep y'all updated as to when I get reinstated on eBay and let you know when/ if the knife ends up going live.

Anyone have a guess on what the final price will be when it does end up selling? I couldn't find any sales records on worthpoint, or any knife forums.
Your account is still up and active on eBay. You should have come here before you posted the knife on ebay. You would have had all the correct information you needed beforehand to list it properly. That's what we are here for. Take advantage of that sometime. BTW- Nice knives. The Buck is the same one I used to pack on my side in High School.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I was very upset and heated this morning about everthing that was going on.

I want to say THANK YOU again to GibH and Charlie P for the links and information. It amazes me how you guys can find anything and research so quickly online. I spent a few hours unsuccessfully trying to research this knife.

You're right diggummup, I should have come here first. I wish I did, would have saved me $40 and a major head ache. I honestly thought this knife wasn't worth more than $100 originally, and didn't want to waste anyones time posting it on here.

UPDATE:

Just talked to a different eBay rep. (I was getting frustrated because I couldn't reply to buyer questions on my other items and didn't want to wait for a supervisor to call me back). And she was able to take the restriction off my account and noted that I was in great standing with eBay being a 10+ year member, top rated, and power seller.
My account is back up and runner normal again. Thankfully. I have a big week planned for next week.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If the bids were up to $435 it's highly likely that most interested collectors found your listing despite the issues. I'm not sure you would have drawn more eyeballs by relisting.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the bids were up to $435 it's highly likely that most interested collectors found your listing despite the issues. I'm not sure you would have drawn more eyeballs by relisting.

Agreed, possibly pissed one or two of them off as well.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed, possibly pissed one or two of them off as well.

Not necessarily. As it was, there were really only two bidding against each other. It isn't likely they were going to let other collectors know it was there. As for pissing either of them off, they aren't going to let that over ride their desire for a rare collectible. If it gets re-listed in the proper category and with the right title/description, it is still going to do pretty darn good. I don't collect knives, so I don't know it's value, but I'd be willing to bet it goes for $1500 or better.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily. As it was, there were really only two bidding against each other. It isn't likely they were going to let other collectors know it was there. As for pissing either of them off, they aren't going to let that over ride their desire for a rare collectible. If it gets re-listed in the proper category and with the right title/description, it is still going to do pretty darn good. I don't collect knives, so I don't know it's value, but I'd be willing to bet it goes for $1500 or better.
I agree. I've see a couple that haven't sold. One was $3.8k, the other for $3k. I was thinking close to $2k myself for his, unless it gets into a real bidding war. It's a rare bird.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks GibH. I know I did piss a lot of people off, but I think listing it correctly will be worth it. I think I'll see 2k for it. A lot of people have been messaging me on eBay. There were definitely a few other buyers that were waiting to snipe some bids in the last few minutes.

diggummup, where have you seen the ones for sale for 3800 and 3000? and when was that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread