What to do with mildew/moldy documents + pictures?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort of a dilemma here. Bought three folders filled with envelopes and pictures. The pictures are from the late 1800s of people with their names on it very cool. Unfortunately, being in my car I got a sore throat. Turns out some of the envelopes developed mildew and have light spotting. The pictures look fine as they were in a different envelope.... I don't want to throw it all away but I am not sure if the pictures could have been infected as well. They are in the garage right now can I can't decide what to do. I know sun kills mold and mildew but not sure how good it is. Argh! I hate mold. Here is what the mold looks like, several envelopes look like this. I wanted to cut the stamps off and keep those but those are probably infected as well.
20170826_190631_resized.jpg 20170826_190637_resized.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mold and mildew need moisture to grow, you might be able to kill it by covering them with silica gel. That would keep from bleaching them out. You can buy it from any craft store, look in the flower drying section.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about laying them in the sun. I do it for toys. Lay them outside on my back porch and for a couple days they don’t smell anymore.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You saying that the mildew gave you a sore throat? Here in Florida mold and mildew are commonplace unfortunately. I have a decent half mask that I have to use at work sometimes. I did a floor job not long ago. So much black mold, moisture and mildew in that place, the wood planks had mushrooms growing out of them. One TJ Maxx had standing puddles of water under the tile after we demo'd it. Your post is a good reminder though. Certain things we run across in this hobby/business can be harmful or dangerous to your health. As with everything in life, be vigilant.

I have a WW2 foot locker that has a "stink" permanently embedded in the fibers of the wood, lol.
I say that because I have tried (literally) everything to neutralize it, to no avail. Some of you may remember this thread... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/347159-hoarder-house-pics.html

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If it were me I wouldn’t keep it around. Sun and baking soda maybe? Good luck.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh these are LONGG gone by now, not worth keeping. However, Smithsonian said to wipe with cotton ball outside and then vacuum with a hepa filter and should be good to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread