tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a few yards sales going on around me today and this 1963 Bulova Accutron is the only thing I bought. It was only a dollar. I dreaded opening the battery compartment in fear of finding a completely corroded old battery, but no someone took it out and it's nice and clean inside, which was awesome because I really do expect to get my money's worth when I'm forking out one whole dollar :) I looked around my drawer of batteries, but I couldn't find any. Hopefully it'll hum when I do get a new battery in it and if it doesn't run, I don't think I'll cry.

Attachments

• IMG_20170826_172923.jpg
    IMG_20170826_172923.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20170826_172950.jpg
    IMG_20170826_172950.jpg
    963.7 KB · Views: 94

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking watch. it will probably need a service. The one I got a few weeks ago is starting to lose time so it needs service too.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty...i love the sound of a humming tuning fork movement! Let us know if it still works.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love mine. I think the one I got was meant to be because of the seven I've bought it was the only one that has worked. Good luck on yours I hope it works as well. I like the color!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way if it does not work I sold the last one that did not work on auction $.99 starting bid for parts or restoration and still got $70 for it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
call me when you find a cycletron at one

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! Awesome that they took the battery out!!

I like accutrons, I use to repair a few here and there for a guy that had a store, then later on for myself to resell and to make spaceviews......At that time my bench was in my bedroom. There were a few nights I'd have to take them in another room! I could hear that hum and once I focused in on it I couldn't sleep :laughing7: In the middle of the night laying on a bench the sound seems to be magnified or...... is magnified.....Like laying one on a wooden night stand too...kind of sounds like a mosquito!:laughing7:

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! Awesome that they took the battery out!!

I like accutrons, I use to repair a few here and there for a guy that had a store, then later on for myself to resell and to make spaceviews......At that time my bench was in my bedroom. There were a few nights I'd have to take them in another room! I could hear that hum and once I focused in on it I couldn't sleep :laughing7: In the middle of the night laying on a bench the sound seems to be magnified or...... is magnified.....Like laying one on a wooden night stand too...kind of sounds like a mosquito!:laughing7:

You still repairing?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe 10 years ago was the last time I had a 218 repaired. I still recall it was a $90.00 charge. I've only had a few others, but they took off as soon as I put in a new battery and I sold those as (As-Is) working watches. None that I've owned ever kept superior time. Bulova only guaranteed them to be accurate within 2 seconds a day or a minute per month. I like em because now I can afford one, especially at a price like this one. I so wanted to have a spaceview for my birthday the first time I saw the add in maybe Life magazine. To this day I've yet to own one of those. My favorite Accutron is the Astronaut model. Maybe this solid 18K gold one with an asking price of $3950.?

Attachments

• Astro_18k-2.jpg
    Astro_18k-2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
call me when you find a cycletron at one
I've got a Cycle-with-me-on. I ride it all the time. I'm fix'n to maybe go peddling it around this morning.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way if it does not work I sold the last one that did not work on auction $.99 starting bid for parts or restoration and still got $70 for it.
Some place around here, I've got a 214 stainless case I bought for like 5 buck, but someone cut two lugs on one side off the the case. :icon_scratch: It has a great looking dial and on it. I just went to find it, but Mama's here and she gets weird when I'm rummaging through drawers and looking for things. She doesn't deal with me talking to myself when I can't remember where I put something. I just started looking for it and she said... what are you looking for? I'll find it when she leaves.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe 10 years ago was the last time I had a 218 repaired. I still recall it was a $90.00 charge. I've only had a few others, but they took off as soon as I put in a new battery and I sold those as (As-Is) working watches. None that I've owned ever kept superior time. Bulova only guaranteed them to be accurate within 2 seconds a day or a minute per month. I like em because now I can afford one, especially at a price like this one. I so wanted to have a spaceview for my birthday the first time I saw the add in maybe Life magazine. To this day I've yet to own one of those. My favorite Accutron is the Astronaut model. Maybe this solid 18K gold one with an asking price of $3950.?

A 1964 Space View is my #1 wish list Watch. Just haven't found the right one

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for the converted ones. Seems there are many of those floating around. I saw one some time ago for $90.00 and I felt sure the guy would have taken less as you can tell some sellers are just waiting for you to make an offer, but I won't do that unless I'm seriously fixing to make a deal. It was an early 1970's 218 with a real funky case that had a micron gold plate case and pretty beat up with lots of wear on the case. I thought about getting it, but it just didn't appeal to me all that much, so I declined. It was all original though.

Last edited:

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
When you put the battery in it; if it doesn't work; don't be scared to solidly smack the side on the table. A lot of the times the Accutrons just need a good thumping to kick them off.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was offered one not too long ago but for $350. I couldn't stomach that. Some self or higher but He said I don't know if it works. Well I'm not buying that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions