That blank mind feeling.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started off with yard sales and estate sales. Turned it into my business. Now on my 37th birthday sitting at home waiting for a HUGE hurricane Irma to come to Florida. Decided to stay, the house is built for 150 mph winds. Idk what we should do. Damnit I love where we live. And it looks like it's headed to our evacuation place anyways. Highways are packed and gas is mia.... [emoji15]

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been through my share of hurricanes, but a cat 5 ain't no joke. I don't give a crap how you feel about where you live, if you are in the path, get the hell out of dodge.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd probably stay too. If I were in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or West Palm, I'd be heading out of there right now.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id advise getting out, too. Looks like some serious stuff blowing in. I figure if the house is built to last it will still be there when you return. If you don't and its not, well.... that's all I guess.

Sounds like your alternate plans aren't gonna happen though, with no safer shelter and no gas to get anywhere else. So hope you've got supplies and best of luck to you. God bless.

My folks live in N. Ft. Myers. They happened to be out on a road trip and decided to stay in Kentucky until things pass and are hoping they have a place to go home to after its over.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe head up to the panhandle area for a couple of days. That might be away from the main storm enough to be in a better spot for a while. We're thinking of you BK!! Be safe my friend!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be safe. Fill up bottles of water now. If you live in a low area move things to safe places high in the house. We will be thinking of uou

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right after Hurricane Katrina:

There was a lady stranded on a roof. A couple of guy in a small boat came by, she waived them off. Said "God will save me". A couple of hours a bigger boat came by and she waived them off saying "God will save me". Next day a Helicopter tried to assist her and she waived them off told them "God will save me". After to more days she perished and went to heaven. When she got there she asked God why he did not save her?. God said what? I sent you two boats and a Helicopter.

Something to think about. What ever you do be safe and be smart about it.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I spent several months after hurricane Andrew in Miami. Came in with a couple buddies with a van load of plywood & a few chain saws the day after it hit. I couldn't begin to describe the destruction. Leave town.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't sound too good. Yikes. Be safe.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was here during Andrew. At that time I lived in Hollywood, it was bad but nothing too major. Wilma hit us harder here in Broward than Andrew did. I want to leave but I am going to wait until the middle of the night to do it, if I go. The only thing that I can't stand is the oppressive heat when the power goes out. If it wasn't for that, I would have no problem staying where I am. It's solid concrete with accordion shutters and even though I am in an evacuation zone, the house sits higher than when I lived 5 miles further west. So good luck and godspeed everyone on the east side of Florida, Ga. and S.C. I do want to hit the beach with my detector after the storm though. I hope a lot of sand gets moved around.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late summer heat, no power, or live wires in the water, flooding, no emergency services, two windows broken out, and a hole in the roof in 1 place if you're lucky, yeah, sounds like no fun to me. I would leave. If I were 50 feet or more above sea level, 20 miles inland with a hurricane resistant house, ie, one that had been engineered to withstand a cat 4 I might stay, but a tornado will overrule that engineering. I never really have liked storms.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemup, good luck and Godspeed. Hunting the beach immediately after this might be a good way to find a body. I hate storms. Hate.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many folks are putting trust in a computer module to try and track where this thing will go. Nobody truly knows where it will go - if I were you I would evacuate. When Harvey was coming all we kept hearing was Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi - now what do you hear? Houston. Just because you do not live in the 'projected path' of the eye of the storm doesn't mean you won't be waist deep in sh*t - or worse yet, dead. You have small children - my unsolicited advice would be to get out now.

Last edited:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in the Tampa-St. Pete area for 13 years before moving to Maryland. I do not miss that aspect of Florida living one iota. Stay safe.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup, stay safe brother. I'm still hoping it shifts a bit farther east for you.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope we all make it through it safe[emoji120]🏻

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread