Ammo Haul

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at a local yard sale on Friday that had lots of hunting / fishing items. I was digging through a box of jewelry and the woman stated moving boxes of ammo to another table in the shade and covering it with a blanket. I pulled a 10 kt 2 gram service pin and a sterling service pin for 50 cents each, a rattlesnake tail with 15 rattles for a dollar and a tackle box full of lures for $4. I asked her why she covered up the ammo and she replied " so it won't get hot and go off" She uncovered for me to look and after picking out a few boxes that I could use, I asked her how much would she take for everything. She said $75 and I started hauling to the van. Lot's of odd cartridges. Pictures don't include the half dozen boxes that I kept for myself. There was also a Lucite block with Weatherby rifle cartridges in it. One just like it sold for $180 last night on ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    959.9 KB · Views: 163

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where there is ammo, there is usually guns. Did you ask if she had any she was interested in selling?

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked about guns. Most had been sold before the sale. Her husband and father had both died in the last year and all of the stuff was theirs. She will be having another sale in the future. I left my card and told her to call if she found anything that she wanted to sell before the next yard sale.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it require special mailing to send ammo thru the mail?

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about mailing ammo. I am checking to see what family members need and then the rest will go to the flea market.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a garage sale once, they had ammo. Probably 15 or 20 boxes. I don't know anything about it. I don't shoot (hell, California boy here, I've never shot a gun in my life, but I'm willing... I guess).

I passed. I was pretty sure I could not sell it on Ebay. Where would you get rid of that stuff?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a garage sale once, they had ammo. Probably 15 or 20 boxes. I don't know anything about it. I don't shoot (hell, California boy here, I've never shot a gun in my life, but I'm willing... I guess).

I passed. I was pretty sure I could not sell it on Ebay. Where would you get rid of that stuff?

Locally on Armslist, or nationally on gunbroker.com would be your best bet. Always buy ammo if it is reasonably priced, it is always in high demand.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Weatherby display sold last night for $200. My father in law is an avid {91 year old} target shooter who still spends 3 or 4 nights a week shooting at his gun club. I got a list of his rifle calibers and it looks like my father in law is getting a rather large early Christmas present. Because of the cost of Ammo, he has gone to target shooting with a pellet rifle and was saving his ammo for hunting. After hearing of my haul and that he could have any of the ammo that he could use, I think that I might have moved up to favorite son in law.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can use the .450 Marlin and the 458 Winchester if you decide to ship? Let me know! Price Either way Nice score! As said Always buy cheap ammo in any caliber

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't legally ship or sell on treasurenet, so sorry.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't legally ship or sell on treasurenet, so sorry.

If you can get the ORM-D Stickers and declare them when shipping via FedEx, you can legally ship to anyone of legal age in a State that is legal to do so. Many of the folks selling ammo on Gunbroker and other sites that allow it, are not licensed Dealers. Check with the local Gun Shops or Pawn Shops that sell guns and ammo and they should be able to tell you where to get the stickers and how to ship the ammo. You can also check with the nearest ATF Office. If you list the .222 Remington on Gunbroker, please let me know.

Frank

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be a reasonable price?

That is a tough one to answer, so many different calibers out there. Your best bet would be to look up the going rate online when you come across it, and try to get it for 1/3 to 1/2 of retail if possible. If you are selling ammo, it will sell almost 100% of the time even at retail pricing.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Great score. You done good. I always ask about guns, ammo & old coins when I stop at estate sales. Sometimes you get lucky. This came from one of those sales. 1858 Enfield with possible Civil War use.

Attachments

• 1858 Enfield.JPG
    1858 Enfield.JPG
    543.4 KB · Views: 138

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
got anything for a siamese mauser?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard not to buy reloaded ammo if you're going to resale. True or not?

True, and I won't shoot anyone elses reloads either. Factory only, unless it is dirt cheap and you want to use it for components for your own reloads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread